Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 102 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Alright...here is a stupid question.

Does anyone know what radius/hollow most professional/elite figure skaters get on their blades? I've seen NHL teams equipment logs and other than goalies most get 5/8 to 7/16. Talking to a girl who has competed in one of the summer comps discussed here at GS she said she gets 3/8 which is SHARP. Do the elite skaters prefer the more aggressive cuts like that?

I can't answer your question but I will say that when I bought my first pair of skates last year she told me she would give me a "beginner" sharpening (I had barely ever been on the ice before) - and my ROH is 3/8". My understanding is that with a deeper ROH it's easier for someone like me to hold an edge (and for hockey players to get that really deep angle to the ice , I guess). An elite figure skater can hold an edge even if the grind is flatter, and may prefer it because it's easier to glide. I agree it would be interesting to know what Patrick Chan uses versus, say, Max Aaron. I of course would fall flat on my face with a flat grind. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I believe it stands for Before Anyone Else.

Thx, TGS :).
Not sure whether I have trouble remembering the original phrase b/c I have never liked the acronym -- or whether I have never liked the acronym b/c I have trouble remembering the original phrase :laugh:.
Anyway, I hope this one is a passing fad that will be supplanted by a new pet word before long.
(I'm not crazy about babe either, but its use often seems to be ironic, so I dislike it less than bae. Although the meanings are not identical, they just seem interchangeable to me.)
End of mini-rant ;).

moriel

Record Breaker
I can't answer your question but I will say that when I bought my first pair of skates last year she told me she would give me a "beginner" sharpening (I had barely ever been on the ice before) - and my ROH is 3/8". My understanding is that with a deeper ROH it's easier for someone like me to hold an edge (and for hockey players to get that really deep angle to the ice , I guess). An elite figure skater can hold an edge even if the grind is flatter, and may prefer it because it's easier to glide. I agree it would be interesting to know what Patrick Chan uses versus, say, Max Aaron. I of course would fall flat on my face with a flat grind. ;)

I recall Mishin complaining most skaters have their skates too sharp, which for example makes 3A harder to jump, as they need to just bruteforce it

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I recall Mishin complaining most skaters have their skates too sharp, which for example makes 3A harder to jump, as they need to just bruteforce it

Ha, well, I'm so far from jumping that I'll never have that problem! Seriously, I wonder if an elite skater's choice of ROH simply depends on what that skater got used to. For example, if Rainbo had initially given me a 1/2 or 5/8 ROH I wouldn't have known the difference & maybe I would just have gotten used to it. Now, even though I'm actually a better skater than I used to be & presumably could handle at least a slightly flatter grind, I'm hesitant to change what seems to be working. I'll be interested to hear from @karne and other skaters on here as to Sam's original question and as to my own stupid question - has anyone changed their ROH and if so, how did it affect your skating? ;)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What the the official rules on stopping the music for a program?

The music at Sochi did not stop when Jeremy Abbott crashed but he said i recall he expected it to. His coach said she tried to get on the ice but the door did not cooperate, would coach on ice automatically equal music stop?

In the Totmianina and Marinin crash the music played for a bit but stopped when it it started to appear she was not moving.

in looking for that crash I found one of Prokuronova/Stefl that the music stopped really soon, but no sign of a signal to stop from skaters. I mean I think we have seen people get up from similar stuff unless i am missing something (not that they should have to, just looking at comparisons). It might be a worse crash, but she got up and was moving around really quickly, and the music stopped almost before the skaters had a chance to self-assess.

https://youtu.be/5IwKBUaaoOc?t=51

Part of why I am asking is that Mirai stopped for a really long time at the Broadmoor open. Long enough that i was not sure what was going on. I actually thought for a while she was waiting for the music to stop so she would withdraw to give you some idea. But not she just kinda stood there looking like she needed a basket of kittens and many hugs for a prolong time then started up again.

So what is the rule? Only when someone signals (i.e. a coach may have done so in the pairs examples)? Only when obvious injury or confirmation from skater/coach? Should I assume that Mirai's music would of stopped at another comp, or would she have needed to do something. Maybe a you have to signal if you physically can rule?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
What the the official rules on stopping the music for a program?

As with many other rules, they are largely determined by the discretion of the event officials (or Referee, in this case) to make specific determinations on stopping music.

http://static.isu.org/media/166717/...and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_14-09-16.pdf

1. Duties and powers of the Referee
- times, with the assistance of a timekeeper, the program as skated, possible interruptions (see Rules 503 and 515), Dance Lifts (Ice Dance only with the assistance of a second timekeeper);
- times the tempo of Pattern Dance music chosen by Couples and the tempo of specified parts of Short Dance (when applicable) (Ice Dance only);
- decides upon the deductions according to Rule 353, paragraph 1. n) for the following violations: program time, interruptions in performing the program, interruption of the program with allowance to resume from the point of interruption, part of the costume/decoration falls on the ice, Dance Lifts exceeding permitted duration (Ice Dance only) and tempo specifications (Ice Dance only);
- suspends skating until the order is restored in case the public interrupts the competition or interferes with its orderly conduct;

Rule 515
Allowance of a delayed start or restart

1. If the tempo or quality of the music is deficient, the Competitor/s may restart the program from its beginning, provided the Referee is informed within 30 seconds after the start of the program.

2. If an interruption or stop in the music or any other adverse condition unrelated to the Competitor/s or his/their equipment, such as lighting, ice condition etc. occurs, the Competitor/s must stop skating at the acoustic signal of the Referee. The Competitor/s shall continue from the point of interruption immediately after the problem has been solved. If, however, the interruption lasts longer than ten minutes, there shall be a second warm-up period according to Rule 514, paragraph 2.

3. If a Competitor gets injured during the performance or another adverse condition related to him or his equipment (such as health problems or unexpected damage to his/their clothing or equipment) impedes his/their skating, the Competitor/s must stop skating. If he/they don’t stop, they will be ordered to do so by an acoustic signal of the Referee.
a) If the adverse conditions can be remedied without delay and the Competitor/s resumes skating his/their program without reporting to the Referee, the Referee will apply a deduction for interruption as per Rule 353, paragraph 1.n) depending on the duration of the interruption. This time period commences immediately after the Competitor/s stops performing the program or is ordered to do so by the Referee, whichever is earlier. During this time period, the Competitor’s music will continue playing. If the Competitor/s does not resume skating his/their program within forty (40) seconds, he/they shall be considered withdrawn;
b) If the adverse conditions cannot be remedied without delay and the Competitor/s reports to the Referee within forty (40) seconds, the Referee will allow an additional up to three (3) minutes period for the Competitor/s to resume skating. Then the Referee commands to stop the music. The additional time period commences at the moment the Competitor/s reports to the Referee. The Referee will apply a deduction as per Rule 353, paragraph 1.n) for the whole interruption. If the Competitor/s does not report to the Referee within forty (40) seconds or does not resume skating his/their program within the additional three (3) minutes period, he/they shall be considered withdrawn.

The Referee shall first decide and indicate to the Technical Controller where the point of interruption is. If the Technical Panel decides that the interruption occurred at the entrance to or during an element, the Technical Panel shall call the element according to the usual principles of calling, and the Technical Controller shall inform the Referee of those decisions. The point from where the Competitor/s has to continue the program shall be decided and communicated to the Competitor/s, the Judges and the Technical Panel by the Referee: it is either the point of interruption, or, if the Technical Panel has decided that the interruption occurred at the entrance to or during an element, the point immediately following this element.

4. If a Competitor with the first starting number in the group gets injured or any other adverse condition related to him or his equipment impeding his/their skating occurs during the warm-up period and time before the start of the program is not sufficient to remedy the adverse condition, the Referee shall allow the Competitor up to three (3) additional minutes before he/they is/are called to the start. No deduction as per paragraph 3 above applies.

5. If any Competitor/s between entering the ice and being called to the start is/are injured or any other adverse condition related to him/them or his/their equipment impeding his/their skating occurs and time before the start of the program is not sufficient to remedy the adverse condition, the Referee shall allow the Competitor/s up to three (3) additional minutes before he/they is called to the start. The Referee will apply a deduction as per paragraph 3.b) above.

6. With respect to adverse conditions related to a Competitor or his equipment as per paragraph 3.b) above, only one restart per program is allowed. In case of a second stop of the performance due to an adverse condition related to the Competitor/s or his/their equipment as per paragraph 3.b) above, the Competitor/s concerned shall be considered withdrawn.

7. If Competitor/s do not complete the program, no marks are awarded and the Competitor/s is/are withdrawn.

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
Okay, so I gotta know....who is she? I know she translates for Russian skaters like Yulia and Elena....but why is she literally everywhere? :unsure:

Imagine

Medalist

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tatjana is awesome!! Last year when no one was getting the Russian Nationals feed and that included Russians IIRC....Tatjana showed up out of nowhere broadcasting on an ESPN feed of all places. She was very good too :points: And so in the end we got to see all of the Russian Federations Christmas Decorations with a small dose of skating in between :biggrin:

I think she actually posts occasionally here at GS and once again IIRC she has done stories for the Golden Skate from time to time.

uhh

Medalist
Ha, well, I'm so far from jumping that I'll never have that problem! Seriously, I wonder if an elite skater's choice of ROH simply depends on what that skater got used to. For example, if Rainbo had initially given me a 1/2 or 5/8 ROH I wouldn't have known the difference & maybe I would just have gotten used to it. Now, even though I'm actually a better skater than I used to be & presumably could handle at least a slightly flatter grind, I'm hesitant to change what seems to be working. I'll be interested to hear from @karne and other skaters on here as to Sam's original question and as to my own stupid question - has anyone changed their ROH and if so, how did it affect your skating? ;)

It really does come down a lot to personal preference & what you want to do on the ice, although things like weight will play into it as well. As a general rule, a flatter grind will allow you to pick up more speed & have a smoother glide, but you lose a bit of control on your turns.

I changed to a slightly deeper grind about a three weeks ago after talking to our rink skate shop - I was starting to get the sudden unexpected sideways movements that you get when blades get dull & I felt I had zero control on my outside edges. My sharpener said the blades still seemed OK & sharp in theory, so he suggested we try a deeper grind instead. It was OK to start with, I had my control back & more bite on the turns, but recently I've started to really notice the extra effort I have to put in to get the flow I had on the old ROH. So I think a bit more playing round to find out what works is required & the answer might actually be switching to a different width of blade.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's not legal in ISU competition, but it's pretty common in exhibitions/show skating/professional competitions.

I've heard it called a headbanger spin or bounce spin.

I thought the idea of the special "Pamchenko" move in The Cutting Edge was to go from a bounce spin directly into a throw. Of course they never showed the whole move because it's probably not physically possible the way they described it. (Also not legal in competition, but they didn't dwell on that.)