Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Three rivals from Japan born in 2001

Tripping on the Podium

Three rivals from Japan born in 2001

This is a thread dedicated to 3 talented ladies single skaters who were all born in the same year 2001

1. Marin Honda
    2. Wakaba Higuchi
    3. Yuna Aoki

All three of them are one of the most talented young skaters that Japan has ever had up until now in my opinion.
    They are all eligible for 2018 Olympics (they will be 16 then)

So, the rival battle is on!
    Who will be the queen of this battle?

Custom Title
    I'm hoping Japanese ladies to obtain three spots for the 2018 Olympics. Probablyit's up to Miyahara and Higuchi. Higuchi will be pushed for the task by the JSF from this year. She (and Miyahara) must be feeling the apparent pressure from Honda and Aoki. Marin has the best potentials but she needs to improve consistency. The chance for three spots in 2018 is higher than 50/50.

However, I feel sorry for Miyahara. We all know that she can't control her own destiny. If she couldn't prove the definite chance for an Olympic medal, she would be sacrificed for the "future". Doing pairs is one option. If she has the intention for that, the JSF will "arrange" a partner as a top priority.

Not sure but I am excited If those three can all earn spots to Pyeongchang that'll be interesting for sure. Three 16 years olds from Japan vying for one podium.

On the Ice
    All of them are primarily untested. They haven't gone through puberty monster and it's generally harder to keep your mentality strong once you get noticed. It will be interesting to see how the future unfolds for them.

Custom Title
    I don't see Japan keeping 3 spots for the Ladies at Worlds next year unless Murakami and Miyahara skate lights out and some of the other girls struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't see Japan keeping 3 spots for the Ladies at Worlds next year unless Murakami and Miyahara skate lights out and some of the other girls struggle.
    I agree unfortunately. But those three spots could certainly be earned back in the oncoming years. You can never count Japanese skaters out

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Murakami has been 5th at 2012 Worlds, 4th in 2013 and only the last season she messed up a bit and was 10th. But if she could return to her previous form and be again 4th-5th, I don't think it would be that hard for Miyahara to place 8th. Don't forget that there won't be Mao, Carolina, Yuna, Akiko...

Tripping on the Podium
    But those three will be debuting senior at 15 to gain 3 spots, so don't worry

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angelfacehanyu View Post
    But those three will be debuting senior at 15 to gain 3 spots, so don't worry
    I would love to see these girls being placed high on the podium, but I am not as optimistic as you. After all, I think it's better to not hype young skaters too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I would love to see these girls being placed high on the podium, but I am not as optimistic as you. After all, I think it's better to not hype young skaters too soon.
    Agree, they are so young

Rinkside
    2018-2019 will be an interesting season

PS: I couldn't find videos of Japanese Yuna. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bellflower View Post
    2018-2019 will be an interesting season

PS: I couldn't find videos of Japanese Yuna. Anyone?
    Here for you, her FS: http://fast-uploader.com/file/6963155601044/

Custom Title
    Well, USA was so envious of Russian success with their Polina's that they grew their own Polina. Now after Japan watching Yuna Kim's success, they grew their own Yuna. I think we should look seriously into searching for Yunas or Polinas in my country because we need it more than Japan and USA!

Rinkside
    Thank you Meoima. After watching it three times, here is what I think of Japanese Yuna (I'm new at this, so bear with me):

Nice jumps, at least the ones I could see the landing of, but her musicality should improve. I felt like I was watching a songless presentation and the music was added later

Quote Originally Posted by bellflower View Post
    Thank you Meoima. After watching it three times, here is what I think of Japanese Yuna (I'm new at this, so bear with me):

Nice jumps, at least the ones I could see the landing of, but her musicality should improve. I felt like I was watching a songless presentation and the music was added later
    Her SP was much better, but it was taken down for some reason.
    Personally I think Marin Honda is the more engaging performer.

But I hope Japanese media let these girls some gap to breath. From what I've gathered, they are still trying to find a new Mao. And it's not good for these young girls to try to live up to such expectation. I dislike their over-dramatic documentary about FS recently.

I've always recommended people not to overhype young skaters, especially when they are not over puberty yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast