Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Samantha Cesario

I'm glad she had the opportunity to compete @ SA. Ticked off that NBC didn't show her performance ( so what else is new, NBC?).

Thanks for the link to Samantha's FS.....I was really when IN didn't show and then NBC didn't show it either. I am puzzled why her LP was called a level 3 in the SP but only a level 1 in the FS. I think both spins had the classic layback and then the sideways leaning part and a catchfoot. Maybe the number of rotations were different?

Can anyone help explain the difference in levels between the SP and FS? Thanks

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't understand why skaters try and do a triple loop triple loop combination. It's almost impossible to rotate the second loop jump yet Cesario keeps trying to land it. Why not go for a triple flip triple toe or a triple toe triple toe combo?

Zhang had one ratified at 2012 cup of china. I believe the jump has a 10.7 base value.

Custom Title
    Glad somebody open a thread for Samantha. I became a fan since I saw her last year at JGP and I was so upset she injured herself and had to withdraw from her second event. She is one of a kind, she has a unique style. You know we always get excited when we discover a new talented girl and say she reminds me of...(like Angela Wang and Michelle Kwan). But Samantha doesn't remind me of anyone because I haven't seen somebody like her. She is like a lady from an ice dancing couple, skating and dancing without a partner. She is so classy and feminine and full of attack in the same time. I still can't understand how can she underrotate so much when she has so powerful and high jumps and almost always lands them very nicely. I don't know if this problem will ever disappear, is a big one and very complicated. I remember Mirai was very very young when she got called for all her jumps as being underrotated. I think it was at Nationals right after the year she won nationals. Everybody said she had a growth spurt and she seemed ok for a few years including 2010 and than the problem reappeared. Mao and Ashley are also fighting with this. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. At SA they both had troubles underrotating some jumps.

Anyway, I am a big fan of Samantha. She and Liza impressed me the most at SA. I also liked Ashley but she lacked some of her nerve, she was very cautious. But Samantha and Liza gave it all.

According to Wiki:
    She attempts 3Lo–3Lo combinations more commonly than 3T–3T because there is less pressure on her facet joint.
    so this is why she keeps trying the 3Lo+3Lo!
    Anyway, I think that she's becoming probably one of favourite skaters

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Perhaps the answer is Rafael Arutunian for a coach.

He has really helped Ashley Wagner & Adam Rippon in the jump area. They were both strikingly better at Skam than in the past. Ashley could never get a 3/3 ratified as rotated and Adam's 3A was very, very sometime.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Perhaps the answer is Rafael Arutunian for a coach.

He has really helped Ashley Wagner & Adam Rippon in the jump area. They were both strikingly better at Skam than in the past. Ashley could never get a 3/3 ratified as rotated and Adam's 3A was very, very sometime.
    Except double footing which was problem early on with Ashley, seems to POSSIBLY be creeping back in.

Custom Title
    Samantha's problem is that she is 20 and skating the first GP event of her life. The average 20 year olds have been skating senior for 4-5 years. While she looked mature and skated reasonably well, she hasn't quite established a style of her own yet, unlike Caroline Zhang, who is only a few months older than Cesario, has established, lost, re-established and lost herself for a few times already. Samantha's physique seems to bode well for booming later though. She probably would have more longevity than Gao, Zawadzki and Hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Samantha's problem is that she is 20 and skating the first GP event of her life. The average 20 year olds have been skating senior for 4-5 years. While she looked mature and skated reasonably well, she hasn't quite established a style of her own yet, unlike Caroline Zhang, who is only a few months older than Cesario, has established, lost, re-established and lost herself for a few times already. Samantha's physique seems to bode well for booming later though. She probably would have more longevity than Gao, Zawadzki and Hicks.
    She probably would have gotten to the GP sooner had it not been for the fact that she's had to WD from Nationals two years in a row due to injury. Her first Nationals as a senior was in 2010, but missed 2011 and 2012 and came back in 8th in 2013.

She always did well enough in JGP to keep herself in the ISP for the following year.

But yes, just as well, the timing is probably right in the end.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I thoroughly enjoyed Samantha. She has a sexy, flirty, sassy style that really works for her. I think both programs are very well done and I'm in love with her Carmen FS. Great musicality in the choreography, I love the attitude she gives it, and to top it all off she executed her jumps very well. I think some higher level spins and footwork would really move her up in the standings.

This was her first event and she didn't come in as a hyped newbie senior which, in a way, allows her to fly under the radar. The downside is the judges weren't paying too much attention to her. Finishing top 5 and skating as well as she did was a great step in the right direction for her. If she continues to skate well and improve she'll see those scores start to rise...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If you can do a double jump, in the vast majority of cases, you will be able to do a 2.5 jump as well. It's not exactly 'factually harder.'
    What experience do you having in skating? Have you ever actually tried to do such a move? It is certainly harder to execute cleanly than just a double. A lot of skaters can barely squeak out a solid 2Loop on the end of a Triple; even that is not necessarily "easy". Trying to add an extra half rotation will often end in a bad landing.

I just don't get the 'skaters being penalised twice argument.' Technical panel deals with the base value, judges deal with the GOE.
    Yes, exactly. Therefore, judges should be scoring a 3Loop+3Loop<< combo relative to how that kind of move can be expected to be executed!!! It shouldn't automatically get -GOE or else there is no basis for differentiating skaters.

It's like saying that if a jump receives +2 GOE then the skater is being rewarded twice. First by the technical panel which calls the jump and then by the judges. Well yes, that's how the system works.
    It's not like saying that at all. If a skater gets +2 GOE on a jump, then they presumably executed the element well enough to earn it. The EFFORT they put into the jump and the CONTROL they displayed was that much better than someone who did a jump with 0 GOE or +1 GOE quality. When someone goes out there and does a clean 3Loop+3Loop<<, it shouldn't be worth less points than a 3Loop+2Loop, which is actually an easier move. The skater who did the 3Loop+3Loop<< displayed just as much technical ability, or even more, than the skater who did a 3Loop+2Loop. It isn't an illegal element, like a backflip. So why is the former skater being penalized?

Just noticed that Sam's ChSq was the best of the event, with a +1.70 GOE!!

Custom Title
    For a grand prix debut it was very respectable. And she scored a 114.47 in the long. That's a great score when you're making your grand prix debut. Honestly you can kind of tell she hasn't been competing much in the senior ranks. On the hand she skates with a certain polish more typical of a seasoned senior lady. And her packaging is really strong.

But for me, as much as I love the details and the way she sold that footwork, and I thought her choreographed sequence was amazing, she's missing a certain power to her skating.

Also, as we all know, PCS are as much about reputation as anything else. She would probably help herself by switching to a simpler combo in the short that she knows will get ratified every time she goes out there. She seems to train her programs well, and has a pretty good head for competition, but if she can put out clean sp's it will go a long way to building her reputation I think.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    I've been a fan of Samantha for many years. I was so happy to see she got Skate America. Good for her. Clean up those ur's. She is so musical and talented. I bleccched when I heard she was doing Carmen this year, but it works for me. She sells it. I'm not sure it's enough to make the Olympic team, but it's really good.

Lifelong Adam Fan KwanIsALegend's Avatar
    Her Carmen has movements that are copied directly from Sasha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiosXEFpEIM
    and Michelle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQp_cV3xBI

I don't think skaters should copy other skaters, a skater should develop their own style. But she does show promise. Look forward to seeing more of her this season.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast