Ashley Wagner has a good PR team | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner has a good PR team

minze

Medalist
I am pleasantly surprised by how eloquent Ashley is. Since, I think some athletes and celebrities don't say anything before running it by their people, I think Ashley has a good team who are making her relevant. the Answers she gave about gay marriage was Very Good. The way she congratulated Mao and Elena was very classy. The impressive thing about Ashley even if her answer might be rehearsed it sounds like her own words.

Also, Ashley did something really smart TLS Jenny and Dave criticized her performance at nationals very harshly, but she still gave them an interview. After that interview, they still give an honest opinion about her skating, but know they always highlight the good things about her skating

Good Job Ashley

swurvestar

Rinkside
Really? I think I'd have to disagree since I just saw this tweet from her:

Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010
To the people waiting at the airport at 12 4 autographs that they can sell...nobody needs 2 c me at that hour n next time say thanks..#rude

Seattle Six ‏@SeattleSix
@AshWagner2010 Did Grampa Mike make it to Skate America? You should've won #SoMuchBetterThanMao

Vlad (fskating.com) ‏@worldskating
@AshWagner2010 Who knows. Maybe they are waiting to congratulate you and get autographs for themselves, not to sell them...

ETA: I also must add that figure skating is nearly dead here in the US, I find it hard to believe her autograph would be worth much of anything to sell, it's pretty presumptuous of her to think that. I'm sorry but outside of skating fans nobody would really know who she is here, it's not like the Tonya and Nancy days anymore.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Yea, that tweet really irked me. I'm not really sure who she thinks she is, and while it is true that some people do sell celebrity autographs, she's not some big name that would fetch a lot should her autograph end up on eBay. Figure skating is on life support here, the last thing we need is one of our national champions to insult the few fans who bother to seek out a skater for an autograph.

IleK

On the Ice
I don't think she just presumed that people were selling her autographs. She must have saw or heard something about it. She practically made an acuzasion without revealing the name. I think anybody would be bothered by that. When you give an autograph you think that that person really admires and waited so much for it and is very proud and happy to get it. Then you find out that he/she waited for you just to play a role and make some money. It's frustrating. And she is a well known skater, she doesn't the need to be a star, if somebody knows how to make money from selling autographs than he knows would buy it.
But this is her style, she makes statements about what she thinks is wright or wrong.

Matilda

Medalist
In that tweet she is also reacting to the fact that the people she gave an autograph at that hour didn't even bother to thank her. I think that's fair. In my experience she is generally sweet with the fans. As to her capacity to articulate her thoughts: I met her in fall 2011 at the beginning of the season, and we talked about her Black Swan program and her wishes for the season, etc., and she came across as an intelligent and well spoken young woman wth lots of character. I really think her words to the press have little to do with her PR team and everything to do with who she really is. Rock on, Ashley! :)

minze

Medalist
Really? I think I'd have to disagree since I just saw this tweet from her:

Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010
To the people waiting at the airport at 12 4 autographs that they can sell...nobody needs 2 c me at that hour n next time say thanks..#rude

Seattle Six ‏@SeattleSix
@AshWagner2010 Did Grampa Mike make it to Skate America? You should've won #SoMuchBetterThanMao

Vlad (fskating.com) ‏@worldskating
@AshWagner2010 Who knows. Maybe they are waiting to congratulate you and get autographs for themselves, not to sell them...

ETA: I also must add that figure skating is nearly dead here in the US, I find it hard to believe her autograph would be worth much of anything to sell, it's pretty presumptuous of her to think that. I'm sorry but outside of skating fans nobody would really know who she is here, it's not like the Tonya and Nancy days anymore.

The tweet from her yeah maybe I spoke to soon. But the other tweets are from fans she is not responsible for what they write. But anyways, I find Ashley to be eloquent.

Icey

Record Breaker
They are good when they are around, but she still is a loose canon when she is on her own. Sorry, but considering the past, I really am skeptical the kinds of things she said at SA are "her" thoughts.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I have met Ashley twice, and she was VERY nice to me both times. I did ask for and she gave me an autograph the first time but it was after I'd talked to her for quite some time.

I don't think those people wanted autographs to sell but she is right, they should have said thanks. It does show a lack of insight that she tweeted about it, but I'm assuming she tweeted late at night (after the incident) never any of our finest hours.

My dumbest moment of my life was when I met Meryl Davis and forgot to ask for her autograph after she was good enough to speak to me for a good 15 minutes. It didn't occur to me for hours that OH WAIT, should have asked for her autograph.

louisa05

Final Flight
The autograph business is very odd, though. My dad used to take us to MLB games early so we could get autographs (for ourselves) during batting practice. There would be guys there trying to pay kids to take entire boxes of baseballs to get signed. They did not care who signed them. One guy who signed a ball for me one day got sent to the minors the next morning and never made it up again, but the dealers with boxes of balls and piles of pics were having him sign, too. Most baseball players who sign at all will only sign one thing per person because they know that business exists. If someone handed her a pile of glossy photos and didn't want them signed to anyone, it may have seemed like they couldn't all be for that person. And it could be a dealer speculating that if she were to have a cinderella win in Sochi, s/he could make a pile of money. They do that. It is very little loss if it doesn't happen.

Chris_E

On the Ice
The autograph business is very odd, though. My dad used to take us to MLB games early so we could get autographs (for ourselves) during batting practice. There would be guys there trying to pay kids to take entire boxes of baseballs to get signed. They did not care who signed them. One guy who signed a ball for me one day got sent to the minors the next morning and never made it up again, but the dealers with boxes of balls and piles of pics were having him sign, too. Most baseball players who sign at all will only sign one thing per person because they know that business exists. If someone handed her a pile of glossy photos and didn't want them signed to anyone, it may have seemed like they couldn't all be for that person. And it could be a dealer speculating that if she were to have a cinderella win in Sochi, s/he could make a pile of money. They do that. It is very little loss if it doesn't happen.

This is exactly what I thought. I've waited at stage doors for autographs in the past and there are always dealers there getting autographs to sell. It is quite obvious and they are usually a bit aggressive as well. I wouldn't blame her for reacting this way to someone like that.

My dumbest moment of my life was when I met Meryl Davis and forgot to ask for her autograph after she was good enough to speak to me for a good 15 minutes. It didn't occur to me for hours that OH WAIT, should have asked for her autograph.

I'd say "Oh, too bad," but possibly if you had thought to ask, you might have felt shy about bringing up the matter, and so you might have posed the question awkwardly. Then you'd always remember feeling a bit silly when you recalled the encounter. (I speak from experience on this!) This way, you have an unadulterated memory of a happy and exciting moment, and you also know that you made Meryl feel good about having such a receptive fan.

Years ago I met a favorite author (Susan Cooper, who wrote a wonderful fantasy called The Dark Is Rising) at a book signing. In preparation, I had labored over a letter to her, explaining how much her book meant to me. I gave it to her but neglected to put my return address on it. I felt like six kinds of an idiot afterward, but then I reasoned that a return address would have placed an obligation on Ms. Cooper to respond to me, and this way she had a no-strings-attached bit of praise without having to take time to say something in return.

And maybe you'll meet Meryl again! Or maybe a buddy will get an autograph for you. The skating community isn't that large, right?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'd say "Oh, too bad," but possibly if you had thought to ask, you might have felt shy about bringing up the matter, and so you might have posed the question awkwardly. Then you'd always remember feeling a bit silly when you recalled the encounter. (I speak from experience on this!) This way, you have an unadulterated memory of a happy and exciting moment, and you also know that you made Meryl feel good about having such a receptive fan.

Years ago I met a favorite author (Susan Cooper, who wrote a wonderful fantasy called The Dark Is Rising) at a book signing. In preparation, I had labored over a letter to her, explaining how much her book meant to me. I gave it to her but neglected to put my return address on it. I felt like six kinds of an idiot afterward, but then I reasoned that a return address would have placed an obligation on Ms. Cooper to respond to me, and this way she had a no-strings-attached bit of praise without having to take time to say something in return.

And maybe you'll meet Meryl again! Or maybe a buddy will get an autograph for you. The skating community isn't that large, right?

Yes, that is quite true, and of course I was not speaking to her as a way to get an autograph- I was speaking to her because OMG I could speak to her! Maybe some other time, as you say :) I will probably be going to Nationals in Boston this year so maybe serendipity will strike!

Rami

Rinkside
I have met Ashley twice, and she was VERY nice to me both times. I did ask for and she gave me an autograph the first time but it was after I'd talked to her for quite some time.

I don't think those people wanted autographs to sell but she is right, they should have said thanks. It does show a lack of insight that she tweeted about it, but I'm assuming she tweeted late at night (after the incident) never any of our finest hours.

It doesn't matter how late it was. Ashley is an adult and should know how to tweet. If she felt angry or annoyed she shouldn't have tweet at all. IMO tweets like that are an absolute no, no.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
well it definitely worked to her attention seeking
I'm sure she'll be happy to get more money and endorsements because of it
so good for Wagner, the more money the more she can stay longer in skating and fund her career and personal needs.

so they are good I guess

brightphoton

Medalist
Enough with the pearl-clutching over Ashley's autograph tweets. If they were really fans, they would've thanked Ashley and also tried to talk about something other than SIGN SIGN SIGN!!!

Anyone who has been to a baseball game can smell the Ebay autograph sellers from a mile away. I'm sure the same thing is for figure skating autograph sellers. Slimey, bottom feeding, mouth breathers.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Enough with the pearl-clutching over Ashley's autograph tweets. If they were really fans, they would've thanked Ashley and also tried to talk about something other than SIGN SIGN SIGN!!!

Anyone who has been to a baseball game can smell the Ebay autograph sellers from a mile away. I'm sure the same thing is for figure skating autograph sellers. Slimey, bottom feeding, mouth breathers.

well its all about endorsements and money
its Olympics season after all

brightphoton

Medalist
But it's not like the autograph sellers give Ashley a 10% commission off of their sales.

Are you worried that Ashley might lose her Pandora endorsements or get fewer future endorsements because of her tweet? I'm also pretty sure 99% of the population would definitely like to see autograph sellers disappear off the face of the earth so no worries about outcries of sympathy for that segment of the population.

tulosai

Record Breaker
But it's not like the autograph sellers give Ashley a 10% commission off of their sales.

Are you worried that Ashley might lose her Pandora endorsements or get fewer future endorsements because of her tweet? I'm also pretty sure 99% of the population would definitely like to see autograph sellers disappear off the face of the earth so no worries about outcries of sympathy for that segment of the population.

I think the issue is, based on her tweet alone, it is unclear if they were sellers or just fans as tired as she was who were too tired to try to make much conversation and forgot to say thank you. More info about A LOT of things would be useful, which is why tweets can be so dangerous.

Rami

Rinkside

It doesn't really matter whether they were fans or not. When you are a public figure, you just have to suck it up sometimes. Tweeting accusations or complaints is not a good idea for anyone, especially not for celebrities. This doesn't mean you have to be phony, there are still ways to communicate in an interesting way.

Sara

On the Ice
Is it really necessary to have a whole thread on a matter like this? Well, at least it gives a great opportunity for those hating Ashley to write bad things about her. I have been to States many times enough to have met a few really strange people (majority of Americans are very nice!!) who abuse others for their own benefit, and therefore I do not doubt a minute that somebody would have gone to Ashley asking autographs with the intention of keeping them and later on if she medals in Olympics, to sell them. She is one of the smartest skaters out there. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't take a risk of twittering something like that unless she was 100% sure the person is trying to take advantage of her.