Most beautiful couples | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most beautiful couples

I don't think that beauty fades; it merely changes. If you look at someone like Georgia O'Keeffe in her late years, you see what I mean. (And she was as weathered as they get, living in the sun in New Mexico for decades doing those magnificent paintings.) We have the perfection of each age of Katia's beauty on YouTube and in photographs, and this is just another stage. Heaven forbid Katia goes in for that awful girlish embalming that many people do. Cher would have aged magnificently, with that aquiline bone structure, and she's frozen herself, as has Peggy Fleming. Maybe they have to for their professions, but Katia doesn't.

And how wonderful that she's kept up her meticulous skating technique. Her jumps haven't been strong for a long time (since before her solo career started), but they're as good as she can keep them, and all the other aspects are lovely, from the footwork to the spins. She respects her audience and doesn't phone in her performance. Remember that amazing James Bond duo she did with Valeri Bure a few years ago, where she let him lift her so precariously and just went for it. Yeah, hockey players are strong, but he could have lost his balance, and she seemed ready for the challenge--plus they must have trained like demons for hours--both aspects evidence of her commitment to a program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQaBbs30Js

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't think that beauty fades; it merely changes. If you look at someone like Georgia O'Keeffe in her late years, you see what I mean. (And she was as weathered as they get, living in the sun in New Mexico for decades doing those magnificent paintings.) We have the perfection of each age of Katia's beauty on YouTube and in photographs, and this is just another stage. Heaven forbid Katia goes in for that awful girlish embalming that many people do. Cher would have aged magnificently, with that aquiline bone structure, and she's frozen herself, as has Peggy Fleming. Maybe they have to for their professions, but Katia doesn't.

And how wonderful that she's kept up her meticulous skating technique. Her jumps haven't been strong for a long time (since before her solo career started), but they're as good as she can keep them, and all the other aspects are lovely, from the footwork to the spins. She respects her audience and doesn't phone in her performance. Remember that amazing James Bond duo she did with Valeri Bure a few years ago, where she let him lift her so precariously and just went for it. Yeah, hockey players are strong, but he could have lost his balance, and she seemed ready for the challenge--plus they must have trained like demons for hours--both aspects evidence of her commitment to a program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQaBbs30Js

I don't believe in this "beauty" in every age; there are certainly degrees of beauty in different periods, with the highest in a person's prime. More wisdom, experience, etc. can't capture the lushness of youth and energy. Beauty is largely a biological function in the guise of aesthetics, and if the reproductive years wane, so does the attractiveness. Most of these forces are unconscious and over-education makes people forget that we are animals.

Old age and decaying bodies/looks are a terrible thing. Senility, body odor, arthritis, Alzheimer's, deteriorating cognitive function, etc. Aging isn't really a great thing, no matter how people spin it.
Cosmetic technology hasn't reached the point where its work is invisible. As soon as it's unnoticeable, people will do it en masse.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that. I had a relative who was a hundred years old, and my experience of beauty does not match your description.

BlackPack

Medalist
You and I will have to agree to disagree on that. I had a relative who was a hundred years old, and my experience of beauty does not match your description.

There are 6-7 billion people on earth. There are many different experiences out there. An exception here and there doesn't make the rule. Personally, I've seen an alarming rate of people who rapidly declined as soon as they passed middle age.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'd like you to say the same in 50 years.

First, for all you know I'm well into my 60's. Second, I am confident I will age gracefully, as my mother and grandmother have before me. I have no delusions of being a bombshell at any age, or being as attractive as I was when I was 21 ever again. However, I genuinely pity you because you have a very narrow and IMO disturbing view of beauty. It's your right to feel how you feel, but there is no need to put others down because they decline to adopt your narrow views. I view each year that I age as a gift. The alternative to aging is death. I do believe firmly that I will always feel this way, as my mother still does and as my grandmothers did before their death. I believe there is a lot more to me than how I look. I would rank how I look as extremely low on my list of priorities. I believe I am beautiful to those who know me, and I believe that to them I get more beautiful with time as they know me better. I feel that way about almost everyone I am close to. I feel sorry for you that you have never experienced this feeling.

Also, as an absolute clarification, I am not saying and don't think anyone is saying that anyone can have the same kind of youthful drop dead gorgeous, supermodel beauty past the age of 50 or whatever arbitrary age you feel comfortable throwing down. We are just saying beauty takes different forms as you age and people can in fact be beautiful at any age. Again, I just feel sorry for you that you don't see this.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i'm guessing to cover greys, and maybe the pressure to be blond in so cal. maybe ilia made a comment about how pretty she'd look as a blond. maybe just a change. she is clearly a sun lover, unless the wrinkles are from smoking, which I doubt. Katia never seemed overly fussy off ice about her look and I never recall overdone make up. Sadly as we women all know, beauty does fade in your forties. She still has the perfect petite skater's body. She truly loves the ice. Their love was very obvious. I agree we will not likely see another couple like them. Very special-and both are forever young in our minds. It was 1995. Life goes quickly, even mine.

Wow, life is so sad. Beauty fading at 40. Someone should have told Cher and Madonna that.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, you are not superficial Olympia, but the culture is. It grows worse every day. baby boomers are trying to look young. Paul McCartney at 71 graces te cover of rolling stone. Even as a male, I noticed he went gray when with Linda his ge. Then he died it when he married half his age, blond model, whats her face. Then third wife is maybe 15-20 years younger and of course dyes her hair. Paul cannot get old. It is funny how we have stages full of old Brit rockers, with lots of hair dye(the men) where women who look their age must retire and hide, or risk the platicky plastic surgery.

Only Annette Bening, with a much older hubby seems to resist all this in Hollywood. And Meryl Streep. I think anyway. It is an awful world really, a man's world where we women are losing ground yearly in every way.

Maybe we should not have these superficial beauty threads. As after all, only the 90's stars have gotten to age. And the men never get it stuck to them. Like th bald guys. We seem to accept them. But women are more charitable and smart ones dn't pick a pretty boy alone.

I do think even the most gorgeous women are using expensive treatments by 50 to stay in the Hollywood game. But it is a man's world and the casting couch is no myth. So many Hollywood bombshells start out doing things
they should not have to. So this emphasi on plastic surgery is very bad, and the masses will never have the money to get great surgeons. They are largely clustered in LA, NYC and Miami.

Madonna is a conceited woman whose beauty was never more than skin deep. Having kids humanized her ambition/ego I think. Cher has always been so honest-likable. But she looks nothing like the Cher we knew. She has really railed against aging in Hollywood. Consequently, he look has made her uncastable.

Meryl Streep was a young beauty. Her uncharacteristic natural aging has kept her a sought after actress with many roles still offered. Those incredible cheekbones/eyes in Sophie's Choice are still there but plumper. I still think she is extraordinary looking. Not a bit plast-icky.

BlackPack

Medalist
First, for all you know I'm well into my 60's. Second, I am confident I will age gracefully, as my mother and grandmother have before me. I have no delusions of being a bombshell at any age, or being as attractive as I was when I was 21 ever again. However, I genuinely pity you because you have a very narrow and IMO disturbing view of beauty. It's your right to feel how you feel, but there is no need to put others down because they decline to adopt your narrow views. I view each year that I age as a gift. The alternative to aging is death. I do believe firmly that I will always feel this way, as my mother still does and as my grandmothers did before their death. I believe there is a lot more to me than how I look. I would rank how I look as extremely low on my list of priorities. I believe I am beautiful to those who know me, and I believe that to them I get more beautiful with time as they know me better. I feel that way about almost everyone I am close to. I feel sorry for you that you have never experienced this feeling.

Also, as an absolute clarification, I am not saying and don't think anyone is saying that anyone can have the same kind of youthful drop dead gorgeous, supermodel beauty past the age of 50 or whatever arbitrary age you feel comfortable throwing down. We are just saying beauty takes different forms as you age and people can in fact be beautiful at any age. Again, I just feel sorry for you that you don't see this.

If you must take the condescending route to feel better, then it's your right. You sound too butthurt over someone like me whom you find narrow-minded and pitiful. I find wallowing in delusions to be more disturbing than facing reality. I've seen people die of cancer, have strokes, languish in comas, and have unusual diseases, mostly due to aging.

People can go on and on about "inner beauty" which is merely a band-aid for inadequate looks. "Inner beauty" is mostly a mythical abstraction. Many people tell themselves that they have strength of character and kindness, thus inner beauty. Unless they've been tested and have proven to have strength of character and kindness under pressure and tough circumstances, I don't think those claims are legitimate.