Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner has a good PR team

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Enough with the pearl-clutching over Ashley's autograph tweets. If they were really fans, they would've thanked Ashley and also tried to talk about something other than SIGN SIGN SIGN!!!

Anyone who has been to a baseball game can smell the Ebay autograph sellers from a mile away. I'm sure the same thing is for figure skating autograph sellers. Slimey, bottom feeding, mouth breathers.
    well its all about endorsements and money
    its Olympics season after all

Custom Title
    But it's not like the autograph sellers give Ashley a 10% commission off of their sales.

Are you worried that Ashley might lose her Pandora endorsements or get fewer future endorsements because of her tweet? I'm also pretty sure 99% of the population would definitely like to see autograph sellers disappear off the face of the earth so no worries about outcries of sympathy for that segment of the population.

But it's not like the autograph sellers give Ashley a 10% commission off of their sales.

Are you worried that Ashley might lose her Pandora endorsements or get fewer future endorsements because of her tweet? I'm also pretty sure 99% of the population would definitely like to see autograph sellers disappear off the face of the earth so no worries about outcries of sympathy for that segment of the population.
    I think the issue is, based on her tweet alone, it is unclear if they were sellers or just fans as tired as she was who were too tired to try to make much conversation and forgot to say thank you. More info about A LOT of things would be useful, which is why tweets can be so dangerous.

On the Ice
    Enough with the pearl-clutching over Ashley's autograph tweets. If they were really fans, they would've thanked Ashley and also tried to talk about something other than SIGN SIGN SIGN!!!
    It doesn't really matter whether they were fans or not. When you are a public figure, you just have to suck it up sometimes. Tweeting accusations or complaints is not a good idea for anyone, especially not for celebrities. This doesn't mean you have to be phony, there are still ways to communicate in an interesting way.

Custom Title
    Is it really necessary to have a whole thread on a matter like this? Well, at least it gives a great opportunity for those hating Ashley to write bad things about her. I have been to States many times enough to have met a few really strange people (majority of Americans are very nice!!) who abuse others for their own benefit, and therefore I do not doubt a minute that somebody would have gone to Ashley asking autographs with the intention of keeping them and later on if she medals in Olympics, to sell them. She is one of the smartest skaters out there. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't take a risk of twittering something like that unless she was 100% sure the person is trying to take advantage of her.

Custom Title
    Seems like someone is getting a bit of a attitude with all the praise that she is getting. Maybe Ashley needs Gracie to beat her to make her a bit more humble.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    It doesn't really matter whether they were fans or not. When you are a public figure, you just have to suck it up sometimes. Tweeting accusations or complaints is not a good idea for anyone, especially not for celebrities. This doesn't mean you have to be phony, there are still ways to communicate in an interesting way.
    Agree 100%.
    A) I hope that she feels grateful that people want her autograph in the first place, regardless of what they do with them. Even if they sell them it indicates that she has fame, success and popularity, all good things for her career. I bet someone like Caroline Zhang might be thrilled to have someone ask for her autograph, as would thousands of young skaters dreaming of accomplishing what Ashley has. If Ash is so upset about people making $ from her autographs, then she shouldn't give them. As you said, when you're in the public eye you have to take the good with the bad. If you can't stand the heat....

B) Maybe she was just tired and didn't think clearly about what she was tweeting. Maybe the autograph-seekers were tired/embarrassed/tongue-tied and that's why they didn't say anything.

I don't think Ashley has a PR team. I think it's just her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree! What does it say about the times when somebody doing a good deed or exhibiting a good attitude is seen as simply being opportunistic or pandering to a crowd? I was appalled (though not surprised) when Obama helped that pregnant woman from fainting, and people suggested he staged it.

If Ashley supports the gays she's opportunistic, if she says nothing, she's Davis/White and receives criticism, if she says something counter-productive like Abbott she faces even more criticism. There's no pleasing people, eh.

Anyone who has been to a baseball game can smell the Ebay autograph sellers from a mile away. I'm sure the same thing is for figure skating autograph sellers. Slimey, bottom feeding, mouth breathers.
    exactly, you don't go with handsful of things to sign if you're just a fan... it's an olympic season and she's being touted as one of America's hopes for a medal. She's maybe not Angelina Jolie, but the autograph is free, anything they get is pure profit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Seems like someone is getting a bit of a attitude with all the praise that she is getting. Maybe Ashley needs Gracie to beat her to make her a bit more humble.
    Or better yet, some unknown Canadian or supposedly overweigth American has been.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Almost all of the top skaters also have agents and associated publicists
    That said, most of the agents and publicists have little say over how each athlete handles themselves on social media (and nor should they IMO)

Medalist
    I suspect Mr. Nicks may have tried to teach gracious, good sportsmanship to Ashley. After Gracie had skated her triumphant long program during Nationals this year, and before Ashley was due to skate hers, NBC TV caught Mr. Nicks saying to Ashley: "Grace just had a good skate so why don't you go over and congratulate her".

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Almost all of the top skaters also have agents and associated publicists
    That said, most of the agents and publicists have little say over how each athlete handles themselves on social media (and nor should they IMO)
    David Bagden represents her at IMG. I only follow him on Instagram, but he seems to be just as taken with himself and his opinions. I enjoy watching him get upset in response to some of my posts on Instagram.

Custom Title
    People seem to forget about the Ashley Wagner before she won that national. She was not considered the most PR-savvy person, in fact, quite the opposite. That's why black swan really made her name. I believe she's got a lot of characters, which is possibly a good thing. Both Gracie and her. I absolutely fear for the girls who look too nice (Christina Gao, for one). There is a good chance they are gonna lose out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast