Thread: Who will win Skate Canada ladies?

Hybrid View

Who will win Skate Canada ladies?

The competition is getting close. Who do you think (not would you like to) will win?

1 Amelie LACOSTE
    2 Veronik MALLET
    3 Kaetlyn OSMOND
    4 Akiko SUZUKI
    5 Julia LIPNITSKAIA
    6 Natalia POPOVA
    7 Christina GAO
    8 Gracie GOLD
    9 Courtney HICKS

Custom Title
    Well the line up got a heck of a lot weaker. i think Suzuki or Gold will win Gold but look out for Hicks to nab a medal too. Lipnitskaia might play the spoiler. Osmond won't be much of anissue with her injuries. Gao will feel the pressure knowing she is on the bubble to make he American team.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well the line up got a heck of a lot weaker. i think Suzuki or Gold will win Gold but look out for Hicks to nab a medal too. Lipnitskaia might play the spoiler. Osmond won't be much of anissue with her injuries. Gao will feel the pressure knowing she is on the bubble to make he American team.
    Just if /when Gracie will come to the same kind of confidence as Ashley has now, she can do a lot. Akiko, depends on how ready she is at the early stage of the season. So far Julia looks the most stable and improved in my eyes. And I have a feeling that Hicks will do well.

Custom Title
    Julia! I can't see anyone else winning, except if any of the other girls makes a huge improvement since their last skate. We have already seen Amelie, Veronik, Kaetlyn, in fact all of the other girls. And the only one close to being clean as Julia was Courtney. I would love Akiko to win but she would have to skate clean and that is something I can't remember seeing at her.

Custom Title
    I'm very interested to see what kind of PCS Courtney will get if she goes clean. I actually hope she wins just to prove how idiotic the USFSA was in making the Skate America invitation. However, my expected podium is:

1) Akiko
    2) Julia
    3) Gracie

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    So far, Julia looks the most ready to go. She has better programs and is relating to the music more (hallelujah) plus it looks like her consistency is back. With her difficult content and high level elements if she goes clean she'll win here.

Akiko has two lovely programs and a little bit of reputation to throw around being the only Japanese lady at this event. Her goal is going to be getting through her SP cleanly. She can score very high with a clean performance and should be able to stay close in the race for gold. I'm not sure if she'll win here but, barring a meltdown of sorts, she should be on the podium.

Courtney has been really steady so far this season but, as Gracie could tell her, it's a different environment than skating in junior or Senior B events. She did get a taste of the atmosphere when she went to nationals so hopefully that experience will work in her favor and she'll have a strong performance here. She won't come close to Akiko or Julia in PCS but she can definitely compete in TES if she's clean...

Gracie is a toss up b/c we don't know where she is right now. The hope is that she's made some improvements to her programs and her mental focus since switching to Frank a few weeks ago but there's no guarantee we'll see marked improvement this early. If she hits her jumps she'll be on the podium even if the rest of her skating is an eyesore...but she has to hit her jumps. Gracie really needs a strong skate here to erase some of the doubt she created with her sub par performances this summer.

Strong performances from Kaetlyn will score well but knowing that she's injured and seeing her programs earlier in the summer, I'm not sure what to expect from her.

Same thing for Christina. She's been off so far this summer but hopefully she's made the improvements and adjustments and will perform well here. She's a very long shot for a medal but a good performance should help her chances toward that third spot.