Golden Spin and Golden Bear of Zagreb Competitions 2013-2014 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Golden Spin and Golden Bear of Zagreb Competitions 2013-2014

Krislite

Medalist
Her SP at Worlds didn't exactly score spectacularly. Mao's beat that in every single competition this season.

Well, if you're going to compare across seasons and competitions: with a near fall on her 2Axel Yuna just beat all of Mao's SP scores this season. :p

David21

On the Ice
What do I mean weak? Mostly lack of jumps in the second half. When compared to Asada, lack of 3a.

A lack of 3A has nothing to do with the "structure" of a program. And doing only the 2A as jump element in the 2nd half of the SP is something the women had done for decades so I wouldn't count that as weak structure either.

I never said they were here for my pleasure, but you have to admit, watching slow boring skating with some falls is not something you'd spend time on is it?

I think the key is, do you have a personal interest or emotional involvement with any of the competitors. What's really a treat is to go to local club competitions and recitals, where you can follow the progress of young hopefuls through several seasons. Sure, there are a lot of falls along the way and most of them hit a ceiling. Still, it's just as good as watching the world-beaters on TV. :yes:

I think the key is, do you have a personal interest or emotional involvement with any of the competitors. What's really a treat is to go to local club competitions and recitals, where you can follow the progress of young hopefuls through several seasons. Sure, there are a lot of falls along the way and most of them hit a ceiling. Still, it's just as good as watching the world-beaters on TV. :yes:

That's a very good point. It feels great when you follow a skater's progress and see their development or when a skater from a nation which never had much success, shows promise. But I don't think it's just that. There are lots of lower-ranked and 'uknown' skaters with some wonderful qualities to their skating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
More Tuktamisheva SP problem! And it's not jump specific at all. She's fallen on 3T and singled axels and fallen on spins so everything that can go wrong in a SP has gone wrong because she needs to comes to grips with what SP means and how to do them.

That's a very good point. It feels great when you follow a skater's progress and see their development or when a skater from a nation which never had much success, shows promise. But I don't think it's just that. There are lots of lower-ranked and 'uknown' skaters with some wonderful qualities to their skating.

That is so true. I am lucky enough to live in a city (Detroit) where there are many excellent senior and junior skaters.

Miki, Miki! You're so fine!

I hope Yuna didn't hurt her back on that double Axel.

The first half of Yuna's program was a dream. This will be her best short program ever.

Robeye

Final Flight
Did you have to install a missing plug-in? I'm always wary of doing that . Thanks.
I don't think so. It just takes a while to connect, particularly when the traffic is heavy.

Be on the lookout for the MBC ones, direct from the Korean broadcaster. There should be some suggested on this thread. :)

Like this one, for instance: http://www.kjmbc.co.kr/player/tvplayer.cfm
Nothing required for this; just watch.

Hope this helps.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
A lack of 3A has nothing to do with the "structure" of a program. And doing only the 2A as jump element in the 2nd half of the SP is something the women had done for decades so I wouldn't count that as weak structure either.

When you see Juniors with all their jumps on the latter half regularly, I do consider it pretty weak.

When you see Juniors with all their jumps on the latter half regularly, I do consider it pretty weak.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think "weak" is the right word.

It is true that some other skaters put more jumps in the second half of their programs. But those skaters have not set the all-time record for short program scores five times, as Kim has. (Sasha Cohen did it twice.) To me, what sets Kim apart is that she does not go point-fishing. Her programs are more in the spirit of what we used to see under 6.0 scoring. :love: A place for everything and everything in its place. Each element is complete within itself (indeed, textbook), yet together they make an ordered whole. Every move seems inevitable, but at the same time surprisingly satisfying.

Last edited:

Robeye

Final Flight
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think "weak" is the right word.

It is true than some other skaters put more jumps in the second half of their programs. But those skaters have not set the all-time record for short program scores five times, as Kim has. (Sasha Cohen did it twice.) To me, what sets Kim apart is that she does not go point-fishing. Her programs are more in the spirit of what we used to see under 6.0 scoring. :love: A place for everything and everything in its place. Each element is complete within itself (indeed, textbook), yet together they make an ordered whole. Every move seems inevitable, but at the same time surprisingly satisfying.
Hallelujah. At this stage of her career, Yuna is beyond gimmicks. As you say, she doesn't need them. There's a kind of beautiful, orderly progression to her program, like the best Palladian architecture, or the interior scaffolding of a nautilus shell.

(Sorry for double posting, but I could not contain my enthusiasm for your insights :biggrin:)

enlight78

Medalist
OMG Yu Na was incredible even with the step out on the double axel, can not wait to see the free

Krislite

Medalist
The first half of Yuna's program was a dream. This will be her best short program ever.

I'm not sure about that. She's had several great SP's: Tango de Roxanne, Danse Macabre and Mysterious Bond Girl. Not sure I declare it better than those. :biggrin:

Finnstep

Final Flight
Yu-Na's new FS dress is like a mix of her Danse Macabre dress and the 2nd(the one she used at last year's ATS) Roxanne dress. I think it's beautiful. :)

Robin26

Rinkside
will Korean tv show the entire event? my computer is requesting plug in on the other link as well/

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Not completely sure when, but I think the MBC TV Live link will air some sort of Yuna Kim broadcast at around 11:10pm PST (50 minutes from now). That's what the front page at imbc.com says, but I don't know Korean so...