Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst

Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    What does honey badger mean??
    Basically that you don't give a crap or don't care about what others think of you.

I guess you can argue Jason is one because he pretty much is in his own world and focuses on what he needs to do and doesn't dwell to much on what people say about him or his coach.

For example, you would never see Jason tweet about haters, which Gracie Gold did after SLC. He doesn't care or rather he chooses to focus on what makes him happy.

Custom Title
    This. But Johnny said it about Keegan Messing, not Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    This. But Johnny said it about Keegan Messing, not Jason.
    Oh I though it was Max Aaron. Wow lots of honey badgers!!

Though Johnny didn't explicitly call Jason a Honey Badger, I think Johnny was making the argument he was one. "He just doesn't care!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Oh I though it was Max Aaron. Wow lots of honey badgers!!

Though Johnny didn't explicitly call Jason a Honey Badger, I think Johnny was making the argument he was one. "He just doesn't care!"
    Lol! Max definitely has some honeybadger in him--but Johnny's all about Max's eyebrows

I believe the "he just doesn't care" was about Jason not getting tense under pressure (although he did in the LP in SA). According to Johnny Jason's world is "always bright and shiny". I must agree with that: Jason is Mr. Sunshine

I think we can expect quite a lot of humor from Johnny as a commentator/skating analyst.

Custom Title
    Just watched SC, and Johnny Weir did a very good job as a commentator, calm, insightful, intelligent, respectful and impartial. I really enjoyed it. I wish he keeps doing it like this and he should be a really good one in commentating force.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    Just watched SC, and Johnny Weir did a very good job as a commentator, calm, insightful, intelligent, respectful and impartial. I really enjoyed it. I wish he keeps doing it like this and he should be a really good one in commentating force.
    I could not have said it better - Johnny did a great job! Glad NBC recognizes his talent.

Custom Title
    To bad NBC won't use the team that called SC at the Olympics. Instead we will get the old farts Scott, Sandra and Tom Hammonds.

Seriously. Is there a place we can write to tell NBC how much we like the team of Gannon, Lipinski and Weir?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It did! Then scroll down to this: nbcsportshelp@nbcuni.com

I just sent mine.

Custom Title
    I finally got to watch some skating after what seemed like an eternity...to bad it was only the two hours on NBC, but still, I'm feeling (almost) back to skating fandom But, just chiming in here, I was so thrilled to hear Weir and Gannon ... I think Terry might have talked a bit too much; I almost imagined Johnny trying to 'shush' him...but, it was great and just like everyone already said. And informative. I loved Weir's discussion of Chan's knee work and its similarity to Oda and the way it isn't just beautiful but great technique for generating powerful skating. It seemed like with another minute, he would also be able to explain the complexity of choreo and foot placement (alas, this will await another day). But call me excited. And Tara was great too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    During NBC's recent coverage of gymnastics worlds, Schlegel's replacement was Olympic champion Nastia Liukin -- who previously had had a lesser on-air role, AFAIK.

So I think it is reasonable to wonder whether that decision by NBC is any kind of business model that the network will repeat ...
    It took them 20 years to make a change concerning Elfi, though. NBC hasn't had majority of the figure skating season for that many years. Plus, Scott is a well known champion skater, while Elfi was not a big name to the U.S. audience. And they left Al Trautwig in place. So I don't know...

I did enjoy Johnny, though. Love Terry Gannon as usual. And I like Tara.

Custom Title
    One thing that I like Weir's this commentating is that he did not try to play a judge and announce the placement according to his own judgement before the actual results came out like most of the American skating commentators have done before. I think this is really important. Without this respect to the skating judges' decisions, the commentators could use their own power create unnecessary conflicts between the judges and the viewers. For this I give a big thumb up for Johnny! Hope he could keep it this way in the future commentating.

Banned
    Nice jobs by both Johnny and Tara. Thoughtful and calm. Terry Gannon is the BOMB!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast