Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Most beautiful couples

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Oh, sorry, BlackPack. Good going on your part: they're a wonderful pair, and I'm glad you remembered them. I either read carelessly or zoned out and forgot.
    I zone out a lot

As beautiful and handsome so many skaters are, I haven't actually been attracted to them!

Custom Title
    If we're looking for beauty - I think most of the teams mentioned have one beautiful component and the partner is just so-so. If we're looking for beauty on the ice I don't think anyone ever, IMO, could beat Katia and Sergei. The chemistry between them was almost palpable. I also think there are certain aspects of people that make them attractive; for example, if Charlie White got his hair cut short I think he would lose alot of that magnetism. Adam Rippon's curls were beautimous. Now he's just sort of average-looking. Meryl, to me, (and I don't mean this to be mean) looks like the blue lady in Avatar. I think her actions and her skating is beautiful but don't think she's particularly a beautiful woman. Scott Moir seems plastic to me. I thought Kurt Browning was very handsome when he was younger and before his hair started to recede. Now he's just cute! It's hard to separate the skating from the looks of the person. Great skaters kind of transcend physical beauty.

Custom Title
    Someone reminded me on another thread that Radka Kovarikova and Rene Novotny of the Czech Republic were/are a stunning pair.
    According to Wikipedia, Kovarikova and Novotny are divorced and she is remarried.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    If we're looking for beauty - I think most of the teams mentioned have one beautiful component and the partner is just so-so. If we're looking for beauty on the ice I don't think anyone ever, IMO, could beat Katia and Sergei. The chemistry between them was almost palpable. I also think there are certain aspects of people that make them attractive; for example, if Charlie White got his hair cut short I think he would lose alot of that magnetism. Adam Rippon's curls were beautimous. Now he's just sort of average-looking. Meryl, to me, (and I don't mean this to be mean) looks like the blue lady in Avatar. I think her actions and her skating is beautiful but don't think she's particularly a beautiful woman. Scott Moir seems plastic to me. I thought Kurt Browning was very handsome when he was younger and before his hair started to recede. Now he's just cute! It's hard to separate the skating from the looks of the person. Great skaters kind of transcend physical beauty.
    I agree with you that no-one can ever beat Sergei and Katia, both individually and as a couple.
    I also agree with the person who posted about Katia's overly light hair and somewhat weather-beaten look these days. Why she has lightened her hair so much is beyond me when she has such a gorgeous natural chestnut color.

Objectively, I can see why G&G are hailed as the most beautiful, but they do absolutely nothing for me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I agree with you that no-one can ever beat Sergei and Katia, both individually and as a couple.
    I also agree with the person who posted about Katia's overly light hair and somewhat weather-beaten look these days. Why she has lightened her hair so much is beyond me when she has such a gorgeous natural chestnut color.
    I'm always sorry when women with lovely brown hair lighten their color. I preferred Princess Diana's natural chestnut color also.

In any case, Katia is a woman who will never look plain. What bone structure she has.

Custom Title
    I think the dueling divas and the sparring of words Johnny Weir and Evan Lycaek made or would make a great couple to be politically correct. Evan is dark and Johnny is fair and they have such different personalities when they were sparring with words it was like Ebony and Ivory -in perfect harmony (disharmony) but they have a good look about them.

Banned
    and of course Alexandra Stepanova and Ivan Bukin
    there my list is complete, I knew I missed 1 more couple

Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    i'm guessing to cover greys, and maybe the pressure to be blond in so cal. maybe ilia made a comment about how pretty she'd look as a blond. maybe just a change. she is clearly a sun lover, unless the wrinkles are from smoking, which I doubt. Katia never seemed overly fussy off ice about her look and I never recall overdone make up. Sadly as we women all know, beauty does fade in your forties. She still has the perfect petite skater's body. She truly loves the ice. Their love was very obvious. I agree we will not likely see another couple like them. Very special-and both are forever young in our minds. It was 1995. Life goes quickly, even mine.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    i'm guessing to cover greys, and maybe the pressure to be blond in so cal. maybe ilia made a comment about how pretty she'd look as a blond. maybe just a change. she is clearly a sun lover, unless the wrinkles are from smoking, which I doubt. Katia never seemed overly fussy off ice about her look and I never recall overdone make up. Sadly as we women all know, beauty does fade in your forties. She still has the perfect petite skater's body. She truly loves the ice. Their love was very obvious. I agree we will not likely see another couple like them. Very special-and both are forever young in our minds. It was 1995. Life goes quickly, even mine.
    This is what Gordeeva looks like this now. Sad to say the ethereal quality of skating isn't there in this program. Beauty sometimes fades even in the 30s. Sometimes the facial structure remains intact and the beautiful look is still there, but the bloom is gone. Let's just be happy Gordeeva was celebrated as possibly the greatest and most favored beauty for so many years in a sport full of beautiful people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsbVNd3KX8Y

Custom Title
    I don't think that beauty fades; it merely changes. If you look at someone like Georgia O'Keeffe in her late years, you see what I mean. (And she was as weathered as they get, living in the sun in New Mexico for decades doing those magnificent paintings.) We have the perfection of each age of Katia's beauty on YouTube and in photographs, and this is just another stage. Heaven forbid Katia goes in for that awful girlish embalming that many people do. Cher would have aged magnificently, with that aquiline bone structure, and she's frozen herself, as has Peggy Fleming. Maybe they have to for their professions, but Katia doesn't.

And how wonderful that she's kept up her meticulous skating technique. Her jumps haven't been strong for a long time (since before her solo career started), but they're as good as she can keep them, and all the other aspects are lovely, from the footwork to the spins. She respects her audience and doesn't phone in her performance. Remember that amazing James Bond duo she did with Valeri Bure a few years ago, where she let him lift her so precariously and just went for it. Yeah, hockey players are strong, but he could have lost his balance, and she seemed ready for the challenge--plus they must have trained like demons for hours--both aspects evidence of her commitment to a program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQaBbs30Js

I don't think that beauty fades; it merely changes. If you look at someone like Georgia O'Keeffe in her late years, you see what I mean. (And she was as weathered as they get, living in the sun in New Mexico for decades doing those magnificent paintings.) We have the perfection of each age of Katia's beauty on YouTube and in photographs, and this is just another stage. Heaven forbid Katia goes in for that awful girlish embalming that many people do. Cher would have aged magnificently, with that aquiline bone structure, and she's frozen herself, as has Peggy Fleming. Maybe they have to for their professions, but Katia doesn't.

And how wonderful that she's kept up her meticulous skating technique. Her jumps haven't been strong for a long time (since before her solo career started), but they're as good as she can keep them, and all the other aspects are lovely, from the footwork to the spins. She respects her audience and doesn't phone in her performance. Remember that amazing James Bond duo she did with Valeri Bure a few years ago, where she let him lift her so precariously and just went for it. Yeah, hockey players are strong, but he could have lost his balance, and she seemed ready for the challenge--plus they must have trained like demons for hours--both aspects evidence of her commitment to a program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQaBbs30Js
    I don't believe in this "beauty" in every age; there are certainly degrees of beauty in different periods, with the highest in a person's prime. More wisdom, experience, etc. can't capture the lushness of youth and energy. Beauty is largely a biological function in the guise of aesthetics, and if the reproductive years wane, so does the attractiveness. Most of these forces are unconscious and over-education makes people forget that we are animals.

Old age and decaying bodies/looks are a terrible thing. Senility, body odor, arthritis, Alzheimer's, deteriorating cognitive function, etc. Aging isn't really a great thing, no matter how people spin it.
    Cosmetic technology hasn't reached the point where its work is invisible. As soon as it's unnoticeable, people will do it en masse.

Custom Title
    You and I will have to agree to disagree on that. I had a relative who was a hundred years old, and my experience of beauty does not match your description.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that. I had a relative who was a hundred years old, and my experience of beauty does not match your description.
    There are 6-7 billion people on earth. There are many different experiences out there. An exception here and there doesn't make the rule. Personally, I've seen an alarming rate of people who rapidly declined as soon as they passed middle age.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast