Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 43 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Meoima

Match Penalty
Did Miko Ando ever get married?
No I suppose. She curently lives as a single mom. I don't know much about her but I have her Instagram on my following list (as well as many other skaters).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What the heck is a BingBot Spider and why is there always a bunch of them online viewing threads?

As Krunchii says, a bingbot spider is a robotic web crawler that gathers information for the Bing search engine. We also have a bunch of Google spiders. They can get annoying because too many of them can slow a site down, but they are tolerated by GS because that way we jump up to the top of the list when when people search on Bing or Google for skating topics.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I googled Sam-Skwantch and clicked images and instead of finding pictures of Sasquatch which is the joke behind my screen name I found a ton of pictures of my favorite skater. This one was my favorite.

http://cs540109.vk.me/c540102/v540102095/35107/wwji0emTrRk.jpg

I guess this is thanks to the bing bong bots :laugh:

Another really stupid question: Can I change my screen name to BingBongBot? Please.

Barb

Record Breaker
Question:

is possible that some non-Russian skater can go to train with Eteri? her students are so good, it is almost irreal

Icey

Record Breaker
So I googled Sam-Skwantch and clicked images and instead of finding pictures of Sasquatch which is the joke behind my screen name I found a ton of pictures of my favorite skater. This one was my favorite.

http://cs540109.vk.me/c540102/v540102095/35107/wwji0emTrRk.jpg

I guess this is thanks to the bing bong bots :laugh:

Another really stupid question: Can I change my screen name to BingBongBot? Please.

The cat looks like it is trying to copy Julia's Ina Bauer. :laugh:

MalAssada

Medalist
Question:

is possible that some non-Russian skater can go to train with Eteri? her students are so good, it is almost irreal

I'm not sure (is Eteri an international coach?), but I think her students are already good before skating with her, since she takes them at such a young age and with her current status because of Yulia, I'm sure Eteri can hand pick new students, but I do wonder if she is picking more - so many skaters are already coached by her!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The cat looks like it is trying to copy Julia's Ina Bauer. :laugh:

I was about to post the same thing but dang it all, Icey, you beat me to it. :biggrin: It's hysterical the way the cat's "pose" mirrors Julia's! Wonder if she's seen the pic. If she has, hope she enjoyed it -- her flexibility really does have a cat-like quality. :bow:

gourry

Final Flight
I recently realized that there was no grand prix series before 1995 or something.
So I guess there was no junior grand prix as well.
Then other than Junior Worlds, for juniors what kind of competitions were there before?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I recently realized that there was no grand prix series before 1995 or something.
So I guess there was no junior grand prix as well.
Then other than Junior Worlds, for juniors what kind of competitions were there before?

The Junior Grand Prix started in 1997-98. The series competitions were in the late summer/early fall same as now, but for the first few years (while Junior Worlds was still in December) the final wasn't until March. I joked about how many juniors had outgrown their costumes and/or lost their jumps to growth spurts in the interim.

Some of the events that had historically been junior competitions before the start of the JGP were Blue Swords Trophy and Piruetten

Nebelhorn and St. Gervais together served as a series that tended to attract first-year seniors; at the beginning of the JGP St. Gervais became a junior event.

I'm not sure offhand but there may have been some other European events that either focused on juniors or offered several different skill levels, sort of like international club competitions.

gourry

Final Flight
**Really stupid question alert**

Okay, I was watching Yulia's Schindler's List program, and suddenly came to wonder.....
How do you think she wears her LP costume? (Hope this doesn't come across as perversive. I'm genuinely curious.)
Some costumes have wide neckline or back opening so you can just wear them like you wear swim suits. Some costumes have snap closures or hooks on the shoulders so you can wear them. Some costumes have zippers on the back, so you can wear them.
Now, Yulia's red coat LP costume doesn't seem to have any of them to me. And I'm pretty sure the front is just beaded mock opening.
Then how is it wearable??

By the way I think this costume is wonderful. And since I can't figure out how to wear this, it looks even mysterious. :p

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
**Really stupid question alert**

Okay, I was watching Yulia's Schindler's List program, and suddenly came to wonder.....
How do you think she wears her LP costume? (Hope this doesn't come across as perversive. I'm genuinely curious.)
Some costumes have wide neckline or back opening so you can just wear them like you wear swim suits. Some costumes have snap closures or hooks on the shoulders so you can wear them. Some costumes have zippers on the back, so you can wear them.
Now, Yulia's red coat LP costume doesn't seem to have any of them to me. And I'm pretty sure the front is just beaded mock opening.
Then how is it wearable??

By the way I think this costume is wonderful. And since I can't figure out how to wear this, it looks even mysterious. :p

I don't think that is stupid or weird, I think it is a great question. Looking at the pics I think one possibility might be a zipper, or snaps, or some kind of a closure hiding behind the beading at the top that runs from the collar on one side and slightly downward at an angle across her chest. That would work at least I think it could.

gourry

Final Flight
I don't think that is stupid or weird, I think it is a great question. Looking at the pics I think one possibility might be a zipper, or snaps, or some kind of a closure hiding behind the beading at the top that runs from the collar on one side and slightly downward at an angle across her chest. That would work at least I think it could.

There is no sign of closures elsewhere, so that's gotta be it, right? Although it doesn't show any bunching that usually happens around zippers or snaps. Whoever made this costume did an excellent job!

kinoriH

Final Flight
Love this thread. I think I might have the stupidest question of all, but it's really been bugging me for a while..

what do female skaters do when they have their periods during competitions?
Are they allowed to take pills to prevent it? Their dresses are pretty revealing so I guess the other option is kinda complicated... :think:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I have wondered the same thing kinoriH! Especially when they have a white outfit for the season- even with heavy duty protection I would never ever wear light-colored skirts, pants, or a dress on my period :laugh: Way too big of a risk. There are birth control medications that I know can make you only have a few periods a year (as little as 3 or 4) but even then there can be bleeding in-between cycles. I have no idea how they do it.