Oscars | Golden Skate

Oscars

guinevere

Final Flight
I am so psyched for the Oscars this year!!!!

I am pleased with all of the films nominated for Best Film, and all of the actors in the Best Actor category. Bill Murray and Johnny Depp, nominated in the same year?! Ka-razy! Actually, the only major nominations I really disagree with at all are Diane Keaton (because the movie is so idiotic) and Renee Zellweger (because Cold Mountain is not Oscar worthy -- but of course I support giving Jude Law an award just for breathing, so he's ok in my book :p ).

Super Duper Congratulations to:

Lost in Translation - Best Pic, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Orig Screenplay, it's the indie that made folks pay attention!

Keisha Castle-Hughes - youngest Best Actress nominee ever, for a New Zealand-made Maori coming of age story? Wow. And well-deserved!

Shohreh Aghdashloo for an amazing performance in House of Sand & Fog that got noticed!

Lord of the Rings let this be the year........

Charlize Theron for pursuing and putting forth an amazing typecast-busting performance that will likely land her the Oscar - for another tiny film.

the Academy voters for looking seriously at atypical films and performances and not just handing Cold Mountain and other big budget films a bunch of nominations based on its pedigree

Whee!!

guinevere

edited for spelling correction

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good for Johnny Depp, but I'm totally bummed that Sean Astin didn't get a nod for LOTR........thanks for the link, Antilles......42

Antilles

Medalist
Anytime. Guinevere, I din't like Cold Mountain either, but I thought Zellweger did a fantastic job with her role.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I was pleased with everything but the omission of "Cold Mountain". I've seen "Master and Commander" and felt these two films were on a level playing field. They were visually appealing and well acted, but flawed in certain aspects. Certainly "Cold Mountain" isn't a perfect film, but overall I found it to be touching and beautifully filmed. I'm so pleased that Jude Law received a nod for this role. I think the real shocker is that Albert Finney wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor for "Big Fish". He was brilliant in that role!
I do have to second Guinevere's "Super Duper" congrats to Keisha Castle-Hughes! She was so young to take on such a complex and demanding role. And she pulled it off so well! I also am ecstatic for Charlize Theron. I was intrigued by her early on, but was somewhat disappointed with her choices after "The Cider House Rules". I wish her the best of luck and the Oscar! Also, congrats to Morton and Watts....two of the most talented and versatile actresses as of late.

I'll also be keeping my fingers crossed for Jackson and "The Lord of the Rings"!

Arwen

Rinkside
I'm in love with Johnny Depp; always have been! :love: :love: But I hope Lord of the Rings wins! Awesome movie!

Love the "Give an Award to Jude Law Just for Breathing" Guinevere:laugh: Add me to that list. I can't tell you how many times I've watched "The Talented Mr. Ripley"--until Law's character gets killed. But I was also impressed with his evil photographer in "Road to Perdition." Although the Jude Law I'd like to have come to my house is his mecha lover character in "A.I.":love:

And I was another person perplexed by the "Johnny Depp comeback." When did he leave?:confused: The guy has been making at least one movie a year since "Crybaby" and though they weren't blockbusters, most of them had a lot of buzz--"Edward Scissorhands," "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" "Donnie Brasco," "Ed Wood (my favorite Depp role)," "Don Juan DeMarco," "Chocolate," "Blow," "Sleepy Hollow"--and that's only off the top of my head. Most actors would kill to have done half those films. I know, this is Depp's first blockbuster, but comeback? I'd just call it a great actor's first blockbuster.

Bronze, I know what you mean about Charlize Theron after "Cider House Rules." It seemed like she was saying "yes" to every script. I haven't seen "Monster" but I saw her on "Inside the Actor's Studio" Sunday (did they have good timing or what?), in which they had a pretty long scene from "Monster." I was impressed by both Theron and the scene they showed from "Monster." The make-up and physical transformation is amazing, but it's still Theron who has to make it work. Just think, if she wins the Oscar for "Monster," ever beautiful actress who wants to be taken seriously will want "Monster" in the title.

And it looks like Tom and Nicole's battle of the Oscar campaigns cancelled each other out. I think "Cold Mountain" got five nominations and "Last Samurai" got four, but don't quote me. I just can't find where I read the totals for the top movies. And no nod for either Tom or Nicole, but a Best Supporting Actor for Ken Watanabe, whom I saw and noticed almost 20 years ago in "Tampopo." (Haven't seen "Last Samauri.")

I say "LOTR" because it should be this year. This was the best installment and getting best picture, best director this year is like giving the entire series best picture. Would have liked to have seen Wods and or Astin get a nod, but it truly was ensemble acting, with the emphasis of the story shifting so that in "The Return of the King," Woods was more of a supporting actor, supported by Astin, while Viggo Mortensen was more of a lead. But "LOTR" is the biggest thing to happen to movies since "Gone With the Wind" and for all these journeymen actors, except Ian McKellan and Ian Holm, to be shot into stardom with "LOTR," I think they're mighty happy--and mighty rich if their contracts had a percentage of the proffits. Talk about WHEEEEEE!
Rgirl

Michibanana

Rinkside
But I was also impressed with his evil photographer in "Road to Perdition."

ITA, RGirl...his performance MADE that movie for me.

I'm sooo happy with the Oscar noms this year, and I'm especially happy that the academy actually nominated mostly deserving films this year instead of giving into the hype. My only huge disappointment is that Sean Astin didn't get nominated in the supporting actor category. I thought he gave the performance of the film. I think the oustanding acting by the whole ensemble in that movie really worked against them as far as acting awards were concerned. It's hard to single one actor out. But I would have singled Sean out.