Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

usethis2

Medalist
Doing every move with clear definition and highest quality? Having purposes and moving to the music help, too. From beginning to the end. You can have 5 people swing their arms in certain way and can tell who's best at it. It's not a rocket science. You know, like how Cercei can tell high borns and low borns. :rofl:

a_reader

Rinkside
I have a stupid question about how countries gain spots for next year's worlds or Olympics (if an Olympic year). I know that, in order for a country to gain or keep multiple spots for the next year, their top two skater/pairs (or only two if there are just two entries) have to have a combined placement of 13 or less to get three spots, and 28 or less to get two. I also know that, if a country sends one skater/pair, they must place top two for their country to gain three spots, or top 10 to gain two.
But what happens if, say, a country with three entries has one entry place first, and the other two are 13th and 14th, making the combined placement of their top two teams 14? Do they still fall to just two entries for the next year, or does the fact that their top entry won gold override the 13 or less rule?

concorde

Medalist
Ok - I understand the 2 and 3 spots. Why do some countries only get 1?

I assume it is something like the country's top finished place below XX and that results in only 1 spot.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Every country automatically gets one spot per discipline at Worlds and Junior Worlds.

If they didn't earn two or three spots last year, they get one. That might be because the skater(s) they sent last year didn't place well enough to earn extra spots. It could also be because they didn't send anyone last year.

Now that skaters are required to have earned minimum technical scores in the short and long program at some previous event(s) before being allowed to enter championships, it's more common for federations not to be able to fill every slot they're entitled to, at least in singles. Most federations don't even have any senior pairs or dance teams.

(European countries plus Israel can compete at the European Championships -- one spot automatic, extra spots according to the same rules as above.
Non-European countries can compete at the Four Continents Championships. For now, they're all entitled to three spots per discipline. Most of them are still developing federations and don't have entries in every discipline, certainly not three in each, especially with the minimum technical score requirements. So it's still a smaller competition than Europeans. When enough countries start fielding full teams, I'm sure they'll start limiting the spots per country by the same means as the other championships)

RABID

Final Flight
What specific qualities does a 'polished skater' have?

Well now that we just finished crowning Adelina as the "gold standard" I suppose we should to look to her for what a "polished skater" looks like..... right? :bow: :cry: :slink:

Antilopa

On the Ice
Well now that we just finished crowning Adelina as the "gold standard" I suppose we should to look to her for what a "polished skater" looks like..... right? :bow: :cry: :slink:
she's not polished yet. As Sara, Tara and Oksana.
The golden standart and most polished skater is Caro.
PS no need to be rude

usethis2

Medalist

#1. A spiral is not considered polished unless you wave your hand during the sequence.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
http://static.isu.org/media/108107/1790-sptc-sov_levdiff_2013-2014.pdf

In the error section of the SoV document, it lists "Lacking rotation (no sign) -1" as one of the deductions that a judge can apply to GoE.

Is this basically the "no sign" counterpart to an underrotated jump/cheated landing? Or does it refer to a jump that was visibly pre-rotated (visibly = in real time; I know they're not allowed to look at slow mo replays to determine pre-rotation), or both?

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
I apologize if this has already been discussed but why do Pairs and Men always seem to go first at major competitions (usually Pairs ends up finishing first)?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I♥Yuna;896445 said:
http://static.isu.org/media/108107/1790-sptc-sov_levdiff_2013-2014.pdf

In the error section of the SoV document, it lists "Lacking rotation (no sign) -1" as one of the deductions that a judge can apply to GoE.

Is this basically the "no sign" counterpart to an underrotated jump/cheated landing? Or does it refer to a jump that was visibly pre-rotated (visibly = in real time; I know they're not allowed to look at slow mo replays to determine pre-rotation), or both?

I would say either. But primarily the landing.

The tech panel didn't call < or <<. But the judge saw a problem with the rotation and reduces the GOE accordingly.

If there were significant visible prerotation on the takeoff, that would probably also merit reduction for "Poor take-off" in addition to "Lacking rotation."

I apologize if this has already been discussed but why do Pairs and Men always seem to go first at major competitions (usually Pairs ends up finishing first)?

Mostly tradition.

I think the pairs going first goes back to before there were short programs. Into the 1960s, men and ladies had many compulsory figures to compete before their freeskating; ice dance (introduced in the 1950s) had compulsory dances and free dance; pairs had freeskating only.

So even though the competition might start with compulsories, if the disciplines took turns competing pairs would finish first with their one program.

The pairs short program was introduced in the 1960s to give them a competition phase that was more standardized, so everyone had two phases but the pairs was still the shortest.

And then singles added a short program and dance added the Original Set Pattern (later Original Dance), so they had three phases compared to two for pairs. Again, the other disciplines might start earlier with compulsories, but pairs would still finish first.

And then in 1990-91 the singles got rid of their compulsories, and in 2010-11 the dance compulsories and OD were merged into the Short Dance.

So now that we're back to two phases for every discipline, in keeping with the tradition of pairs having the first final round of the week, their short program is generally first as well.

Ladies isn't always last -- usually the host federation schedules the event so that the big draw with local crowds and local media will be on Saturday night.

In the US that's always ladies, and when US networks were paying the largest amount of ISU income, they could dictate the schedule in other locations as well. But other nationals, or GP events, might schedule differently to feature whatever discipline sells best in their own market. In Canada, often men or dance.

Did Cup of China ever put pairs in the place of honor, when that was their glamour discipline?

Also sometimes at GP events or various nationals, one of the disciplines (never ladies in the US) will conclude on Sunday during the day, with the gala not until Sunday late afternoon or evening.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
Thanks gkelly!

One more from the +GoE section - what is the difference between bullet 3 "balanced rotations in all positions" and bullet 7 "good control throughout all phases"?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think "balanced rotations in all positions" means similar numbers of revolutions in each position of the spin.
Of course, they should be well balanced over the blade as well, but I think that's your #7 bullet point.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Random question: Is there a reason why ladies don't do a 2A-2A sequence in the free? I think that'd be cool to see.

Helix

Rinkside
A 2A+2A+SEQ is only worth 5.28 for a base mark. Sequences unlike combos are only worth 80% of the total combined jump value e.g. 2A is worth 3.3 so 3.3+3.3*0.8=5.28. If you did 2A+3T+COMBO you would get full value for both jumps 3.3+4.1=7.4 base value.

Helix

Rinkside
I♥Yuna;896779 said:
Thanks gkelly!

One more from the +GoE section - what is the difference between bullet 3 "balanced rotations in all positions" and bullet 7 "good control throughout all phases"?

I normally interpret it to say having an equal number of revs in each position. Sometimes lower level skaters will try a camel spin do 1 rev fall out of it and go into the sit position and do 4 revs. Since there isn't 3/4 revs in both camel and sit it isn't balanced.

In my example above the skater wouldn't have good control through all phases as they fell out of the camel spin even though they may have had good control in the sit so they wouldn't get a plus one bullet for that

cheerio2

On the Ice
A 2A+2A+SEQ is only worth 5.28 for a base mark. Sequences unlike combos are only worth 80% of the total combined jump value e.g. 2A is worth 3.3 so 3.3+3.3*0.8=5.28. If you did 2A+3T+COMBO you would get full value for both jumps 3.3+4.1=7.4 base value.

Thanks, I did not know that!