Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir officially retires + officially joins NBC as skating analyst

Weir announced this morning that he officially has retired from competitive skating. (He was composed when he made this announcement, but obviously -- and understandably -- felt emotional as he said it aloud to the world.)
And ... he will be a figure skating analyst for NBC for the entire season -- including the Olympic Games.

He made these announcements this morning in a brief live interview on the Today show on NBC.

The final topic of the mini-interview: The NBC anchors noted that Weir is a gay American, and asked him about the Russian laws against gays.
I'm paraphrasing Weir's reply: He affirmed that he will be on the ground in Sochi for NBC, noted that he married into a Russian family, and said that he wants to support those in Russia, and "to not be afraid."

(Can't help adding that Weir looked very classy in a double-breasted dark blazer with a colorful scarf knotted around his neck. ETA: No live skating from Weir this morning on NBC. The Today show aired a little b-roll of Weir performing on the ice.)

For those in other time zones who want to see the Today interview, it took place right after the 8:30 half hour started.

Celine

On the Ice
OK now THIS will up both the FASHION quota and heighten the probability of some CONTROVERSY in the coverage stemming from the Russian Anti-gay law.
Go Johnny!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I'd rather listen to Johnny than to Scott. But is NBC setting up the NBC Skating Reality show where Johnny is supposed to get arrested by Russians?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Corresponding tweets from @TODAYshow:

Congrats to @JohnnyGWeir on his new gig as a figure skating analyst for the #Sochi #Olympics!
5:35 AM - 23 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/392992601286004736

"If I get arrested, I get arrested." -@JohnnyGWeir on concerns about going to #Sochi
5:35 AM - 23 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/392992747981770753
(Sorry that this quote was not in the OP.)​

ETA, NBC press release this morning:

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski & Tanith Belbin to join NBC Olympics in Sochi
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-tanith-belbin-to-join-nbc-olympics-in-sochi/ (Oct 23)

Subtitles:
- Weir & Lipinski to Serve as Analysts for NBC Olympics’ Multi-Platform Figure Skating Coverage
- Belbin to Report for NBC Olympics’ Sports Desk & The Olympic Zone
- Weir & Lipinski Will Also Serve as Figure Skating Analysts This Sunday at 4 pm ET on NBC’s Skate Canada Coverage​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm imiagining all the stories. This will be interesting but I have a feeling there will be other analysts as color analysts now has a totall new meaning. Will Johnny be the "standard" professional analyst or more like Dave Lease (note I am not not talking about gay flamboyancy but rather cattiness?). I think the Russian police will be careful about how it handles Johnny do they want all the press coverage and international glare with arresting a member of the American media? Will johnny conform to a uniform if NBC has them,will he add glitter, feathers and fur? Let the games begin - fashion and otherwise:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmm imiagining all the stories. This will be interesting but I have a feeling there will be other analysts as color analysts now has a totall new meaning. Will Johnny be the "standard" professional analyst or more like Dave Lease (note I am not not talking about gay flamboyancy but rather cattiness?). I think the Russian police will be careful about how it handles Johnny do they want all the press coverage and international glare with arresting a member of the American media? Will johnny conform to a uniform if NBC has them,will he add glitter, feathers and fur? Let the games begin - fashion and otherwise:)

The NBC press release (link posted above) makes no mention of Hamilton and Bezic ... and the absence has me wondering whether Weir and Lipinski are replacing the veterans.

In corporate speak, a press release of this kind typically would say something like, "Our veteran analysts A and B will be joined by newcomers C and D."
Only my speculation, but because NBC did not word the press release that way, my hunch is that the era of Hamilton and Bezic is over.
Will be interesting to see whether they appear on NBC's Skate Canada broadcast on Sunday -- along with Weir and Lipinski, who definitely will be on air, according to the release.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope Johnny keeps things professional and is not overly snarky. He has quite a bit of valuable skating knowledge to share and I'd hate for that to be overshadowed by useless comments on costumes.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Will johnny conform to a uniform if NBC has them,will he add glitter, feathers and fur? Let the games begin - fashion and otherwise:)

Forgot to add in my previous post:

Again, Weir looked very tasteful this morning. Conservative wardrobe and hair sans makeup. Nothing sparkly, no feathers, etc. He was not in his extreme fashionista mode at all.

Weir is no dummy, and I think he is well aware that the NBC gig is a terrific opportunity for him. On Today this morning, he spoke (again I'm paraphrasing) about wanting to be supportive of skaters and skating, and wanting to be an informative ambassador for the sport. I don't think that he will put the focus on "me, me, me."

tulosai

Record Breaker
Forgot to add in my previous post:

Again, Weir looked very tasteful this morning. Conservative wardrobe and hair sans makeup. Nothing sparkly, no feathers, etc. He was not in his extreme fashionista mode at all.

Weir is no dummy, and I think he is well aware that the NBC gig is a terrific opportunity for him. On Today this morning, he spoke (again I'm paraphrasing) about wanting to be supportive of skaters and skating, and wanting to be an informative ambassador for the sport. I don't think that he will put the focus on "me, me, me."

This. I don't doubt he'll comport himself as appropriately as possible when the time comes.

I join Doris and others in thinking this will be a huge improvement over Scott. I used to somewhat enjoy Scott's commentary pre-COP but at this point, as we've all discussed on other threads ad nauseum, he is IMO actively hurting the sport's attempts to gain viewership. I think he is also reinforcing in a subtle way the idea some people have that it's not really a sport. Even without any 'deep' understanding of COP, you can say something like 'this is a lutz, for most people the hardest triple jump. It's got a base value of X more than the triple flip, which is the hardest jump her competitor, Y will be completing'. 'I'm not sure of the level of that spin, but it may have been a level 3. To get a level 3 spin,the criteria are X' instead of just saying during the slo mo replay 'great spin positions!'

Also, I don't think COP is as beyond the reach of many Americans as Scott seems to think it is. I'm no Mathman or Mrs. P but I was able to come to a rudimentary understanding of COP quite quickly and really believe most other people could too (whether they agreed with it or not). I'm hopeful Johnny can open that door for them.

ciocio

On the Ice
Well, I'd rather listen to Johnny than to Scott. But is NBC setting up the NBC Skating Reality show where Johnny is supposed to get arrested by Russians?

Yes, and probably, his friend Plushenko will rescue him and people will see that Russians aren't so bad after all. :laugh:

Jeez, I hope Johnny is not seriously planning that.:slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This. I don't doubt he'll comport himself as appropriately as possible when the time comes.

I join Doris and others in thinking this will be a huge improvement over Scott. I used to somewhat enjoy Scott's commentary pre-COP but at this point, as we've all discussed on other threads ad nauseum, he is IMO actively hurting the sport's attempts to gain viewership. I think he is also reinforcing in a subtle way the idea some people have that it's not really a sport. Even without any 'deep' understanding of COP, you can say something like 'this is a lutz, for most people the hardest triple jump. It's got a base value of X more than the triple flip, which is the hardest jump her competitor, Y will be completing'. 'I'm not sure of the level of that spin, but it may have been a level 3. To get a level 3 spin,the criteria are X' instead of just saying during the slo mo replay 'great spin positions!'

Also, I don't think COP is as beyond the reach of many Americans as Scott seems to think it is. I'm no Mathman or Mrs. P but I was able to come to a rudimentary understanding of COP quite quickly and really believe most other people could too (whether they agreed with it or not). I'm hopeful Johnny can open that door for them.

Thank you for the kind words, tulosai! I am just one of you trying to understand the system and picking out hte numbers seem to help!

Anyway here's the video of Johnny's segment:http://www.today.com/news/johnny-weir-retires-joins-nbc-olympics-figure-skating-analyst-8C11446723

I agree with golden411, he was very tasteful and very graceful in his announcement, both regarding his retirement and regarding his decision to join the NBC Sports crew.

Johnny did do some commentary for Ice Network at 2012 U.S. Nationals. Here's a video of Jason Brown's SP that has Johnny's commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4

Johnny adds some color...but also explains aspects of the system (i.e. the value of seamless entries into jumps and spins etc...the high value of a 3A and why Jason needs to have one, etc...)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Johnny! He got his wish!

Weir does have extreme talent in commentating. I have to say that he was biased in commentary for sure but no more biased than Hamilton. And he does add a lot more glitter and color in talking. So, men's figure skating IS a gay sport. That concept has firmly been grounded and now emphasized in US. Well, no complains from me if that's what Americans want.:biggrin:

My prediction: Weir will voice his support to Russian gay people but will show everyone that nothing is to be afraid of in Russia. It might be a huge disappointment to gay communities that he will not challenge the Russian law/laws. As of the Russians, they will want to avoid making a scene of this kind as much as possible.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, I'm looking forward to a Johnny, Tanith, Tara broadcasting team!

Looking back on Johnny's career, he really should have been a 4-time US champion. That "tie" with Evan shouldn't have been close. Oh, well, the longer I've followed skating the more I've found some of my biggest favorites never got nearly the accolades I hoped they'd get.

I hope Johnny's commentating is a draw for NBC. His knowledge of Russian language and culture should be useful for any local color pieces about Sochi and Russia. As other posters have stated, his presence may highlight the homosexuality controversy but as Johnny said a boycott would only hurt the athletes. Tanith and Tara are quite good, too. I hope all three do large (preferably ALL) portions of the commentary from here on out.

GREAT NEWS! Hurray!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I hope he does a good job commentating. I remember one season Tara and Johnny comment on Universal Sports and I thought they did a decent job.
Should add more insights and pay more attention to the technical aspect of the sport. Point out what's good and what's bad, and if bad, how bad compare to the rest of the field.

For example, don't rag on Mao's flutz at Skate America when her next competitor has a worse flutz. Point out both.