Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by loop9497 View Post
    It took them 20 years to make a change concerning Elfi, though. NBC hasn't had majority of the figure skating season for that many years. Plus, Scott is a well known champion skater, while Elfi was not a big name to the U.S. audience. And they left Al Trautwig in place. So I don't know...

I did enjoy Johnny, though. Love Terry Gannon as usual. And I like Tara.
    When the summer Olympics comes around, they'd better keep their hands off diving commentator Cynthia Potter. She's splendid and helps me understand what to look for in dives. I wish they could train her to commentate for skating!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Nice jobs by both Johnny and Tara. Thoughtful and calm. Terry Gannon is the BOMB!
    I think Johnny's voice was very much controlled and kind of like trying to pass the first biggest test from the viewers. Gannon was trying to make him talk more. Yeah, one voice was strong and loud while the other was calm and soft, a bit too much contrast.

Custom Title
    Great news. I think Johnny and Tara and Tanith are smart, insightful and interesting. I love it!!!!! Good move by NBC!!!

On the Ice
    I really like Terry Gannon too - did anyone else watching think of Terry commentating when Tara was on the ice at 14 and 15-years old and now there she is sitting with him? Same can be said for Johnny.

It made me realize that I've been watching for quite a while!

I thought Johnny did a nice job for his first time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think Johnny's voice was very much controlled and kind of like trying to pass the first biggest test from the viewers. Gannon was trying to make him talk more. Yeah, one voice was strong and loud while the other was calm and soft, a bit too much contrast.
    I noticed his voice was controlled, too (I thought it was a bit too much in a way). I also noticed Nastia trying something different with her voice at times for gymnastics commentary. Just newbies trying to find the right voice for commentary, I guess. I would probably do something similar if I were in their shoes, but that's mostly because I don't really like the way my voice sounds when I watch/listen to a recording of myself. And when people do speaking jobs, they want to sound professional and polished (even though commentary is not exactly like giving a speech). I understand it, but it is easy to notice the difference since they were already public figures we've been watching for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    When the summer Olympics comes around, they'd better keep their hands off diving commentator Cynthia Potter. She's splendid and helps me understand what to look for in dives. I wish they could train her to commentate for skating!
    I enjoy her as well. I also haven't really heard any criticism of her like people criticize the figure skating, gymnastics, and even swimming commentators, so I think she will be safe. And it's not like there are a lot of current diving champions in the U.S. to take her place. Plus diving isn't shown often on NBC like figure skating and gymnastics is, so I don't think there is as much a need to change things.

Custom Title
    Johnny has done commenting before----this was not his first time. I think he does an excellent job.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Tomorrow (Wednesday), Johnny Weir will appear on the fourth hour of the Today show on NBC. (On the east coast, it begins at 10 am.)

@JohnnyGWeir
    Watch for me tomorrow morning live on @klgandhoda! Love those girls!
    8:14 AM - 29 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/stat...07094032670721

Now for some wild speculation on my part:
    Kathie Lee Gifford has been away the first two mornings of this week. So far, Hoda Kotb has co-hosted with a different KLG fill-in each morning.
    I wonder whether KLG still will be away tomorrow morning, and if so, who her fill-in for the full hour will be.
    (Monday's was Jenna Bush Hager, who is a Today show correspondent/regular; and today's was actor Anthony Mackie. The show seems to be casting a wide net, so who knows who will take the seat tomorrow?? )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Tomorrow (Wednesday), Johnny Weir will appear on the fourth hour of the Today show on NBC. (On the east coast, it begins at 10 am.)

@JohnnyGWeir
    Watch for me tomorrow morning live on @klgandhoda! Love those girls!
    8:14 AM - 29 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/stat...07094032670721

Now for some wild speculation on my part:
    Kathie Lee Gifford has been away the first two mornings of this week. So far, Hoda Kotb has co-hosted with a different KLG fill-in each morning.
    I wonder whether KLG still will be away tomorrow morning, and if so, who her fill-in for the full hour will be.
    (Monday's was Jenna Bush Hager, who is a Today show correspondent/regular; and today's was actor Anthony Mackie. The show seems to be casting a wide net, so who knows who will take the seat tomorrow?? )
    Oh, a full force like rocket shooting speed into NBC network? I don't think so.

Custom Title
    I am not a huge fan of Tara's as a commentator. I wonder what else she does for a living or did she already make millions and saved it?

I think she is financially secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Oh, a full force like rocket shooting speed into NBC network? I don't think so.
    Bluebonnet is right: my speculation was wrong. KLG will be back on Today on Wednesday.

Weir simply will be a guest.

ETA:
    Update: Weir participated in a short quiz segment about the Sochi Olympics. Audience members tried to answer the multiple-choice questions. Weir's role was to give the correct answer (also shown on screen) and to add a few words of explanation/commentary. The questions were relatively superficial -- not Weir's fault.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I caught part of this segment at lunch. Johnny says he will have sparkles on his clothes when he sits in his little commentators' chair in Sochi.

News

Nastia Liukin will have an NBC role in Sochi of the same nature as Belbin's:

2008 U.S. Olympic Gold Medalist Nastia Liukin To Join NBC Olympics in Sochi
    Russian-Born, 5-Time Medal-Winning Olympic Gymnast to Serve as Reporter for NBC Olympics
    STAMFORD, Conn. – October 30, 2013 – Former U.S. gymnast Nastia Liukin, a winner of five Olympic medals including gold in the all-around at the 2008 Beijing Games, will join NBC Olympics for its Winter Games coverage in Sochi, Russia, it was announced today.
    Liukin, a dual Russian-U.S. citizen who was born in Moscow, will serve as a reporter for NBC Olympics’ multi-platform coverage and will present daily features for The Olympic Zone, NBC Olympics’ 30-minute daily show for NBC affiliates covering all aspects of the Games.
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...pics-in-sochi/

Hat tip to @nrarmour of AP.

Custom Title
    How lovely that Nastia will be there! I liked her a lot as a competitor, and it makes sense to have someone bilingual to give us insights into the events, the competitors and the local culture.

@Tara_Lipinski
    So excited to be judging #MissUniverse at #CrocusCityHall in Moscow Russia next weekend! Tune into #NBC on Nov 9th. @MissUniverse
    7:25 AM - 2 Nov 13
    https://twitter.com/Tara_Lipinski/st...44228216156160

So .... has Lipinski had this kind of quasi-high-profile role (unrelated to skating) in recent memory?
    Or is NBC making a recent push to increase her "celebrity" cred and Q rating?

Not saying that judging the Miss Universe pageant is akin to performing at the Super Bowl (random analogy that popped into my head), but Lipinski's fellow judges include Steven Tyler and Carol Alt. Mel B is a co-host. So Lipinski will be rubbing elbows with some much bigger names.
    (OTOH, the names of some other judges do not mean anything to me.)

I am making a not-too-far-fetched assumption here that NBC is involved -- along with pageant management -- in selecting the judges.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast