Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 131 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

mrrice

Record Breaker
[StitchMonkey;1280648]I don't know how many venues "make" ice fresh for skating events. My understanding was that the norm was to just keep the ice frozen and cover it with the alternative floring.

This most definitely happens and I can say from personal experience that I've performed on stages and in Arena's that were freezing cold. In Pittsburg, Dayton Ohio, and the worst was in Buffalo New York. I remember singing "Rhythm Of The Night" and laughing at the cloud of fog that was coming out of my mouth as I sang. I also remember laughing at the back up dancers who looked hilarious as they held their ending pose and looked like they were smoking because their breath was so fogged up.:laugh2:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... How long does it take for an Arena like the "Staple Center" here in California to make ice ?

Local TV interview with USFS/ISU ice technician for 2015 Skate America in Milwaukee:

This ice tech is on a traveling team for USFS and ISU comps, responsible for meeting ISU standards for the ice. Based in Colorado Springs. He was interviewed on Thursday morning. Very rough summary of what he said:

He repeatedly emphasized that for the caliber of skaters at Skate America, they want to make the ice "as good as we can."
Arrived on Monday; had to build 1.5 inches of ice.

They build the ice 100 gallons at a time; takes 15,000-16,000 gallons to get 1.5 inches of ice. Been here pretty much nonstop for the last three days.
Want ice to go on in thin layers so it's dense and hard. Working air and impurities out. [Said something under his breath about "total dissolved solids."]

Everything we're doing here is for clarity and quality of ice for these skaters.

Thin layers, getting it to freeze right away.
Lot of specific conditions we're looking for in terms of ambient conditions, humidity levels, dewpoints, etc.
And then we work with the water qualities. Try to put it on with a method that gets rid of some of those impurities.

"For the caliber of skaters coming out here, we gotta really pay attention to how we're building this and what goes into this."

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Golden411icecoverage, Thank you for providing that link. It was very informative. :agree:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Greensboro had two temporary ice surfaces built both times they hosted Nationals. Skaters gave the quality of the rinks & ice high marks! ...

Link below is for time-lapse video of the construction of the practice rink at 2015 Nats in Greensboro.
Again, the practice rink, not the competition rink, but in case anyone is interested:

Construction of the practice rink began on Jan 12.

First day of official practice was Jan 16.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Good Morning All, I have 2 questions for you. After reading that Rachael Flatt is Angela's Choreographer, I was wondering if she travels with Angela? I always see Lori Nichol in the KnC with Frank but I don't remember seeing Rachael with Angela.

My next question is...."What's Ryan Bradly up to these days?" With Patrick making a comeback and with Josh out, I was trying to think of who our most reliable jumpers were. I saw Ryan somewhere ( Man I'm Old ) and remember thinking to myself. How does he get that giant body around on his jumps. Can't he do back flips as well? I know Evan is tall but Ryan has a "Thicker" build than he does. He must be doing shows as he was very fun to watch.

I just checked my videos. It was nationals 2011. I always forget about Ryan that season because I was Fascinated by Ricky Dornbush and the guy who did Casablanca. BRB.....................Duh. Ross Miner! He was great, just great. ;)

Last edited:

skateusa

Spectator
I have a question. How do you add a profile picture on this site? For some reason I can't seem to figure out how.

Thanks!

^ After you have 25 posts that feature will automatically be enabled for you account. :)

Post often, post long!

MamaD

Spectator
Not exactly a stupid question but fairly random. Where is the Trophee Eric Bompard normally held (I thought Paris) and will it go back there? I think I heard something about renovations on the facility in Paris but can't find any info.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, here's a music question for you guys. Has anyone ever skated to "Jump For My Love" by the Pointer Sisters? I just heard it and sure is a fun piece of music.

Ok, here's a music question for you guys. Has anyone ever skated to "Jump For My Love" by the Pointer Sisters? I just heard it and sure is a fun piece of music.

I can totally see it! Every time they say "jump," she has to jump. :rock:

Lysambre

Final Flight
Not exactly a stupid question but fairly random. Where is the Trophee Eric Bompard normally held (I thought Paris) and will it go back there? I think I heard something about renovations on the facility in Paris but can't find any info.

TEB is usually being held in Paris, the arena where it's held has been in renovation for the past two years, hence why it was held in Bordeaux.

Confirmation has been made this very morning that next year, TEB will be back in Paris in 2016 :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which venue is the one that people complain about bird poop? That's s thing right?