Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
'Tano comes from Brian Boitano, who was known for his lutz with one arm over his head.

Rippon comes from Adam Rippon, who is known for his lutz with two arms over his head.

I didn't know this. Thnak you.:thumbsup:

lefeury

Rinkside
My stupid question is about using a VPN in order to access live feeds from other countries that broadcast skating. Is there a thread about this here already?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
What's the difference between "tano jump" and "rippon jump"? I know both of them has to do something with your arms over the head in jumps. And where do the names come from? Sorry if this has been explained earlier or somewhere else.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a whole thread about "tano" jumps and whether they should be limited in programs:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-number-of-quot-Tano-quot-hand-position-jumps

Below is a link for Brian Boitano's short program from the 1988 Olympics; the tano lutz comes around 0.43-0.45. And the height he gets on the death drop @ 2.00-2.01...! :rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_IXnlbd1U

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
In case you haven't seen it, here's a whole thread about "tano" jumps and whether they should be limited in programs:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-number-of-quot-Tano-quot-hand-position-jumps

Yeah, actually that thread was the reason why I wanted to know the difference between those two positions! I understood only some part of the discussion so I wanted to learn more. Excellent figure skating trivia :clap: And thanks for the link, what a great program! The flying spin jump was huge! :jaw:

clippers8200

On the Ice
Do judges apply GOE marks while the skater is performing his/her routine or during the replays following the skate?

Helix

Rinkside
Do judges apply GOE marks while the skater is performing his/her routine or during the replays following the skate?

Judges put in their score as the elements come up on the screen, which is about a 10 second delay after the skaters do the element. If there is a <, << or e added to the element after the program is finished they have about 30 seconds to fix their scores then.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah, actually that thread was the reason why I wanted to know the difference between those two positions! I understood only some part of the discussion so I wanted to learn more. Excellent figure skating trivia :clap: And thanks for the link, what a great program! The flying spin jump was huge! :jaw:

Anna, here is a nine-second video of Rippon's Rippon lutz (viewable without an Icenetwork subscription).

clippers8200

On the Ice
Judges put in their score as the elements come up on the screen, which is about a 10 second delay after the skaters do the element. If there is a <, << or e added to the element after the program is finished they have about 30 seconds to fix their scores then.

Thanks! If they have to keep looking at their screens with a 10 second delay, though, aren't they missing the live routine in front of them?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This may not be especially stupid, but I was wondering about World Championship ticket prices and general info. I want to go in 2016 in Boston (very far away, I know) but I would like to know what I'm to expect. I searched for info about Worlds but got only bits of information. I was wondering when is the earliest they usually will be put up for sale? ...

Does anyone know when to expect the 2016 world championship ticket packages to be made available for purchase?

@Worlds2016 is starting to tease the launch of the website.

Tickets will go on sale during Fall 2014, per @HashtagJimmy (in charge of social media for @Worlds2016).

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What was the reason Canada didn't send any ladies skaters to the Nagano Olympics? Did they not qualify for even one entry?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What was the reason Canada didn't send any ladies skaters to the Nagano Olympics? Did they not qualify for even one entry?

Well a quick glance at the 1997 World Championships shows that the only Lady they sent had to withdraw so they may not have qualified for an entry. Not sure exactly what is done in that type of situation in terms of getting a spot back. I am not sure what is/was needed for a single spot.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well a quick glance at the 1997 World Championships shows that the only Lady they sent had to withdraw so they may not have qualified for an entry. Not sure exactly what is done in that type of situation in terms of getting a spot back. I am not sure what is/was needed for a single spot.
WD counts as "skater didn't make it to the free skate" under the rules at the time. I assume Canada didn't end up qualifying any skaters due to that rule.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmm, makes sense. This leads me to another question: why hasn't Canada been able to produce any champion ladies skaters? Sure there were Joannie and Liz with podium finishes at Olympic and world competition, but no world or Olympic champions since Barbara ann Scott... Is there a theory to explain why this is? The years between Calgarys Olympics and vancouvers Olympics were just so ughh for Canadian women: Josee: I never liked her, Jennifer Robinson: I'm definitely not a fan, I remember thinking back to watching her in Salt Lake City and thinking "this is the best Canada can do?" ... To me, although she was older than the average senior level women's competitor, her skating never really looked like a senior level women's competitor, her artistry and technique was comparable to that of a junior or even movie skater. Blah. And Don't get me started on Lesley hawker, Cynthia, and especially mira Leung, bleccch. Though from browsing the archive I see that dead horse has been beaten to death one too many times. :laugh:

firal

Record Breaker
Looking forward to my first live GP season here are my two stupid questions:

1) For those days when you plan to be at the rink pretty much all day(from mid-morning to after dinner hour), what do you do about eating? I assume most rinks prohibit outside food and checs bags when you enter, so does that means we are left with expensive hot dog and pizza?

2) For competitions that only have all-day tickets available(no single event ones), I think it is reasonable some people who bought the tickets would only want to see certain events(ex.men's, pairs, etc.), and only enter the rink around that time. Is that quite common? Is so, for someone like me, who wants to see the whole thing but do not have great seats, can I move up a few rows during those empty times? Stealthily? ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You are limited to what food there is available in the rink..& sometimes it is hotdogs and pizza, but sometimes there is a broader selection of food available.

Again, whether you can move up or not depends on how stringently seating is enforced by the venue..some do and some don't.