Ice ballet “Reveries” in NYC-I can't believe I won't get to see this! | Golden Skate

Ice ballet “Reveries” in NYC-I can't believe I won't get to see this!

Oh, man, we have to patrol YouTube.

Villella is an interesting guy. He and Jacques D'Amboise were the go-to male Balanchine dancers (at the New York City Ballet) for years. Both were American-born, which was unusual for male dancers in those days, and both did a bit of crossover work to other media. D'Amboise was in the splendid musical movie Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and at one point Villella portrayed Harry Beaton (mainly a dance role) in a revival of Brigadoon. This is the role that John Curry played in a later stage revival.

We have to keep our fingers crossed that somehow this gets recorded for posterity!

HazyD

Rinkside
"Villella is an interesting guy."

Agreed! A beautiful dancer (you can find bits of him dancing on youtube) and the Miami Ballet really took off under his direction. Got to see a (very Balanchine) Nutcracker in Miami one year. An old chestnut (pun intended!) but it was lovely.

Kim and Brent are two of my all-time faves, too -- they are so expressive. To read what she has to say about the process just makes the whole thing that much more tantalizing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Olympia, are you sure you ca't get to Chelsea Piers Rink to see it, and then tell us about it? :bow:

And with Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre!

And Uncle Dickie with a hand still in the pudding :) Good to see him still interested in and involved in making a skating show happen.

I edited the first post to add the times of the show, hoping someone from GS will go.

Last edited:
Oh, good, we will have a reporter. I'm sorry it can't be me, but just not possible right now. Years ago I saw two of John Curry's ice programs, and it was such a treat. To know there was someone who believed so ardently in the possibilities of skating was inspiring. I keep hoping that with the expansion of online media, it will be more feasible to create innovative skating programs for a larger audience. So far that hasn't happened, but I believe that it's financially and logistically possible.

(And I'm still hoping that someone creates the ideal skating movie someday. If it's me, Andrew Poje shall be my leading man.)

ang709

Rinkside
If anyone has any particular details they'd like me to report on, please let me know.

Thanks, Ang. I'd love to know how the choreography strikes you, and whether it seems to enhance the beauty of their skating or whether it's just a kind of intellectual exercise like that program Twyla Tharp designed for John Curry years ago. Either way, I'm glad to see dance and ice skating coming together like this any time it's done.