Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What does honey badger mean??

Basically that you don't give a crap or don't care about what others think of you.

I guess you can argue Jason is one because he pretty much is in his own world and focuses on what he needs to do and doesn't dwell to much on what people say about him or his coach.

For example, you would never see Jason tweet about haters, which Gracie Gold did after SLC. He doesn't care or rather he chooses to focus on what makes him happy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This. But Johnny said it about Keegan Messing, not Jason.

Oh I though it was Max Aaron. Wow lots of honey badgers!!

Though Johnny didn't explicitly call Jason a Honey Badger, I think Johnny was making the argument he was one. "He just doesn't care!"

Matilda

Medalist
Oh I though it was Max Aaron. Wow lots of honey badgers!!

Though Johnny didn't explicitly call Jason a Honey Badger, I think Johnny was making the argument he was one. "He just doesn't care!"

Lol! Max definitely has some honeybadger in him--but Johnny's all about Max's eyebrows :laugh:

I believe the "he just doesn't care" was about Jason not getting tense under pressure (although he did in the LP in SA). According to Johnny Jason's world is "always bright and shiny". I must agree with that: Jason is Mr. Sunshine :love:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we can expect quite a lot of humor from Johnny as a commentator/skating analyst. :biggrin:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Just watched SC, and Johnny Weir did a very good job as a commentator, calm, insightful, intelligent, respectful and impartial. I really enjoyed it. I wish he keeps doing it like this and he should be a really good one in commentating force.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just watched SC, and Johnny Weir did a very good job as a commentator, calm, insightful, intelligent, respectful and impartial. I really enjoyed it. I wish he keeps doing it like this and he should be a really good one in commentating force.

I could not have said it better - Johnny did a great job! Glad NBC recognizes his talent.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To bad NBC won't use the team that called SC at the Olympics. Instead we will get the old farts Scott, Sandra and Tom Hammonds. :mad:

Seriously. Is there a place we can write to tell NBC how much we like the team of Gannon, Lipinski and Weir?

emma

Record Breaker
I finally got to watch some skating after what seemed like an eternity...to bad it was only the two hours on NBC, but still, I'm feeling (almost) back to skating fandom :) But, just chiming in here, I was so thrilled to hear Weir and Gannon ... I think Terry might have talked a bit too much; I almost imagined Johnny trying to 'shush' him...but, it was great and just like everyone already said. And informative. I loved Weir's discussion of Chan's knee work and its similarity to Oda and the way it isn't just beautiful but great technique for generating powerful skating. It seemed like with another minute, he would also be able to explain the complexity of choreo and foot placement (alas, this will await another day). But call me excited. And Tara was great too!

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
During NBC's recent coverage of gymnastics worlds, Schlegel's replacement was Olympic champion Nastia Liukin -- who previously had had a lesser on-air role, AFAIK.

So I think it is reasonable to wonder whether that decision by NBC is any kind of business model that the network will repeat ...

It took them 20 years to make a change concerning Elfi, though. NBC hasn't had majority of the figure skating season for that many years. Plus, Scott is a well known champion skater, while Elfi was not a big name to the U.S. audience. And they left Al Trautwig in place. So I don't know...

I did enjoy Johnny, though. Love Terry Gannon as usual. And I like Tara.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
One thing that I like Weir's this commentating is that he did not try to play a judge and announce the placement according to his own judgement before the actual results came out like most of the American skating commentators have done before. I think this is really important. Without this respect to the skating judges' decisions, the commentators could use their own power create unnecessary conflicts between the judges and the viewers. For this I give a big thumb up for Johnny!:thumbsup: Hope he could keep it this way in the future commentating.

lcd

Match Penalty
Nice jobs by both Johnny and Tara. Thoughtful and calm. Terry Gannon is the BOMB!

It took them 20 years to make a change concerning Elfi, though. NBC hasn't had majority of the figure skating season for that many years. Plus, Scott is a well known champion skater, while Elfi was not a big name to the U.S. audience. And they left Al Trautwig in place. So I don't know...

I did enjoy Johnny, though. Love Terry Gannon as usual. And I like Tara.

When the summer Olympics comes around, they'd better keep their hands off diving commentator Cynthia Potter. She's splendid and helps me understand what to look for in dives. I wish they could train her to commentate for skating!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Nice jobs by both Johnny and Tara. Thoughtful and calm. Terry Gannon is the BOMB!

I think Johnny's voice was very much controlled and kind of like trying to pass the first biggest test from the viewers. Gannon was trying to make him talk more. Yeah, one voice was strong and loud while the other was calm and soft, a bit too much contrast.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Great news. I think Johnny and Tara and Tanith are smart, insightful and interesting. I love it!!!!! Good move by NBC!!!

AlexaD

Rinkside
I really like Terry Gannon too - did anyone else watching think of Terry commentating when Tara was on the ice at 14 and 15-years old and now there she is sitting with him? Same can be said for Johnny.

It made me realize that I've been watching for quite a while!

I thought Johnny did a nice job for his first time.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think Johnny's voice was very much controlled and kind of like trying to pass the first biggest test from the viewers. Gannon was trying to make him talk more. Yeah, one voice was strong and loud while the other was calm and soft, a bit too much contrast.

I noticed his voice was controlled, too (I thought it was a bit too much in a way). I also noticed Nastia trying something different with her voice at times for gymnastics commentary. Just newbies trying to find the right voice for commentary, I guess. I would probably do something similar if I were in their shoes, but that's mostly because I don't really like the way my voice sounds when I watch/listen to a recording of myself. And when people do speaking jobs, they want to sound professional and polished (even though commentary is not exactly like giving a speech). I understand it, but it is easy to notice the difference since they were already public figures we've been watching for years.

When the summer Olympics comes around, they'd better keep their hands off diving commentator Cynthia Potter. She's splendid and helps me understand what to look for in dives. I wish they could train her to commentate for skating!

I enjoy her as well. I also haven't really heard any criticism of her like people criticize the figure skating, gymnastics, and even swimming commentators, so I think she will be safe. And it's not like there are a lot of current diving champions in the U.S. to take her place. Plus diving isn't shown often on NBC like figure skating and gymnastics is, so I don't think there is as much a need to change things.