Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

TMC

Record Breaker
Figure Skating Videos (also forum).

I'd love to register but clicking on "register account" makes nothing happen.

Does anyone know how to create an account there?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

usethis2

Medalist
How is a jump judged if the free foot barely touches the ice? Skaters bend the knee of landing leg while swinging the free leg, and sometimes I see the free leg getting dangerously close to the ice. I suppose it happens sometimes? (free-foot touching the ice) It is definitely not the same as two-foot landing, but I am curious whether there is any penalty for that under current rules.

Helix

Rinkside
If it makes the jump look wobbly you would give -1 but if it doesn't change the jump it would stay base value.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Not sure how his BV points actually stack up... but you could say Kevin Reynolds is the most "ambitious" in one sense.

2 quads in his SP, and 3 quads in his FS...!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks Sequinsgalore and Yesway. I was wondering about Kevin...I noticed that though he had a Mind-boggling 3 Quad FP, he also seemed to do a lot of doubles in his program. Was that planned or did he pop them?

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Thanks Sequinsgalore and Yesway. I was wondering about Kevin...I noticed that though he had a Mind-boggling 3 Quad FP, he also seemed to do a lot of doubles in his program. Was that planned or did he pop them?

He did sometimes double some of them. His planned FS program was:

4S
4T+3T+2Lo
3A
4T*
2A*
3F+3Lo*
3Lz*
3S+2T*

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
is it possible for women to land jumps strongly
I've noticed some have fast rotation, but the landing is wobbly
they often try to balance at land and their body is kind of stiff while they try to balance
even mao
midori seems to land better sometimes...
in comparison
and seem to keep their upper body in a nice position and land more solidly

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
is it possible for women to land jumps strongly
I've noticed some have fast rotation, but the landing is wobbly
they often try to balance at land and their body is kind of stiff while they try to balance
even mao
midori seems to land better sometimes...
in comparison
and seem to keep their upper body in a nice position and land more solidly

Michelle Kwan used to have a lovely landing position w/ beautifully arched back and extended leg. If memory serves, Uncle Dick referred to it as "finishing" the move. I tend to agree that many skaters today (men as well as women) don't look as nearly as smooth on their landings.

Could this have to do w/ CoP -- as in, being in a hurry to get to the next element b/c you're focused on cramming as many point-laden moves as possible into a program & don't have time to draw out the landing? IDK...maybe that's just another stupid question but after all, this is a "stupid questions" thread, right? :biggrin:

usethis2

Medalist
I sometimes think it should be mandatory to hold the landing of a jump for at least 1 second (on the landing foot, of course). I don't like it when a landing is insecure and skaters hurry to the next stroke because they themselves are perhaps scared.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan used to have a lovely landing position w/ beautifully arched back and extended leg. If memory serves, Uncle Dick referred to it as "finishing" the move. I tend to agree that many skaters today (men as well as women) don't look as nearly as smooth on their landings.

Could this have to do w/ CoP -- as in, being in a hurry to get to the next element b/c you're focused on cramming as many point-laden moves as possible into a program & don't have time to draw out the landing? IDK...maybe that's just another stupid question but after all, this is a "stupid questions" thread, right? :biggrin:

Your right Michelle has nice landing

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
How exactly does "home ice advantage" work in competition, say at Olys or Worlds? If the judging panel is made up of individuals from multiple countries and the technical callers are also from different countries, it would seem to me that where the competition is physically held would not make a big difference in how skaters are scored, aside from the more enthusiastic crowd noise for skaters from the host country making their performances seem more impressive. Do the host country's reps put pressure on all the judges to favor their skaters more? Just wondering because I hear comments about "skating on hostile ice" and it's a little confusing...

MyAngel

Spectator
I'm unlurking because I need to ask a stupid question. I've been a casual figure skating fan for years now but only became interested in how things are being scored recently.

I'm wondering why I only saw one +3 in the DIY: Judging for Yuna's jumps. I always hear commentators say how perfect and flawless and textbook Yuna's jumps are so I expected her jump GOEs (except for the solo lutz) to be +3, or not lower than +2 at least. Are those commentators only exaggerating or something? I have to say, looking at it with my untrained eyes, Yuna's jumps are very beautiful, probably the best I've seen.