Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Samantha Cesario

I'm glad she has fans here. No one can fully rotate her jumps except YuNa Kim. This girl is elegant, perfect tiny body to compete with Japanese girls. She is a wonderful performer. I go with the artists-I am a 6.0 observer I guess. The CoP obsession with fractions on ice is making, breakling wrong skaters. Who cares, its a very hard combo-go watch Tara do it at Nagano. Sam's looks better. I used to get mad when Jenny and Angela did not get higher marks, but Agela blew it a lot. This girl did two great programs. She and Kiza love it out there. Ash will catch up. I hope Sam gets the PCS she deserves. Blades is right. That LP flew by. She is special-if she rotated enough she should be on podium. Maybe Wang, Gao and Cesario bring it. Agnes blows it, Mirai lost her spunk. Alissa can't compete, Flatt is too busy to be in top form, Zhang is ? -This girl is beautiful and exciting to watch. She was far better than Elena, a gaweky child jumper and Liza imho. She's a complete package. I guess I am tired of seeing people who lose heart because they get nervous and can't fully rotate a triple triple. It seems all we hear is this under CoP/ Edge calls and under rotations are the makers/breakers.

I would rather watch a true artist like Adam or Samantha than Hicks, who is so one note.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yes it was clean. The underrotation is separate from the quality of the element. She did a solid 3Loop+3Loop<< combo. The underrotation is already penalized by making this combo worth no more than a 3Loop+2Loop. There's NO reason it should be further penalize with -GOE. This is a bad CoP rule that does nothing but wrongfully punish skaters for attempting harder content. Why should a 3Loop+2Loop score higher than a 3Loop+3Loop<<? The latter combo is actually more difficult...
    This! I am sick of the double penalty for an under rotation. Either give it full credit with negative GOE, or partial credit with positive GOE. It's ludicrous that a 2.74 rotated second jump in a 3/3 combo should get less than a 3/2. No wonder this sport is dying!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    ^

Well, a 2.74 rotated jump just gets a single < and is worth a decent amount of points (of course, the judges still usually give -GOE there as well). Cesario's 3Loop combo in the SP was deservedly called as << because it lacked a lot of rotation, so a bigger penalty is fair. It's just the GOE scores that are a problem.

Although, after closely watching Cesario's 3Loop in the LP, it didn't deserve the < call. The technique isn't great, but the rotation was adequate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    ^

Well, a 2.74 rotated jump just gets a single < and is worth a decent amount of points (of course, the judges still usually give -GOE there as well). Cesario's 3Loop combo in the SP was deservedly called as << because it lacked a lot of rotation, so a bigger penalty is fair. It's just the GOE scores that are
    Although, after closely watching Cesario's 3Loop in the LP, it didn't deserve the < call. The technique isn't great, but the rotation was adequate.
    Agree 100 percent. I just meant that a 3 / 2.74 with negative GOE (due to under rotation) could get less than the similarly executed 3/2 with positive GOE (and full rotation).

For example, 3L/2L with +1 GOE earns a 7.60. A 3L/2L< earns a 9.40 with a +1 GOE. Hoewever, since it almost automatically becomes a -2 GOE fir the under rotation, it is now worth only 7.30. Thus, a 3/3 with a < is worth less than a similarly executed 3/2.

Yes, that's true. It's annoying.

Then why should she bother? I hope she just does 3/2 loop from now on. much ado about jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Then why should she bother? I hope she just does 3/2 loop from now on. much ado about jumps.
    Unfortuntately, the calculated approach is not to bother. The result is that fans will be deprived of some very beautiful, but slightly under rotated, 3/3. Ditto for being deprived of lightning fast scratch spins and ethereal spiral sequences. Count those rotations on that ugly split leg spin!

Banned
    She'll probably be one of those skaters a few years down the line that you're like, "oh yeah, I forgot she was a skater" when someone mentions her name.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I get bored by watching skaters without back end 3toe being restricted to double loops due to underrotation worries. There's something thrilling about a good 3/3 loop combination that I'd miss if no one did them.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Me, too. Sam's 3Lo3Lo is awesome live. We saw her skate at Liberty this summer.

Custom Title
    4-5-6 at Nationals will get sent to Four Continents. Lots of ISU points up for grabs with which to set oneself up nicely for 2014-15

Custom Title
    I think Sam may be the next Wanger. Her body type is more appealing, and has even stronger presence on the ice.

Only one thing I am not sure: she had been using Carmen for for her short program for like three years (I think it is same program), and this year using it for her long. Just wonder whether she can do any other non-sassy type of music, or even not-carmen type of music.

Well her Fever short was good too.

Well, that's the same kind of sassy style. And her Black Swan program last year was in that same vein, just darker in tone. But I do think Cesario is capable of other things.

I'm just glad to see a watchable ladies' skater-there aren't that many of them these days, IMO. If sassy is her style, I'll not complain because she should be skating to opera or something.

But I think she could manage it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast