Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 108 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

usethis2

Medalist
I forgot why I visited this thread while reading the interesting discussion started with.. something about tickets?

Anyhow, now I remember and want to ask: What was the official reason why ISU dropped spiral sequence from ladies single, if there was one?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right after the twizzle what exactly is the series of steps called that Nicole does here?? She sort of does it both ways too but the way she uses the outside edge on the first one with her left leg reaching up is uber cool :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the SP would almost have to end on a cliffhanger and the FS would be the conclusion. Interesting :think:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
VERY silly question:

Has any skater ever skated to one piece of music in both phases of competition? I specifically mean one piece of music cut into two pieces of unequal length, with some sort of indication in the choreography or costuming to emphasize the continuity between the two programs.

My gut tells me that this would be received poorly by the judges and that is why such a set of programs has not been attempted, but maybe it did happen once or twice?

Denis Ten in 2012/13 with the "The Artist", though different music cuts (SP "happy", FS "sad")

Zhiganshina/Gazsi in 2013/14 where they even wore the same costumes for the SD and FD. Music was different from both program, but the theme was a continuation ("nerdy professor, young hot student"-something)

Kanaka Murakami in 2014/15 with POTO has been mentioned.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Speaking of Phantom of the Opera, Kathaleen Kelly Cutone used it for both short and long program in 1996 and I think also 1995 when she returned to competition after law school. On the short programs from US Nationals were televised.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
VERY silly question:

Has any skater ever skated to one piece of music in both phases of competition? I specifically mean one piece of music cut into two pieces of unequal length, with some sort of indication in the choreography or costuming to emphasize the continuity between the two programs.

My gut tells me that this would be received poorly by the judges and that is why such a set of programs has not been attempted, but maybe it did happen once or twice?

I think Denis Ten during 2012/2013 season skated both program to the ''Artist'' soundtrack.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
In the 90s Candeloro of France just couldn't stop skating to the Godfather movies soundtracks. It was his lp and sp in 1994. He also used it in 1995 when he 'played' an older godfather in his lp. Can't remember what he skated to during his '95 sp though.

gourry

Final Flight
I was watching Chasity's video and it got me thinking.... Has anyone skated to Star Wars competitively? :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

gourry

Final Flight

And here he is performing his Star Wars SP at the 2001 Nations Cup On Ice (the German round of the GP Series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOTAO9ZeTQ

Just a pity it is some of the lesser known pieces from the film that he has used in this programme.

I'd love to see somebody do a routine to the Main Theme or (even better) the "Imperial March"!

[Breathes heavily...]

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks dorispulaski and CaroLiza_fan!
Wow those jumps! But yeah this program/music/costume doesn't shout Star Wars that much. Maybe they thought if it is too Star Warsy, it would be cheesy....?
Still, quite entertaining. :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
I was watching Chasity's video and it got me thinking.... Has anyone skated to Star Wars competitively? :)

The pair who won the U.S. Nats this year in either juvenile or intermediate did. It was their FS and I can't figure out what level...I think the girl's last name was Soltazzo.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The pair who won the U.S. Nats this year in either juvenile or intermediate did. It was their FS and I can't figure out what level...I think the girl's last name was Soltazzo.

Just looked up the results on Wikipedia, and the couple you are thinking of are:

Altice Sollazo / Paul Yeung

They won Juvenile Pairs with a score of 39.12.

Here is their Stats On Ice Bio (only results on it at present):
https://statsonice.com/skaterteam/Altice/Sollazo/Paul/Yeung/

There aren't any videos of them on YouTube.

CaroLiza_fan

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Ah, I forgot to bring up a question in here I'd originally asked during one of the Riga events, as I said I would :) Oops..

What would happen if a zamboni died out on the ice during a competition? Has this ever happened?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have never seen it at a competition, but I have seen one towed off by a tractor at the rink :biggrin:

At big arenas, they run 2 Zambonis at once, so after the first one was towed off, the second would finish the resurface. If there is more than one ice surface in the complex, there would also be more than one Zamboni.

If a competition were held at a rink with one Zamboni, I am not sure what they would do after the broken Zamboni was removed.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Elvis did, I forget which year. Plus that American skater in the late 90s with a European name. Zultan/Goran Ivanovic or something like that.

gourry

Final Flight

Just looked up the results on Wikipedia, and the couple you are thinking of are:

Altice Sollazo / Paul Yeung

They won Juvenile Pairs with a score of 39.12.

Here is their Stats On Ice Bio (only results on it at present):
https://statsonice.com/skaterteam/Altice/Sollazo/Paul/Yeung/

There aren't any videos of them on YouTube.

CaroLiza_fan

Elvis did, I forget which year. Plus that American skater in the late 90s with a European name. Zultan/Goran Ivanovic or something like that.

Thanks!! :D

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Oh, Liam! Thank you so much for making me laugh! :laugh:

Obviously, I knew you were talking about Mr Stojko. But, as I am sure most people do, my first thought was of Mr Presley! Well, I suppose I did see Mr Presley when I was flicking through the channels last night, so he was in my mind already.

But then on top of this, you go and put the image of Goran Ivanišević skating into my head! Well, we saw Serena Williams on the ice last year, so why not another tennis player?

By the way, when trying to find out who you were talking about, I discovered that Goran Ivanovic is the name of a Croatian guitarist. And he's pretty good! :rock: So, thank you for that too!

Anyway, I had no idea who this skater you were talking about was, as it is only in the past couple of years that I have started paying any attention to American Nationals. But, I just went through the American Nationals archives on Wikipedia and guessed that you are talking about Serbian skater Trifun Živanović.

Unfortunately, the list of his music on his Wikipedia page only covers 2002 – 2007. So, there is no mention of what he used earlier.

HOWEVER, a search for his name on YouTube came up with the goods!

1996 US Nationals SP

And it even started with the 20th Century Fox jingle, before launching into the Main Theme. :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan