Samantha Cesario | Golden Skate

Samantha Cesario

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She is fabulous! Great program, great skate. I'd like to see her win a medal at Nationals. She is under appreciated-Why?

ghislaine

Rinkside
She's pleasant enough to watch but nothing stands out. I liked her enthusiasm for the Carmen program, but she didn't exactly come to it with a new and unique take.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samantha has a UR problem which caused her Skate America SP to be scored very low. Her FS was much better, but she still got a UR call.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand why skaters try and do a triple loop triple loop combination. It's almost impossible to rotate the second loop jump yet Cesario keeps trying to land it. Why not go for a triple flip triple toe or a triple toe triple toe combo?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The problem wasn't the UR calls, but the PCS. She deserved way, way more. Also, mandatory -GOE for a << jump is so dumb. Her 3Loop+3Loop<< combo in the SP should have received +1 GOE. It was clean and aggressive. More backwards CoP rules.

I don't understand why skaters try and do a triple loop triple loop combination. It's almost impossible to rotate the second loop jump yet Cesario keeps trying to land it. Why not go for a triple flip triple toe or a triple toe triple toe combo?

3Loop+3Loop< (which she already achieved at Liberty Open this year) is worth more than 3Toe+3Toe, in base value anyway. Also, any 3Toe she tries in combo is going to be <. She just doesn't have the natural inclination for that move. If her 3Flip+3Toe ever gets consistent enough in practice, then I'm sure she'll put it in her programs.

flying camel

Medalist
I love her Carmen. She makes it so exciting to watch. I thought she should have been third. I too would love for her to medal at Nationals or at least get 4th.

What improvements does she need to make in her SP to be more competitive? She strikes me as the curious type, perhaps she reads here and is curious as to what people are saying about her.

I always felt she should perform the triple loop/ triple toe. I wonder if she has trained that. I agree with some other posters the loop/ loop is just too hard to rotate.

I like her. She is not scared to compete like so many of the other ladies.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I thought her FS was great technically, but she didn't connect much with the audience. She'll have to become more interesting to really be noticed as a contender.

Her passion and commitment to her choreography are great. Elegant, mature interpretation.

One of the more interesting female skaters I have seen in recent years.

Unfortunately she struggles with fully rotating her jumps and has a flutz. It is going to be hard to address those issues this late but I hope her team will at least try.

Also, mandatory -GOE for a << jump is so dumb. Her 3Loop+3Loop<< combo in the SP should have received +1 GOE. It was clean and aggressive. More backwards CoP rules.

It should have received +1 GOE before any deductions have been applied, yes. But it wasn't clean. The second jump was underrotated over 1/2.

So if you went with +1 for base value -2 for underrotation over 1/2, you'd arrive at -1.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
It should have received +1 GOE before any deductions have been applied, yes. But it wasn't clean. The second jump was underrotated over 1/2.

Yes it was clean. The underrotation is separate from the quality of the element. She did a solid 3Loop+3Loop<< combo. The underrotation is already penalized by making this combo worth no more than a 3Loop+2Loop. There's NO reason it should be further penalize with -GOE. This is a bad CoP rule that does nothing but wrongfully punish skaters for attempting harder content. Why should a 3Loop+2Loop score higher than a 3Loop+3Loop<<? The latter combo is actually more difficult...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I watched on NBC so I missed her L.p. Thank you for the link. I really enjoyed both her programs! And that's something I haven't been able to say about very many ladies in recent years. I hope she is able to fix her jump problems, but I fear Ziggy is right. It is sad that she had so many injuries at key points in her career. However, there is a little hope. Her URs are much less than they were when I first saw her skate. She's moving in the right direction.

Her jumps looked stronger than in the past. The underrotation issue has definitely improved so it's probably something she has been working on.

Yes it was clean. The underrotation is separate from the quality of the element. She did a solid 3Loop+3Loop<< combo. The underrotation is already penalized by making this combo worth no more than a 3Loop+2Loop. There's NO reason it should be further penalize with -GOE. This is a bad CoP rule that does nothing but wrongfully punish skaters for attempting harder content. Why should a 3Loop+2Loop score higher than a 3Loop+3Loop<<? The latter combo is actually more difficult...

A clean jump is a jump which is fully rotated and landed backwards on one foot, on an outside edge.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Landing backwards doesn't define a "clean" landing. A jump is a jump - you go up in the air and come down. The amount of rotation and where you land is all relative. There is such a thing as "2.5" jump - where you PLAN on landing forward. I did those for high level ISI testing. In the ISU rules, such a jump is called as a << Triple and receives the same points as a Double. That's fine, the sport shouldn't actually encourage "2.5" jumps, but they shouldn't be further penalized for no reason either. A 3Loop+3Loop<< is factually harder than a 3Loop+2Loop. If the 3Loop<< is landed cleanly, then score it as you would a clean 3Loop+2Loop. Giving it less points is a misrepresentation of what the skater accomplished on the ice. And, after all, CoP is supposed to be all about rewarding exactly what the skater did.

The amount of rotation and where you land is all relative.

No it isn't. Jumps are supposed to be landed on a backward outside edge, after completing one, two, three or four revolutions. That's how ISU defines jumps.

That's fine, the sport shouldn't actually encourage "2.5" jumps, but they shouldn't be further penalized for no reason either.

The reason is the landing isn't correct.

A 3Loop+3Loop<< is factually harder than a 3Loop+2Loop. If the 3Loop<< is landed cleanly, then score it as you would a clean 3Loop+2Loop. Giving it less points is a misrepresentation of what the skater accomplished on the ice.

If you can do a double jump, in the vast majority of cases, you will be able to do a 2.5 jump as well. It's not exactly 'factually harder.' Again: Under ISU rules jumps are supposed to be landed backward, not forward.

I just don't get the 'skaters being penalised twice argument.' Technical panel deals with the base value, judges deal with the GOE.

It's like saying that if a jump receives +2 GOE then the skater is being rewarded twice. First by the technical panel which calls the jump and then by the judges. Well yes, that's how the system works. ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad she had the opportunity to compete @ SA. Ticked off that NBC didn't show her performance ( so what else is new, NBC?). :mad:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link to Samantha's FS.....I was really :mad: when IN didn't show and then NBC didn't show it either. I am puzzled why her LP was called a level 3 in the SP but only a level 1 in the FS. I think both spins had the classic layback and then the sideways leaning part and a catchfoot. Maybe the number of rotations were different?

Can anyone help explain the difference in levels between the SP and FS? Thanks

Icey

Record Breaker

Zhang had one ratified at 2012 cup of china. I believe the jump has a 10.7 base value.

IleK

On the Ice
Glad somebody open a thread for Samantha. I became a fan since I saw her last year at JGP and I was so upset she injured herself and had to withdraw from her second event. She is one of a kind, she has a unique style. You know we always get excited when we discover a new talented girl and say she reminds me of...(like Angela Wang and Michelle Kwan). But Samantha doesn't remind me of anyone because I haven't seen somebody like her. She is like a lady from an ice dancing couple, skating and dancing without a partner. She is so classy and feminine and full of attack in the same time. I still can't understand how can she underrotate so much when she has so powerful and high jumps and almost always lands them very nicely. I don't know if this problem will ever disappear, is a big one and very complicated. I remember Mirai was very very young when she got called for all her jumps as being underrotated. I think it was at Nationals right after the year she won nationals. Everybody said she had a growth spurt and she seemed ok for a few years including 2010 and than the problem reappeared. Mao and Ashley are also fighting with this. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. At SA they both had troubles underrotating some jumps.

Anyway, I am a big fan of Samantha. She and Liza impressed me the most at SA. I also liked Ashley but she lacked some of her nerve, she was very cautious. But Samantha and Liza gave it all.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
According to Wiki:
She attempts 3Lo–3Lo combinations more commonly than 3T–3T because there is less pressure on her facet joint.
so this is why she keeps trying the 3Lo+3Lo!
Anyway, I think that she's becoming probably one of favourite skaters :love: