Ashley Wagner has a good PR team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner has a good PR team

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's the hypocritical nature of the skating fandom. Some skaters (male or female) are allowed to say whatever they want how ever they want and fans praise them for going against the norm. Others get a good thrashing if they even think about going off script.

It's funny, Meryl is getting trashed over the fact that she was "too scripted" regarding her statement on the Russian law and now Ashley is getting trashed for being "too outspoken."

I guess the lesson is "Say what I want you to say."

Eislauf

On the Ice
I'm not convinced that being displeased by a stranger's impoliteness and commenting on it equals being "deeply upset," so very upset that she should stop signing autographs entirely for the sake of her own emotional stability. No, it's not some severe crime to neglect to thank a skater for an autograph, and there's no indication Ashley thought so either. She thought it was impolite and she said so. So she's a human being, and like the rest of us human beings, she sometimes gets annoyed by other people's attitudes and behaviour. So what? Do we still expect female figure skaters to be cartoon princesses who don't get irritated by anything, or at least never say so? I don't get how what she said is some big faux pas.

If you read my earlier post carefully, you'll see that I said IF she feels deeply upset. IF. She did tweet about it so perhaps it bothered her on some level. But as I ALSO said in my post, and you are in fact agreeing with me, maybe she was just tired or feeling cranky. Maybe the autograph hunters were also tired or just forgot to say thank you. The point is - NO-ONE KNOWS and thus it's presumptuous to assign psychological motivations to people. Thsis is where giving people the benefit of the doubt comes in.

As for not signing autographs, many celebrities, as someone pointed out, hand out photos with pre-printed signatures. Some celebrities don't even like having their pictures taken. All those fist fights with photographers spring to mind. To re-iterate my earlier post, not signing autographs is simply an OPTION, an option like handing out pre-printed photos, having their PR management sign and send a photo and so on. Options, darling!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
If you read my earlier post carefully, you'll see that I said IF she feels deeply upset. IF. She did tweet about it so perhaps it bothered her on some level. But as I ALSO said in my post, and you are in fact agreeing with me, maybe she was just tired or feeling cranky. Maybe the autograph hunters were also tired or just forgot to say thank you. The point is - NO-ONE KNOWS and thus it's presumptuous to assign psychological motivations to people. Thsis is where giving people the benefit of the doubt comes in.

As for not signing autographs, many celebrities, as someone pointed out, hand out photos with pre-printed signatures. Some celebrities don't even like having their pictures taken. All those fist fights with photographers spring to mind. To re-iterate my earlier post, not signing autographs is simply an OPTION, an option like handing out pre-printed photos, having their PR management sign and send a photo and so on. Options, darling!

Yes, I did read that, darling. Thanks anyway, for all the overemphasis meant to assist me in my reading comprehension.

My point is that I don't find her tweet to be problematic in the first place, so I don't see why she should have "behaved more graciously" just as the autograph-seeker should have (which you did say also). I also was not speculating on her mood, etc. Since I don't think anything she did was problematic in the first place, I don't see the need to speculate on whether she was in a bad mood or tired, etc., or whether she should consider other "options" to prevent her from getting "upset." 'Cause, you know, I don't think there's anything wrong with what she said anyway.

So no, we're not in agreement. You think what she did was at least a minor problem, and that she might consider taking steps to prevent it in the future, and oh, perhaps we should excuse her unseemly behaviour since she may have been tired or something. I don't believe there's simply nothing wrong with her comment, period, and don't see the need for excusing it or finding ways to correct it.

Eislauf

On the Ice
strongly disagree with your spin that Wagner should be happy that she is "worthy"(my word) of exploitation by autograph sellers.

And BTW, let's get real: if Wagner politely declined to fulfill any and all autograph requests, you and I both know that she would receive HUGE criticism -- no matter how sweetly she stated her across-the-board policy. I'm not saying that she would be criticized to her face, but she would get reamed on one or more GS threads; and on FSU; etc. (I do not think that she would deserve such criticism. But she already is getting criticized for one tweet.)

I think we are talking about more money (potentially) from autograph sales than you imagine.
ryanbfan noted in her/his post (which I have attached below) that autograph sellers are asking $50+ for a Wagner autograph. They can get their hands on an unsigned photograph for much less. Wagner reluctantly "provides" her "labor" for free. I don't know what their "overhead" is, but the bottom line is that the percentage of profit for each autograph that is sold would be quite handsome.
If sellers are waiting until after Sochi to sell some of Wagner's autograph, and if she earns a spot on the podium, the value of her autograph will rise.

I hope that your prediction that Wagner is destined to become a multimillionaire living in the lap of luxury comes true. Unless she wins gold (not silver or bronze) in Sochi, I find that prediction overly rosy -- by at least one order of magnitude.
This past summer Wagner had accepted an invitation to perform in The Ice show in Japan -- at least partly because she needed the money. Eventually backed out because other shows (the paychecks of which were much needed as well) had taken up too much of her training time. (Yes, Wagner had tweeted about this situation.)
The best-of-the-best coaches and choreographers on her team presumably do not come cheap (and they are justified in asking for fair compensation for their expertise).

You seem not to have understood my post. We all know that autograph-seeking has many negatives associated with it. In my post, I was also framing autograph seeking in a positive light insofar as it indicates that someone, in this case, Ashley, has achieved a certain level of success and fame to motivate someone to get her autograph, regardless of whether they sell it or keep it. I simply said that I hope that she realizes this (and she probably does after all). I'm not saying that "Wagner should be happy that she is "worthy"(my word) of exploitation by autograph sellers." That is a negative, reductionist paraphrasing of my point. What i'm saying is that autograph seeking, like many things in life, has positive attributes as well as negative ones. It's neither all bad nor all good. It's both.

Eislauf

On the Ice
Yes, I did read that, darling. Thanks anyway, for all the overemphasis meant to assist me in my reading comprehension.

My point is that I don't find her tweet to be problematic in the first place, so I don't see why she should have "behaved more graciously" just as the autograph-seeker should have (which you did say also). I also was not speculating on her mood, etc. Since I don't think anything she did was problematic in the first place, I don't see the need to speculate on whether she was in a bad mood or tired, etc., or whether she should consider other "options" to prevent her from getting "upset." 'Cause, you know, I don't think there's anything wrong with what she said anyway.

So no, we're not in agreement. You think what she did was at least a minor problem, and that she might consider taking steps to prevent it in the future, and oh, perhaps we should excuse her unseemly behaviour since she may have been tired or something. I don't believe there's simply nothing wrong with her comment, period, and don't see the need for excusing it or finding ways to correct it.

You'll see that I keep re-iterating "giving someone the benefit of the doubt", ie yes Ashley could be perceived negatively (and she has been) but we also don't know what's inside her head, ie maybe she was just tired and so on, so why are we (meant in a general sense) judging her and making a big deal out of a silly tweet? I'm trying to present both sides of an issue for the purpose of debate in this forum. What interests me is looking at something from a multiplicity of perspectives because it can generate stimulating discussion, enrich our understanding of a given issue and perhaps elucidate larger ones.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You seem not to have understood my post. We all know that autograph-seeking has many negatives associated with it. In my post, I was also framing autograph seeking in a positive light insofar as it indicates that someone, in this case, Ashley, has achieved a certain level of success and fame to motivate someone to get her autograph, regardless of whether they sell it or keep it. I simply said that I hope that she realizes this (and she probably does after all). I'm not saying that "Wagner should be happy that she is "worthy"(my word) of exploitation by autograph sellers." That is a negative, reductionist paraphrasing of my point. What i'm saying is that autograph seeking, like many things in life, has positive attributes as well as negative ones. It's neither all bad nor all good. It's both.

I understood you perfectly from the beginning.
[ETA, the one exception was that I needed confirmation (which you subsequently provided) that you were proposing the option of a 100%-no-autographs-policy. Thank you for the confirmation in a previous post.]​
Agree that autograph seeking by true fans is something positive.
Continue to strongly disagree that anything positive at all can be said about autograph sellers who want to make money off the cooperation of public figures. And rudeness from the autograph sellers added insult to injury, as did bothering Wagner at midnight for their mercenary purpose.

picky, picky. :p

:laugh:

Guilty as charged. :laugh:
Thought the correct spelling might be helpful to anyone who might want to look up Baden's Instagram and Twitter accounts ... or quotes in articles, etc.

I so agree with everything you wrote golden411!!

Thanks, Sara. :)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
You'll see that I keep re-iterating "giving someone the benefit of the doubt", ie yes Ashley could be perceived negatively (and she has been) but we also don't know what's inside her head, ie maybe she was just tired and so on, so who are we (meant in a general sense) to judge her and make a big deal out of a silly tweet? I'm trying to present both sides of an issue for the purpose of debate in this forum. What interests me is looking at something from a multiplicity of perspectives because it can make for stimulating discussion.

'Kay. So do you see any problem with what Ashley said, or not? If so (and you did say previously she could have been more gracious), why? I get that you're not judging Ashley as a person and you've acknowledged she may have been tired and so on, but do you find what she did to be problematic in any way? Do you think her tweet was ungracious or she shouldn't have said it? If not, I'm not really sure what your point is. You don't seem to be sticking with any particular one. You seem to be continually shape-shifting and claiming people don't understand your posts whenever someone disagrees with something in them. It comes across as weaselly. What's your perspective? Different perspectives have already been presented by different people in this thread, so what's yours?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why can't American skaters be as outspoken as European skaters?

Because when a american skater or anyone speaks out about anything people jump all over them no matter what they say. Europeans don't seem to have to deal with that crap as much.

Sara

On the Ice
I didn't know where to post this exactly, so I'll write it here. Does anybody know why Phil Hersh (American journalist) is being so harsh on Ashley Wagner? I might react this way 'cos I'm from Europe where journalists are very nice to athletes. I read that he for example sent an sms to Ashley after her SP in SA, writing about how good Radionova was, and now he was twittering about how well some of the skaters did in SC compared to Ashley. Who the hell this guy thinks he is. I'm disgusted by this kind of journalists. And I would say this no matter who the skater in question is. To send sms with a negative tone to skaters when they are competing is really rude.

Sara

On the Ice
I hope someone sees my post above and replies. It would be interesting to know what is behind all this twittering by Hersh.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sports journalism in the US is often nasty to athletes. I think Hersh's tone is a transfer from the way team sports are reported here, & even more so how athletes are discussed in sports call in shows and in sports discussion shows.

Sara

On the Ice
Very sad. I'm glad I live in Finland, journalists would never act like that towards athletes here.

treeloving

Medalist
I didn't know where to post this exactly, so I'll write it here. Does anybody know why Phil Hersh (American journalist) is being so harsh on Ashley Wagner? I might react this way 'cos I'm from Europe where journalists are very nice to athletes. I read that he for example sent an sms to Ashley after her SP in SA, writing about how good Radionova was, and now he was twittering about how well some of the skaters did in SC compared to Ashley. Who the hell this guy thinks he is. I'm disgusted by this kind of journalists. And I would say this no matter who the skater in question is. To send sms with a negative tone to skaters when they are competing is really rude.

I agree! He is absolutely disgusting and I hope he aware of how other think of him!

Sinclare

Rinkside
I am happy for anyone who is the underdog and comes back to meet success. That is why I began to root for Ashley in the first place. :slink::slink::slink: But....
I don't like when athletes act as if they are sought after celebrities.
Shouting out to the "picture scalpers" reminding them how important they are and reminding how "valuable" their signature is ..Please :rolleye:...really?
Unnecessary as was and is Ashley's constantly responding to Phil on Twitter. I think grace and humility is missing from the present US lady's field. I don't think that Michelle Kwan would have behaved in that manner. The Japanese skaters are blasted with press and are gracious to fans and "suspicious" fans alike. Yuna was always gracious and a class act too. Say what you will about Rachael Flatt but over her ups and downs of her career she never gave off the "self important" façade or acted like she was doing the skating community a favor and got more criticism than most girls in the sport. She seems to have the most intelligent response to her critics, a successful life dedicated to helping people.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Probably because he knows it gets under her skin and she would respond. Which she did. Though I think it made him coming out looking like a horse's rump more than it made Ashley look bad.

minze

Medalist

He is an opinion writer who in my opinion lacks professionalism.
Examples: during Skate America he call a 14 yr old the Young and the Breastless.
He made fun of Ashley by saying Elena's score is better than Ashley have gotten
He said a competition where D/W are not competing against V/M is not worth watching.

During Skate Canada, after the short program he twitted that after Gracie's SP Ashley Wagner should be worry.
Before that he tweeted that if Ashley competed at Skate Canada her SP would have been on 4th place

I like Ashley a lot, but I thought it was not necessary to respond to Philip and she did

Matilda

Medalist
Phil Hersh can be such a douche--which is why I hate when I sometimes find myself agreeing with him... Sending nasty messages to a skater is bad enough, but sending them mid-competition? Ugh! :no:

I agree with Tonichelle that Hersh is trying to get under Ashley's skin. I don't mind Ashley replying--I happen to like her spunky personality, and would not want her to try to fit in whatever image IMG, USFSA, or skating fans would prefer. Just be your spirited self, Ashley! :)