Thread: Not a lot of pairs teams this season...

Not a lot of pairs teams this season...

I dont remember a time when every peair team qualified for the free skate of a european championships because there are less than 16 teams.

With 14 couples at europeans and 10 at four continents, we don't seem to have a large field.

Maybe in the mean time as pairs skating is recovering, the ISU could maybe lower the minimum tes a little bit...just a little. I m not asking for a massive drop, but see if we can get another team or 2 competing to juice up the field a tad.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    The IOC has a developmental program wherein athletes from some countries are allowed entry to the Games without meeting the qualifying standards. If you look at some of the very early preliminary rounds in swimming, for example, you see athletes from unusual countries with very non-competitive times.

The objective is to be more globally inclusive, providing Olympic inclusion, but also to develop and promote the Olympic ideal and brand.

You'd think the ISU could provide special exemptions to skaters, including pairs teams, from weaker nations for the purpose of exposure and development in those places. It really wouldn't hurt or diminish the other teams at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    The IOC has a developmental program wherein athletes from some countries are allowed entry to the Games without meeting the qualifying standards. If you look at some of the very early preliminary rounds in swimming, for example, you see athletes from unusual countries with very non-competitive times.

The objective is to be more globally inclusive, providing Olympic inclusion, but also to develop and promote the Olympic ideal and brand.

You'd think the ISU could provide special exemptions to skaters, including pairs teams, from weaker nations for the purpose of exposure and development in those places. It really wouldn't hurt or diminish the other teams at all.
    I agree. I know the ISU want to keep competitions at a high standard, however, the current pool of international pairs teams is small. There would be no harm in sending a team or two from a smaller skating nation, who might be just outside qualifying standards to gain entry at four continents or europeans- maybe worlds in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    I agree. I know the ISU want to keep competitions at a high standard, however, the current pool of international pairs teams is small. There would be no harm in sending a team or two from a smaller skating nation, who might be just outside qualifying standards to gain entry at four continents or europeans- maybe worlds in some cases.
    Yes I agree for 4CC and Euros definitely. Less sure about Worlds, but these small fields are sad. It wouldn't hurt anyone or anything to let a few more teams in there.

Custom Title
    If the French Association allows Bruno massot to start for German, there will be one more high class team.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadThrow View Post
    If the French Association allows Bruno massot to start for German, there will be one more high class team.

Custom Title
    I noticed this too. Small pool of pairs this season (ice dance has been doing better).

I don't think there's harm in sending some skaters from smaller federations. I also think it wouldn't hurt to, say, give China a fourth spot in 4CC so Yu/Jin can go, but I anticipate I'll get some "Don't wreck the smaller Feds!!" protests for saying this...

Quote Originally Posted by QuadThrow View Post

Tripping on the Podium
    Allow more than 3 spots for Canada, Russia and China!!