Samantha Cesario | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Samantha Cesario

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Perhaps the answer is Rafael Arutunian for a coach.

He has really helped Ashley Wagner & Adam Rippon in the jump area. They were both strikingly better at Skam than in the past. Ashley could never get a 3/3 ratified as rotated and Adam's 3A was very, very sometime.

Icey

Record Breaker
Perhaps the answer is Rafael Arutunian for a coach.

He has really helped Ashley Wagner & Adam Rippon in the jump area. They were both strikingly better at Skam than in the past. Ashley could never get a 3/3 ratified as rotated and Adam's 3A was very, very sometime.

Except double footing which was problem early on with Ashley, seems to POSSIBLY be creeping back in.

noidont

Final Flight
Samantha's problem is that she is 20 and skating the first GP event of her life. The average 20 year olds have been skating senior for 4-5 years. While she looked mature and skated reasonably well, she hasn't quite established a style of her own yet, unlike Caroline Zhang, who is only a few months older than Cesario, has established, lost, re-established and lost herself for a few times already. Samantha's physique seems to bode well for booming later though. She probably would have more longevity than Gao, Zawadzki and Hicks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Samantha's problem is that she is 20 and skating the first GP event of her life. The average 20 year olds have been skating senior for 4-5 years. While she looked mature and skated reasonably well, she hasn't quite established a style of her own yet, unlike Caroline Zhang, who is only a few months older than Cesario, has established, lost, re-established and lost herself for a few times already. Samantha's physique seems to bode well for booming later though. She probably would have more longevity than Gao, Zawadzki and Hicks.

She probably would have gotten to the GP sooner had it not been for the fact that she's had to WD from Nationals two years in a row due to injury. Her first Nationals as a senior was in 2010, but missed 2011 and 2012 and came back in 8th in 2013.

She always did well enough in JGP to keep herself in the ISP for the following year.

But yes, just as well, the timing is probably right in the end.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I thoroughly enjoyed Samantha. She has a sexy, flirty, sassy style that really works for her. I think both programs are very well done and I'm in love with her Carmen FS. Great musicality in the choreography, I love the attitude she gives it, and to top it all off she executed her jumps very well. I think some higher level spins and footwork would really move her up in the standings.

This was her first event and she didn't come in as a hyped newbie senior which, in a way, allows her to fly under the radar. The downside is the judges weren't paying too much attention to her. Finishing top 5 and skating as well as she did was a great step in the right direction for her. If she continues to skate well and improve she'll see those scores start to rise...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If you can do a double jump, in the vast majority of cases, you will be able to do a 2.5 jump as well. It's not exactly 'factually harder.'

What experience do you having in skating? Have you ever actually tried to do such a move? It is certainly harder to execute cleanly than just a double. A lot of skaters can barely squeak out a solid 2Loop on the end of a Triple; even that is not necessarily "easy". Trying to add an extra half rotation will often end in a bad landing.

I just don't get the 'skaters being penalised twice argument.' Technical panel deals with the base value, judges deal with the GOE.

Yes, exactly. Therefore, judges should be scoring a 3Loop+3Loop<< combo relative to how that kind of move can be expected to be executed!!! It shouldn't automatically get -GOE or else there is no basis for differentiating skaters.

It's like saying that if a jump receives +2 GOE then the skater is being rewarded twice. First by the technical panel which calls the jump and then by the judges. Well yes, that's how the system works. ;)

It's not like saying that at all. If a skater gets +2 GOE on a jump, then they presumably executed the element well enough to earn it. The EFFORT they put into the jump and the CONTROL they displayed was that much better than someone who did a jump with 0 GOE or +1 GOE quality. When someone goes out there and does a clean 3Loop+3Loop<<, it shouldn't be worth less points than a 3Loop+2Loop, which is actually an easier move. The skater who did the 3Loop+3Loop<< displayed just as much technical ability, or even more, than the skater who did a 3Loop+2Loop. It isn't an illegal element, like a backflip. So why is the former skater being penalized?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just noticed that Sam's ChSq was the best of the event, with a +1.70 GOE!! :clap:

samson

Medalist
For a grand prix debut it was very respectable. And she scored a 114.47 in the long. That's a great score when you're making your grand prix debut. Honestly you can kind of tell she hasn't been competing much in the senior ranks. On the hand she skates with a certain polish more typical of a seasoned senior lady. And her packaging is really strong.

But for me, as much as I love the details and the way she sold that footwork, and I thought her choreographed sequence was amazing, she's missing a certain power to her skating.

Also, as we all know, PCS are as much about reputation as anything else. She would probably help herself by switching to a simpler combo in the short that she knows will get ratified every time she goes out there. She seems to train her programs well, and has a pretty good head for competition, but if she can put out clean sp's it will go a long way to building her reputation I think.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I've been a fan of Samantha for many years. I was so happy to see she got Skate America. Good for her. Clean up those ur's. She is so musical and talented. I bleccched when I heard she was doing Carmen this year, but it works for me. She sells it. I'm not sure it's enough to make the Olympic team, but it's really good.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm glad she has fans here. No one can fully rotate her jumps except YuNa Kim. This girl is elegant, perfect tiny body to compete with Japanese girls. She is a wonderful performer. I go with the artists-I am a 6.0 observer I guess. The CoP obsession with fractions on ice is making, breakling wrong skaters. Who cares, its a very hard combo-go watch Tara do it at Nagano. Sam's looks better. I used to get mad when Jenny and Angela did not get higher marks, but Agela blew it a lot. This girl did two great programs. She and Kiza love it out there. Ash will catch up. I hope Sam gets the PCS she deserves. Blades is right. That LP flew by. She is special-if she rotated enough she should be on podium. Maybe Wang, Gao and Cesario bring it. Agnes blows it, Mirai lost her spunk. Alissa can't compete, Flatt is too busy to be in top form, Zhang is ? -This girl is beautiful and exciting to watch. She was far better than Elena, a gaweky child jumper and Liza imho. She's a complete package. I guess I am tired of seeing people who lose heart because they get nervous and can't fully rotate a triple triple. It seems all we hear is this under CoP/ Edge calls and under rotations are the makers/breakers.

I would rather watch a true artist like Adam or Samantha than Hicks, who is so one note.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Yes it was clean. The underrotation is separate from the quality of the element. She did a solid 3Loop+3Loop<< combo. The underrotation is already penalized by making this combo worth no more than a 3Loop+2Loop. There's NO reason it should be further penalize with -GOE. This is a bad CoP rule that does nothing but wrongfully punish skaters for attempting harder content. Why should a 3Loop+2Loop score higher than a 3Loop+3Loop<<? The latter combo is actually more difficult...

This! I am sick of the double penalty for an under rotation. Either give it full credit with negative GOE, or partial credit with positive GOE. It's ludicrous that a 2.74 rotated second jump in a 3/3 combo should get less than a 3/2. No wonder this sport is dying!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
^

Well, a 2.74 rotated jump just gets a single < and is worth a decent amount of points (of course, the judges still usually give -GOE there as well). Cesario's 3Loop combo in the SP was deservedly called as << because it lacked a lot of rotation, so a bigger penalty is fair. It's just the GOE scores that are a problem.

Although, after closely watching Cesario's 3Loop in the LP, it didn't deserve the < call. The technique isn't great, but the rotation was adequate.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
^

Well, a 2.74 rotated jump just gets a single < and is worth a decent amount of points (of course, the judges still usually give -GOE there as well). Cesario's 3Loop combo in the SP was deservedly called as << because it lacked a lot of rotation, so a bigger penalty is fair. It's just the GOE scores that are
Although, after closely watching Cesario's 3Loop in the LP, it didn't deserve the < call. The technique isn't great, but the rotation was adequate.

Agree 100 percent. I just meant that a 3 / 2.74 with negative GOE (due to under rotation) could get less than the similarly executed 3/2 with positive GOE (and full rotation).

For example, 3L/2L with +1 GOE earns a 7.60. A 3L/2L< earns a 9.40 with a +1 GOE. Hoewever, since it almost automatically becomes a -2 GOE fir the under rotation, it is now worth only 7.30. Thus, a 3/3 with a < is worth less than a similarly executed 3/2.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Then why should she bother? I hope she just does 3/2 loop from now on. much ado about jumps.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Then why should she bother? I hope she just does 3/2 loop from now on. much ado about jumps.

Unfortuntately, the calculated approach is not to bother. The result is that fans will be deprived of some very beautiful, but slightly under rotated, 3/3. Ditto for being deprived of lightning fast scratch spins and ethereal spiral sequences. Count those rotations on that ugly split leg spin!

bump

Match Penalty
She'll probably be one of those skaters a few years down the line that you're like, "oh yeah, I forgot she was a skater" when someone mentions her name.

CarneAsada

Medalist

I get bored by watching skaters without back end 3toe being restricted to double loops due to underrotation worries. There's something thrilling about a good 3/3 loop combination that I'd miss if no one did them.