Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 141 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They do enter the jump from their blade edge or toe pick like singles skaters.

Watch the ladies' feet on the entries to the throws. You can see what edge they take off from.

Thanks, gkelly for the detailed answer. I guess I'm not paying enough attention to their skates before takeoff to notice where their blades are. I'll be sure to look next time!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I *think* it was a version from the acapella group Pentatonix. My question for you & or someone else. Whose version of "Jingle Bells" did Todd skate to in this show?
It is! :thank: And as far as I can tell, "Jingle Bells" was by the Brian Setzer Orchestra. Not my cup of tea. :no: Nice to see that Todd is still skating!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has certainly been the traditional custom in the King's English. I have never heard an English person say "Paree." (Americans do so occasionally to try to sound cool. Then everyone says, "Where?" :) )

Speaking of the king, if your family came from France and was named "Roi" you have the choice of going with "Roy" pronounced as in Roy Rogers or of changing the spelling to "Waugh" as in Evelyn Waugh.

Hockey fans here in Detroit used to think that the Colorado Avalanche had two goalies, a guy named Roy and a guy named Wah. (French Canadian Patrick Roy. ;))

I think that is kind of a lost cause. English speakers cannot duplicate the initial sound in Nguyen. I think most second generation Vietnamese in America are reconciled to "Win."

You're probably right. I, however, took an Indonesian Studies class years ago and learned how to say the Ng as the initial sound. :handw: LOL,

But when Nam was asked to pronounce his name, I'm pretty sure he made two distinct syllables out of it. I figured he must prefer to say it as his fellow Canadians, especially classmates and friends, say it. I thought it was sweet of him to answer the question first, with how his parents say it. He's very charming and respectful.

That's hilarious, about fans thinking the Avalanche had two goalies. I knew how to pronounce roi, but I didn't know that's where the name Waugh came from. Very Interesting. I read that around the Hundred Years War, many English were afraid the language would die out, because the aristocracy and royalty used French. Boy, they turned that around.

:hijacked:Another name in England is Beauchamps, obviously French. Apparently some English don't change the spelling, but pronounce it Beecham! ;)) When we were in England, it took me till about the third time someone said the word "garage" to me for me to understand it, because it rhymed with "carriage."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with @Skylark, I'm so thrilled with British Eurosport announcing as an alternative, I don't care how they mangle names. And I will say, I hope without fear of offense as someone of British ancestry, that no one mangles a name quite like the Brits. But they are indeed equal opportunity.

I think it has been mentioned (or at least I have mentioned in other threads:laugh:) that many Americans do not pronounce their surnames in the manner of their country of origin. Alexa Scimeca does not pronounce her name the way it would be pronounced in Italian, but hey, she's not Italian.

Then again, maybe as a Jason uber, I just don't care because even Nicky and Chris can't mangle "Jason Brown".:rofl:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This language discussion reminds me of what goes on the elementary school where I taught (I still go in as a volunteer now that I have retired from teaching). As an ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) teacher, I always tried to learn how to pronounce the students' names properly. I'm not a language purist by any means, but I would cringe (and still do) when the principal or vice principal would get on the PA system & mangle a student's name (particularly the Asian ones). My other ESOL colleagues & I would gladly offer helping them in advance so they wouldn't embarrass themselves and mess up the kids' names (to the point where the names were unrecognizable to those kids - this happened frequently @ school award ceremonies). I think people involved in professional sports reporting should @ least learn to say the athletes names reasonably accurately (and practice saying them in advance of the broadcasts if there's any doubt).

BTW, not a big deal, but I thought the "d" in "Bompard" was supposed to be silent. Craig Hummer keeps saying "Bompard," when I thought it should be pronounced as "Bompar." I'm much more frustrated when an athlete's name is grossly mispronounced. Can anyone whose first language is French comment on this? Silent "d" or not 2 the end of a word?

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I think people involved in professional sports reporting should @ least learn to say the athletes names reasonably accurately (and practice saying them in advance of the broadcasts if there's any doubt).
QUOTE]

Totally agree, I believe it is a courtesy to the skater and a show of professionalism that they could learn to pronounce their names if they are not sure. There are plenty of sources out there where they could find out how. I'm very fond of the clips on YouTube of the skaters saying their own names so even if there are various ways to say the name, you will end up saying it the way they say it, I was aware there were a number of correct pronounciations of Nam Nguyen's name and was glad to learn the one he uses!

But I do get why people might not care about the Eurosport guys mispronouncing names because they really are the gold standard of skating commentary. They know when to stay quiet and when to offer helpful guidance through the routine and the post skate analysis is excellent. Sitting through some commentary on online clips is often excrutiating! However, I can't wait to hear what they make of Lubov Iliushechkina's name...

lyverbird1

Final Flight
For videos of skaters pronouncing their own names, GS itself is a great resource :yes: -- thanks esp. to Doris and sabinfire, who together have been doing the lions' share of the work on the GS pronunciation thread.

Lotsa videos already have been collected in the GS thread started by Doris, and more are added on an ongoing basis.

sabinfire has edited many of them down, isolating just the few seconds when the skater pronounces her/his own name.

And Doris has added each link to the individual skater's GS fan thread.

Thanks for that reference!

Johar

Medalist
Are there any moves banned in competitions and exhibitions for being too dangerous? I know the "head banger" used to be done in exhibitions and shows.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I don't know for a fact what the reasoning is, but headbangers, detroiters, and backflips are banned in competition and danger is probably part of the reason.

I don't know for a fact what the reasoning is, but headbangers, detroiters, and backflips are banned in competition and danger is probably part of the reason.

Although, I believe that the ISU has also used the reason that, for instance for a Detroiter, the man is not really skating.

I would speculate that the biggest problem is children trying to lean these moves in a crowded session without adequate individual supervision?

Johar

Medalist
What is a Detroiter?

Are there moves not banned, but no longer performed? I don't see the long (as in timed) spirals.

Imagine

Medalist
Are there singles skaters who use the twizzle in their programs, other than Polina Edmunds? I've only seen her do them and they work brilliantly for her programs...wondering why there aren't more ladies who perform them?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Are there singles skaters who use the twizzle in their programs, other than Polina Edmunds? I've only seen her do them and they work brilliantly for her programs...wondering why there aren't more ladies who perform them?

Many single skaters do them as part of their step sequence/features

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

A lot of skaters do them as transitions or in step sequences.

In Australia they are part of the Junior or Senior (or both, I can't quite remember right now) Pattern Tests.

noskates

Record Breaker
Isn't Marina Klimova one of her coaches? Putting twizzles in Polina's program was probably because of Marina's extensive dance background maybe? I think they're nice to watch.

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
Oh that's weird, something about Polina's must really make them stand out because I haven't really noticed it when the other skaters do them. Maybe I should pay closer attention....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Oh that's weird, something about Polina's must really make them stand out because I haven't really noticed it when the other skaters do them. Maybe I should pay closer attention....

I think part of it is that Polina's are very good so that make them easier to spot. She also frequently does them in very traditional twizzle positions which again make them a bit easier to spot.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here is a video example of a Detroiter. I can't imagine having the nerves to practice something like this - spinning around above the guy and having him only have a hand at my legs? I would be too afraid to fly off and fall God know where. YIKES!

I have never done pairs and don't think I would have been good at it. I can't imagine the guilt I'd feel if I ever caused an Injury by tripping during a lift. I remember that scene from Tai and Randy's Movie. I think Randy Gardner dropped Tai on her face. I couldn't forgive myself.