Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 103 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't really watch pairs....but is there a move in that discipline like this?

When that episode of BGT was on, everybody was amazed by their audition. Except me. All I could think was "But I've seen that sort of thing done before... with the added complication of it being on ice."

After seeing similar (actually, better!) routines done on ice, it is pretty boring seeing it done on a non-slippery surface. And even more so when the performance area is just a small circle, which is restricting what you can do. At least with a bigger area you have more freedom to do more things

That said, I can't complain about it too much... the sister is really fit!!! :love:

By the way, if you want to see more of Emily – I mean more of their skating – here is their Semi-Final routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJvw2WTtYw

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The initial move is called a Detroiter. It is illegal in competitive routines, as is the aptly named "headbanger," which is done later in the routine.

Both moves are frequent in show skating.

My favorite scary pair show move was "Fly High and Say Bye," originally developed by Brasseur and Eisler.

Here it is done by Ina & Zimmerman
https://youtu.be/ORP3lG2ie_k

Here's skaters doing the Detroiter
https://youtu.be/HkuhViEKHVo

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was just looking through my news feed on Facebook, and saw that one of my friends had "liked" a photo that Sofia Sforza had put up. The photo showed Sofia and another girl showing off their engagement rings.

I was kinda confused by it, so I decided to do a bit of investigating. And I quickly discovered that both Sofia and brother Leo-Luca are engaged. And that this other girl was Leo-Luca's fiancée.

But here's the twist. What is the name of Leo-Luca's fiancée?

Nicole Gosviani :shocked:

OK, so the transliteration of the name is different from what the ISU uses. But, all the info I could see on her profile looked about right! :agree:

But, from looking at various photos that Leo-Luca has posted on Instagram (I'm not posting the link, due to the address he has chosen!), I really can't make up my mind whether it is "our Nikol" or not. In some photos she does bear a resemblance, but in others not so much.

The problem is that we haven't seen Nikol competing for over a year, and she is at an age where that can make a difference. Plus, it is not unknown for skaters to look different off the ice to on it...! :laugh:

So, what do you think? Is it her?

Whether it is "our Nikol" or not, judging by the Instagram photos, they are totally and utterly in love! :love:

Which begs the question: After failing to spot Javi and Miki, have we somehow managed to miss spotting another skating relationship?! :eek:

I wish Leo-Luca and his fiancée, as well as Sofia and her fiancé, all the best for the future.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
Another language question... Is it correct to say "guys" about a pair, for example, (or any other mixed group of men and women)? Or does this word refer only to men?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yes, Nikol GOSVIANI is engaged to Leo Luca SFORZA.

https://instagram.com/leofuckinlove/

Yippee!!! So, my instinct was correct!!! :cheer:

And now everybody knows why I deliberately didn't include Leo-Luca's Instagram address in my previous message! :laugh: (I'm really surprised the word filter on GS didn't catch it!)

All the best to Nikol and Leo-Luca for their future happiness!

He's a very lucky fella! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

gkelly

Record Breaker
"Guys" can be used either to refer casually to a group of people in general or to male people specifically.

From Merriam-Webster http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guy:

3guy
noun

a : man, fellow
b : person —used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex <saw her and the rest of the guys>

Just yesterday at a test session I heard a coach say "Guys, it's time to get off the ice" (at the end of the warmup). Both the skaters she was talking to were girls.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Another language question... Is it correct to say "guys" about a pair, for example, (or any other mixed group of men and women)? Or does this word refers only to men?

Put it like this, I use the word "guys" all the time to refer to any group of people, whether they are all male, all female, or mixed.

A few people do use it strictly for all male groups, but most just use it for any group.

So, don't be afraid to using "guys" as a general term. It won't offend anybody.

CaroLiza_fan

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Id like to add that "guys" is very fine for any combination of genders, but it is a much more casual/friendly identifier.

Not a big thing, but might help non-native speakers understand it. It is very relaxed speech - which is likely part of why it is genderless.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Another language question... Is it correct to say "guys" about a pair, for example, (or any other mixed group of men and women)? Or does this word refers only to men?

Agree with others. In colloquial American English, it would be absolutely fine to use "guys" to refer to a group of any gender(s).

For example, if you were referring to Maia and Alex Shibutani, it would be perfectly OK to say, "These guys make YouTube videos in their spare time."
Or referring to Denis, Gracie, Daisuke M: "These guys all train together under Frank Carroll."

Referring to an all-female group as "guys" even sounds more natural to my ear than "gals."
For instance, referring to Ashley, Gracie, and Polina as a group:
"These guys have the advantage of experience from Sochi, but Karen, Mariah, and others also have their eyes on 2018."
Substituting "gals" in the same sentence would not sound as good, IMO (although it would not be incorrect).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for such detailed answers! You are a great help. :yes:

Caution: I should have added that context does matter.

If I had just witnessed a group of females shoplifting, for instance, it would be wrong for me to say to the cops:
"Some guys just grabbed some fancy sunglasses and walked out of the store."​
Also wrong if the shoplifters were a mixed group of males and females.

If I used "guys" in that context, the cops would (rightfully) assume that I meant all males.

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight

If I had just witnessed two females shoplifting, for instance, it would be wrong for me to say to the cops:
"Two guys just grabbed some fancy sunglasses and walked out of the store."​
If I used "guys" in that context, the cops would (rightfully) assume that I meant two males.[/INDENT]

I understand. So, it's right to say "guys" about girls only if it's known from the context that girls are meant (as in your example about Ashley, Gracie, and Polina) - or when mentioning the gender is just not relevant or important...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for such detailed answers! You are a great help. :yes:

Not a problem and keep them coming. I have a fascination with little nuances of language so I rather like questions like these.

If I had just witnessed a group of females shoplifting, for instance, it would be wrong for me to say to the cops:

If I used "guys" in that context, the cops would (rightfully) assume that I meant all males.

Excellent example that illustrates my point that it is a rather casual form of talking. Your explanation is much clearer than mine.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Not a problem and keep them coming. I have a fascination with little nuances of language so I rather like questions like these.

How strange, I just had a similar debate regarding this subject just a few days ago (elsewhere), and it is interesting how many people have varying opinions on what should/shouldn't be used.

Not to confuse borzaya and give them a complex over how to use gender specific terms in conversation, but my next question would be: what is the common/acceptable usage to address an individual and/or group of gender-specific people, in cases where you should call out the gender (like the shoplifting example) or situations that are formal/semi-formal where a casual "guys" would not be acceptable?

Of course, nearly all examples are situation-specific, as well as taking into account the approximate age of the individuals.

The shoplifting example involving two females: would this be, "Two females/girls/ladies/young ladies/women/females/gals took the sunglasses"?

How about a male waiter at a nice restaurant addressing a table of females: "Good evening, ladies/young ladies/girls/women/gals/females"?

How about a female addressing a female friend (or group of female friends) as: "Hey lady/ladies!"? How about a male doing the same thing?

What is the proper way for a male to refer to a female acquaintance (other than directly by name): "That girl/gal/lady/young lady/woman/female over there helped me set up these decorations."

I think I prefer the neutral, "Hello, humans." :laugh:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I understand. So, it's right to say "guys" about girls only if it's known from the context that girls are meant (as in your example about Ashley, Gracie, and Polina) - or when mentioning the gender is just not relevant or important...

Re my highlighting in your post:
The truth is that I would not have been able to explain the reason, but I think you are right :).

How strange, I just had a similar debate regarding this subject just a few days ago (elsewhere), and it is interesting how many people have varying opinions on what should/shouldn't be used.

Not to confuse borzaya and give them a complex over how to use gender specific terms in conversation, but my next question would be: what is the common/acceptable usage to address an individual and/or group of gender-specific people, in cases where you should call out the gender (like the shoplifting example) or situations that are formal/semi-formal where a casual "guys" would not be acceptable?

Of course, nearly all examples are situation-specific, as well as taking into account the approximate age of the individuals.

The shoplifting example involving two females: would this be, "Two females/girls/ladies/young ladies/women/females/gals took the sunglasses"?

How about a male waiter at a nice restaurant addressing a table of females: "Good evening, ladies/young ladies/girls/women/gals/females"?

How about a female addressing a female friend (or group of female friends) as: "Hey lady/ladies!"? How a...bout a male doing the same thing?

What is the proper way for a male to refer to a female acquaintance (other than directly by name): "That girl/gal/lady/young lady/woman/female over there helped me set up these decorations."

I think I prefer the neutral, "Hello, humans." :laugh:

I like your "humans" idea.

Just my two cents, but "gals" generally does not work in this day and age -- except in an ironic sense, IMO.

If a group of male adults are having a social get-together (without any females), it is a "boys' night" or "guys' night."

But if a group of female adults are having a social get-together (without any males), it is a "girls' night." And not a "gals' night," unless someone is intentionally trying to make an awkward reference in fun.

Then the policewoman would tell you, "Thanks for the eyewitness report, Dude."

This, by the way, is the real and original "Guy" (Guy Fawkes mask):

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/262/f/9/Guy_Fawkes_Mask_by_kat_lisa.jpg

A "guy" is one of those dummies that British people burn in effigy of the unsuccessful rebel who stirred up trouble in the religious wars of the early 17th century. :)

Last edited: