Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Well, I'd rather listen to Johnny than to Scott. But is NBC setting up the NBC Skating Reality show where Johnny is supposed to get arrested by Russians?
    This could turn into figure skating's new "Nancy/Tonya" event

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    not surprised

soon to follow is Lysacek ....
    Except Lysacek wont be hired by NBC. Nobody is interested in him, even in the U.S.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Yeah I was thinking more of things to say during a performance or during the slow mo replays of moves. A basic explanation of COP is also sorely needed.
    I would love a 10-minute segment like this one CBS did in the 1988 Olympics on school figures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31-yn9XYq0k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQwszzIeWo

Or a breakdown of the top three performances, post-facto.

Here's the thing, I get Scott Hamilton's sentiment that it's hard to do a lot of work on the spot. However that is not an excuse. No sports journalist in the US, whether they cover prep football (high school) or the NFL, come into the games empty handed. They know the basic stats of the players and how they performed previously. A lot of these stats are gathered over SEVERAL years.

The work I did on my Nate Silver thread, for example, could have been done prior to the competition. What's Mao's BV on paper and what does she actually execute in the end? What's her triple axel success percentage rate? How often has she won w/o a 3-3? What has been the history as far as levels from these skaters?

The really good ones have kept excel spreadsheets that keep every single stat and they are armed and ready come game time.

The best ones know how to "interview the data" to answer the big questions.

Custom Title
    I am very happy for Johnny. Some of you may have heard his commentary from the 2012 Nats (for Universal?) and he was VERY good. I've been bored with Scott for years now. Same with Peggy Fleming and Dick Button. I think Johnny will bring current opinions and observations to the mix. I think he has a good sense of humor and his criticisms were never mean. I'm not so excited about Tanith Belbin or Tara Lipinski. But.......both are a vast improvement over Sandra Bezic. I think Sandra is a good choreographer but she's a little to aesthetic in her commentaries and they don't hold much meat!

I do hope Johnny doesn't give up figure skating as I've always loved watching him skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I do hope Johnny doesn't give up figure skating as I've always loved watching him skate.
    From his column today:
    "While my retirement surely isn’t a shock to the skating world, I have been able to become a sort of face for my sport to people who rarely watch it, and I always quickly follow up the statement of “I’m retiring from competition” with the truth that I will continue to skate and perform as long as my body will allow me and that I pass my presence in the competitive ranks on to some genius upstart, the youth that keeps the Olympics and sports alive."

source: http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/

I hope we get to see Johnny skating in shows for many, many years

Custom Title
    Now they just need to add Terry Gannon as the lead commentator and NBC will be listenable again.

Custom Title
    LOVE Terry Gannon. So glad we'll be getting him this weekend. Has he found a phrase to replace "those finishing in the top three after the short control their own destiny" yet? His go to.

I seem to remember Terry Gannon and Tara Lipinksi were the commentators on the grand prix last year, yes? I can't find any signs of NBC grand prix coverage online. : /

Maybe they reserve Sandra and Scott for what they think are higher profile events in the US.

Custom Title
    Sadly Scott and Sandra will be doing the Olympics again i'm sure. Johnny isn't ready to take over yet. But if he sticks to it he might be the future color commentator when Scott retires or cuts back. But Terry really needs to take over as lead commentator. Tom Hammond as i said adds nothing and is will be 70 years old next year.

Oh, yay for this! I watched Johnny's reality show and found it very entertaining, but I did worry that his funny, snarky diva personality would detract from commentary roles. But then I watched him do commentary for Universal Sports and he was fantastic - knowledgeable and professional, and knew that it wasn't his spotlight to take over. I think he'd be such an improvement over the current commentating regulars.

Custom Title
    I was never a fan of Weir's skating - I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't "for me". But, when he did some commenting/analysing for IceNetwork a few years back, I was surprised to find out how much I absolutely loved it - I ended up tracking down all the segments on Youtube. Well, whatever he does - commentry or just analysing (I'm hoping for commentry myself , I'll be looking forward to seeing clips on Youtube!

Following the link Mrs P provided, I caught a glimpse of him in the still - he was looking really nice... distinguished, I thought. Alas, the video did not play for me, however - appears to be geoblocked. (They did manage to show me a commercial while the video was loading however - which I thought was quite mean; of course, I wasn't paying it attention enough to have the foggiest clue what it was about - so... Ha! to the meanies at NBC! Sniff!)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Sadly Scott and Sandra will be doing the Olympics again i'm sure. Johnny isn't ready to take over yet. But if he sticks to it he might be the future color commentator when Scott retires or cuts back. But Terry really needs to take over as lead commentator. Tom Hammond as i said adds nothing and is will be 70 years old next year.
    I predict you will be wrong. Johnny, Tara, and Terry will be your Olympic broadcast team. Tom, Sandra, and Scott will be put out to the pasture with the other commentary rejects who were recently fired like Elfi Hellgal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I predict you will be wrong. Johnny, Tara, and Terry will be your Olympic broadcast team. Tom, Sandra, and Scott will be put out to the pasture with the other commentary rejects who were recently fired like Elfi Hellgal.
    No Scott and Sandra were at SA so no way are NBC letting them go that quickly. When a Network makes a change like this they would do it before the skating season began not during it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    No Scott and Sandra were at SA so no way are NBC letting them go that quickly. When a Network makes a change like this they would do it before the skating season began not during it.
    Well Elfi appeared at some early season event, then was fired.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Boy, I so so strongly hope you are right. Tom is okay but I really don't enjoy listening to Scott and Sandra. Still, I am happy with the Johnny, Tara, Tanith additions however large their roles.

Custom Title
    Who the heck is Elfi Hellgal?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast