Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, skaters don't have to get a new program every season. Lots of skaters reuse programs or bring back programs - examples include Hanyu's SP these past two seasons, Ashley Wagner bringing back her Samson and Delilah LP, etc etc.

I think Ashley should just skate to Samson and Delilah from now on to the end of her competitive career. Was there ever another program that suited a skater so well?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

gourry

Final Flight
Does anyone know which version of Take Five Jeffrey Buttle used in 2003-2004?
I really like this program and it sounds a bit different from the usual Take Five I think.(this version seems to have little bit of embellishment just before the main saxophone melody begins.)
I'd really appreciate it if anyone can give me some info on this music.

eta: I was doing some more Youtubeing and realized that Patrick Chan also used same version of Take Five. Really wonder who the musician is...

supsu

On the Ice
Hey, does anyone remember or know who has skated to titanic soundtrack over the years?
I remember watching ice dance as a kid only cause there was a couple skating to it.. Does anyone know who they were..?

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Does anyone know which version of Take Five Jeffrey Buttle used in 2003-2004?
I really like this program and it sounds a bit different from the usual Take Five I think.(this version seems to have little bit of embellishment just before the main saxophone melody begins.)
I'd really appreciate it if anyone can give me some info on this music.

eta: I was doing some more Youtubeing and realized that Patrick Chan also used same version of Take Five. Really wonder who the musician is...

Paul Desmond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ToDoj-pWM

gourry

Final Flight
Thank you for your reply.
But I don't think it's the same arrangement. The arrangement Jeffrey and Patrick's programs used has some embellishment(not sure the proper musical term...) between the drum-piano and the main saxophone melody in the beginning.
I know Paul Desmond composed this music but was hoping if someone knew which particular arrangement they used.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But I don't think it's the same arrangement. The arrangement Jeffrey and Patrick's programs used has some embellishment(not sure the proper musical term...) between the drum-piano and the main saxophone melody in the beginning.
I know Paul Desmond composed this music but was hoping if someone knew which particular arrangement they used.

In the album version there's a like 2-minute long improv section. In the album, it's mainly a drum solo, but others have opted for the sax solo you heard from Patrick and Jeffery.

I had a hard time finding it as well.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty

In the album version there's a like 2-minute long improv section. In the album, it's mainly a drum solo, but others have opted for the sax solo you heard from Patrick and Jeffery.

I had a hard time finding it as well.

Exactly what Mrs. P said.

Also, whoever cut the music for both Jeff and Patrick did so to make it sound the way you hear it incorporated in the program version. :)

inskate

On the Ice
Is it illegal to do a splits in a program?

tulosai said:
You mean in the air? No, not to my knowledge. Sasha Cohen was the last person I saw do one though, as part of her spiral sequence in 2010.

YLFan said:
No, on the ice.

Under the current rules, during a competitive program the majority of the skater weight has to be supported by at least one blade. A kneeling position where one blade still rests on the ice would be OK, a full split where both of the blades are in no contact with the ice would be treated as a fall (-1 deduction).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Under the current rules, during a competitive program the majority of the skater weight has to be supported by at least one blade. A kneeling position where one blade still rests on the ice would be OK, a full split where both of the blades are in no contact with the ice would be treated as a fall (-1 deduction).
Aww. No fun. :p (Seriously though, while the pic of Yulia is :love:, at the same time I'm grateful we can't get Big Spenders in competition).

MalAssada

Medalist
I have another stupid question!

Assuming that a skater is ambidextrous, is (s)he allowed to jump in both directions, making a combination such as a 3Lz/3Lz?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have another stupid question!

Assuming that a skater is ambidextrous, is (s)he allowed to jump in both directions, making a combination such as a 3Lz/3Lz?

I have been wondering this as well, and to elaborate. . . could they get more points for it perhaps. . . seems it could at least count as difficult/interesting entrance. . . taking off on the opposite food.

Also would they still count as the same jump? I.e. could they do more than the current limit, if they added counter-rotated jumps? Taking off on a different foot seems somewhat a "different" jump to me.