And why Jason is a honey badger, AFAIR
    Yeah that too.

Also:

"I know I'm excited to see that ponytail do some damage!"

Banned
    not surprised

soon to follow is Lysacek ....

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Johnny! He got his wish!

Weir does have extreme talent in commentating. I have to say that he was biased in commentary for sure but no more biased than Hamilton. And he does add a lot more glitter and color in talking. So, men's figure skating IS a gay sport. That concept has firmly been grounded and now emphasized in US. Well, no complains from me if that's what Americans want.

My prediction: Weir will voice his support to Russian gay people but will show everyone that nothing is to be afraid of in Russia. It might be a huge disappointment to gay communities that he will not challenge the Russian law/laws. As of the Russians, they will want to avoid making a scene of this kind as much as possible.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Oh, I'm looking forward to a Johnny, Tanith, Tara broadcasting team!

Looking back on Johnny's career, he really should have been a 4-time US champion. That "tie" with Evan shouldn't have been close. Oh, well, the longer I've followed skating the more I've found some of my biggest favorites never got nearly the accolades I hoped they'd get.

I hope Johnny's commentating is a draw for NBC. His knowledge of Russian language and culture should be useful for any local color pieces about Sochi and Russia. As other posters have stated, his presence may highlight the homosexuality controversy but as Johnny said a boycott would only hurt the athletes. Tanith and Tara are quite good, too. I hope all three do large (preferably ALL) portions of the commentary from here on out.

GREAT NEWS! Hurray!

Custom Title
    I hope he does a good job commentating. I remember one season Tara and Johnny comment on Universal Sports and I thought they did a decent job.
    Should add more insights and pay more attention to the technical aspect of the sport. Point out what's good and what's bad, and if bad, how bad compare to the rest of the field.

For example, don't rag on Mao's flutz at Skate America when her next competitor has a worse flutz. Point out both.

Custom Title
    We won't see his [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8N7kF_gvzI"]Schindler's List[/URL] routine in a competition?!

That is a TRAGEDY

This news makes me very happy; I thought his commentary for IceNetwork was very entertaining and illuminating. He is a natural wit and this seems like a good fit for the next phase of his career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Thank you for the kind words, tulosai! I am just one of you trying to understand the system and picking out hte numbers seem to help!

Anyway here's the video of Johnny's segment:[url]http://www.today.com/news/johnny-weir-retires-joins-nbc-olympics-figure-skating-analyst-8C11446723[/url]

I agree with golden411, he was very tasteful and very graceful in his announcement, both regarding his retirement and regarding his decision to join the NBC Sports crew.

Johnny did do some commentary for Ice Network at 2012 U.S. Nationals. Here's a video of Jason Brown's SP that has Johnny's commentary: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4[/url]

Johnny adds some color...but also explains aspects of the system (i.e. the value of seamless entries into jumps and spins etc...the high value of a 3A and why Jason needs to have one, etc...)
    I thought Johnny was very classy and professional in this Today Show segment; I'm looking forward to his commentary!

Custom Title
    My impression is that the core on-air event commentating team will be the same. I get the impression that the 3 announced will be more "field" reporters, doing pieces which can be played during non-competition segments. A logical and incrementally positive addition to the overall broadcast plans for an event with as wide a scope as the Olympics IMO.

Naturally, these 3 know the athletes on more of a personal level and that will help with the "chemistry" when doing interviews.

Custom Title
    I think his commentary style is good. He's not over the top like Kurt, and he's informed. I think being a recent athlete skating under CoP, like Tanith, will also make him an asset. He also knows how to reign it in, and I don't picture him having the US favouritism that other commentators have had in the past (hah, especially when he hates the current crop of American men ).

Custom Title
    So happy for Johnny! And what a blessing for the viewers. Johnny is very smart and witty. Since he will be the "expert analyst" I believe he will actually give us insight into the system as well as to the specific skaters and their place in the map of world figure skating. He has a lot to offer since he has actually competed under the system and knows many of the skaters personally.

I hope Johnny will do commentary from the Nationals as well, because I want to hear him talk about "honeybadger Messing" and Max Aaron's eyebrows again Rock on, Johnny!!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    My impression is that the core on-air event commentating team will be the same. I get the impression that the 3 announced will be more "field" reporters, doing pieces which can be played during non-competition segments. A logical and incrementally positive addition to the overall broadcast plans for an event with as wide a scope as the Olympics IMO.

Naturally, these 3 know the athletes on more of a personal level and that will help with the "chemistry" when doing interviews.
    I'm not sure what to expect as far as the exact nature of the new roles for Weir and Lipinski.
    I'll put it this way: If I were the agent for Hamilton or Bezic, I would have jumped on the phone to NBC a.s.a.p. to protest that their continuing roles (if they really do still have them) were not acknowledged in today's press release.

"Weir and Lipinski will appear on NBC this Sunday at 4 p.m. ET alongside Terry Gannon on the network’s telecast of the 2013 Skate Canada International featuring performances from the men’s and ladies’ free skate competitions," according to the NBC release.
    OTOH ... I suppose it could be that they will be next to Gannon only this once to be "introduced"/announced ... and that for the Sochi broadcasts, they will not sit next to Gannon or Tom Hammond or whomever, but will serve as field-reporter types. Cannot rule out that scenario.

And it is true that right before Skate America, Lipinski taped a lot of stuff in the field with skaters in the Detroit area, which could be "banked" for use during the Sochi broadcasts.
    She also served as the correspondent for the local NBC station in Detroit for at least two stories pegged to Skate America.

(Whatever the roles of Weir and Lipinski turn out to be, Belbin's role clearly is something different.)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think his commentary style is good. He's not over the top like Kurt, and he's informed. I think being a recent athlete skating under CoP, like Tanith, will also make him an asset. He also knows how to reign it in, and I don't picture him having the US favouritism that other commentators have had in the past (hah, especially when he hates the current crop of American men ).
    On the contrary, I believe that Weir has been very supportive of some of the current American men. Aaron, Brown, Miner, and Dornbush (and maybe others) have skated in shows with Weir. In his reddit AMA (and prob. at other times too), Aaron has referred to Weir as a great friend. (Random fact: Weir is the one who originally set up Max's Twitter account.)

Sample tweets from @JohnnyGWeir during Skate America:

[INDENT]Looking fancy boys! Good start. @Adaripp crazy 4Lz-ing and @MaxTAaron bringing sexy back! @USFigureSkating
    4:33 PM - 18 Oct 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/391346233648095233[/url]

The future has become now. Well done and congratulations @jasonbskates and his coach Diva Kori! Enjoy people! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRmWq-1g4_w[/url] …
    9:25 PM - 18 Oct 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/391419719720263680[/url][/INDENT]

And an excerpt from the past week of an Instagram caption from @coachtomz:
    [INDENT]Johnny Weir and I backstage at Nationals in 2012. ... Thank you for all that you do for our sport and your support with Max. #tbt #icon
    [url]http://instagram.com/p/fkZV8QjYwz/[/url][/INDENT]

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This. I don't doubt he'll comport himself as appropriately as possible when the time comes.

I join Doris and others in thinking this will be a huge improvement over Scott. I used to somewhat enjoy Scott's commentary pre-COP but at this point, as we've all discussed on other threads ad nauseum, he is IMO actively hurting the sport's attempts to gain viewership. I think he is also reinforcing in a subtle way the idea some people have that it's not really a sport. Even without any 'deep' understanding of COP, you can say something like 'this is a lutz, for most people the hardest triple jump. It's got a base value of X more than the triple flip, which is the hardest jump her competitor, Y will be completing'. 'I'm not sure of the level of that spin, but it may have been a level 3. To get a level 3 spin,the criteria are X' instead of just saying during the slo mo replay 'great spin positions!'
    Also, I don't think COP is as beyond the reach of many Americans as Scott seems to think it is. I'm no Mathman or Mrs. P but I was able to come to a rudimentary understanding of COP quite quickly and really believe most other people could too (whether they agreed with it or not). I'm hopeful Johnny can open that door for them.

You mean something like this:

All spins, jumps and step sequences are now given a specific base value, depending on their difficulty. When the skater performs the move in a program, judges evaluate how well the move is performed on a Grade of Execution scale from -3 to +3. The GOE score is either added to or subtracted from the Base Value. Then all of the scores for each element performed in a program are added together to determine a Technical Elements Score.

4 sentences off the top of my head. I know it is more complicated than that but really, that's all most people will want to know. Add the problem of under-rotations when looking at the first skater to do so. Add some pretty graphs and you're good to go.

And feel free to add any suggestions. Maybe we can send it off to NBC and they'll use it.

Custom Title
    Johnny's weekly column is about his career and retirement: fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    You mean something like this:

All spins, jumps and step sequences are now given a specific base value, depending on their difficulty. When the skater performs the move in a program, judges evaluate how well the move is performed on a Grade of Execution scale from -3 to +3. The GOE score is either added to or subtracted from the Base Value. Then all of the scores for each element performed in a program are added together to determine a Technical Elements Score.

4 sentences off the top of my head. I know it is more complicated than that but really, that's all most people will want to know. Add the problem of under-rotations when looking at the first skater to do so. Add some pretty graphs and you're good to go.

And feel free to add any suggestions. Maybe we can send it off to NBC and they'll use it.
    Yeah I was thinking more of things to say during a performance or during the slow mo replays of moves. A basic explanation of COP is also sorely needed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast