Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir officially retires + joins NBC as skating analyst

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I am making a not-too-far-fetched assumption here that NBC is involved -- along with pageant management -- in selecting the judges.
    Absolutely. Anyone who has a network gig is pushed into doin all kinds of stuff on the same network, even if it is no more than appearing in the audience of dancing with the stars.

OT -- Cool avatrar, golden411.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Absolutely. Anyone who has a network gig is pushed into doin all kinds of stuff on the same network, even if it is no more than appearing in the audience of dancing with the stars.

OT -- Cool avatrar, golden411.
    Agreed. Corporate "synergy," as they say.
    Because the pageant is in Russia and the Olympics there are fast approaching, I guess it makes particular sense for NBC to take advantage of the opportunity to get the name and face of Lipinski (as opposed to any other talent in the network's firmament) out there. And I suppose that American viewers will see some Road to Sochi promos during the pageant broadcast.

OT reply: Thx for noticing my avatar, Mathman. Prob. impossible to tell that I used a photo of Zhang/Bartholamay to show a little support for them re Cup of China.
    But it's already time to make a new avatar in anticipation of NHK ...

Custom Title
    This is the first time ever that I have watched figure skating on US television and not been ready to shout at my TV. Great, insightful commentary from both Tara and Johnny, no unnecessary talking, and no one telling me that the judging system is too complicated for mere fans to understand. Not only that, but they packed a lot of skating into an hour and a half, and no fluff. Sounds like the producers have been reading the skating forums.

Custom Title
    I just watched the NBC coverage of Cup of China and was SO impressed with the commentary! Terry Gannon is the "straight man" but he is also very knowledgeable, is on top of both the history and the current scene in figure skating, and asks great questions. Tara was much better than I'd expected- her voice is less annoying, and she is explaining the nature of mistakes clearly. Johnny was simply fabulous! The most insightful commentary I have seen since the days of Dick Button. This is exciting!

Custom Title
    I mentioned on one of the Cup of China threads how much I was enjoying Johnny Weir's commentary here. This has turned out to be an excellent choice on the part of the network. He's informative and sympathetic.

Banned
    I feel as though a lot of times Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic is having a competition on who can gush more, I dunno, ostentatiously. So I wouldn't mind Weir replacing Scott Hamilton at all.

To be fair, it's one thing dubbing the color commentary and analysis on a playback, but to deliver it on the spot or live is another.

Custom Title
    Add me to the long list of fans of Johnny's commentary. I actually learn things when he is commentating a program, such as when he was talking about how Kozuka uses the entire length of the blade when the skates and that's one indicator of his fine skating skills. It is neither dumbed-down nor explained in a way that would confuse a casual fan. Having a COP skater commentate is a great idea and I think Johnny will make the sport approachable to a wider audience.

Rinkside
    I agree, I enjoyed both Tara and Johnny. Great job!

Custom Title
    I'm very happy to hear that the Johnny does a great job as commentator, maybe for once in his competitive career Plushenko won't be portrayed as Russian Communist Villain by NBC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I'm very happy to hear that the Johnny does a great job as commentator, maybe for once in his competitive career Plushenko won't be portrayed as Russian Communist Villain by NBC.
    As long as there is a top American or Canadian competitor, the other skaters will be demonized by Scott and Sandra. Hearing Johnny and Tara has made me realize how useless Scott and Sandra are. The latter would never discuss air quality and how that could explain a string of poor performances in CoC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Nope. The NBC will always have the Evil Communist Russian vs the Sweet Innocent All-American Boy (possibly with added impetus this year since it's very likely that their All-American Boy actually WILL be a darling, and not just someone pretending).

@Tara_Lipinski
    The whole #NBCSochiTeam together for meetings & press photos!Scott & I did some funnies.Not sure theyll make the cut pic.twitter.com/jkcpWOpSjU
    1:17 PM - 4 Nov 13
    https://twitter.com/Tara_Lipinski/st...72816012201984

So Hamilton remains on the NBC team. (And my visions of Weir taking over the world will not come true ... at least not in Sochi. I will shut up now ...)

I believe that in the NBC/Skate Canada thread, someone had asked about access to the live streaming from Sochi.

FYI, the language in an NBC press release today (which mentions the streaming only in passing):
    It has already been announced that NBCOlympics.com will live stream all Olympic competition from Sochi. The vast majority of live streaming will only be available to authenticated cable, satellite or telco customers via “TV Everywhere,” the media industry’s effort to make quality content available to authenticated customers both in and out of the home, and on multiple platforms.
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...ames-coverage/

IIRC, this limitation on access is the same as what NBC had in place for its streaming of London 2012.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed Tanith ALOT more than I expected to. I think she really makes the viewer understand what's happening or not happening as the case may be. She's very knowledgeable and current. I've always loved Johnny and I think this is an excellent gig for him. He's intelligent, insightful and I think once he relaxes will be alot of fun to listen to. He's also current! I don't care much for Tara. I think she's very critical and somewhat negative. But any time I don't have to listen to Sandra Bezic gushing about signature moves, Scott gushing about everything, Peggy Fleming making meaningless comments or (gasp!) Dick Button telling me that a spiral is better than a triple jump ....................I'm a happy figure skating viewer! I think NBC really got it right with bringing in younger people who have fresh observations on the sport.

I LOVED hearing Johnny, he was fabulous! He and the British guys are now my favorites. I still am not a fan of Tara's ...I still found her a bit annoying. As for Scott I saw him at skate America sitting with the other reporters but I wasn't sure what he was doing.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast