Page 32 of 70 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateforever View Post
    I'm curious, what is the general opinion of skaters who copy costumes/music/choreography? I saw one dance team on the JGP circuit copied quite a bit from various other teams, and I didn't know what to think of it.
    Mostly, it doesn't bother me, because there is very little in ice dance choreo, other than unique transitions, that's unique. Teams check off boxes like ordering from a Chinese menu - 1 from column A, 2 from column B, and so forth.

There are two exceptions
    1. Lifts, especially change of position lifts. Because the positions do not have to be certified as "difficult" according to the rule book, these lifts can be very creative. However, few of them are. It would bother me a bit if the following lifts were copied, especially since they were particularly expressive of the programs of which they were a part, and they were so very memorable.
    V&M's Carmen lift where she flips into an intermediate position where's she's sitting on his shoulders
    V&M's goose lift
    D&W's first lift in Scheherazade where she enters from a shoot the duck and ends up going over his back
    D&W's lift where he is in a back arebesque and she is hanging off his leg by her knee in Samson & Delilah
    P&B's unique version of a shoulder stand lift
    Kriengkrairut&Guiletti-Schmitts guillotine lift
    K&G-S's lift where he's in a Shoot the Duck and he picks her up with his free leg. Doesn't look possible.

2. Unique spins. There have been so few.
    D&W's spin in their Tango FD, where she is facing upward
    D&W's spin in Samson & Delilah, which had a swooping back entry

What does bother me a bit is teams that use the exact same music cuts as other teams, since that is something they can easily avoid doing.

Costumes are expensive. It is not unusual for junior teams to borrow costumes from senior teams to save the expense of new costumes. In fact in this season where the SD pattern dance is the paso doble, I wonder whether Jerrod Swallow's Paso jacket will come out of the moth balls again. At least four junior teams, including D&W, and I think also Chock & Zuerlein, borrowed that jacket So no, having the same costume doesn't bother me at all.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-30-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

Rinkside
    Yes, that makes sense. Thank you so much!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Do choreographers ever copyright their programs? I got curious b/c of a post in another thread re: copyright infringement/uploads to YouTube.
    There is choreography copyright protection, but I would guess most figure skating choreographers don't go there.

http://www2.danceusa.org/ejournal/po...d-and-the-fair

My stupid questions:

Is this the only stupid questions thread or is there another one for non-FS-related stupid questions?

If there isn't would the appropriate action be to

a) ask a way OT stupid question in this thread or
    b) start a brand new thread for all stupid questions not related to FS?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    A non figure skating stupid questions thread would go in the Le Cafe forum. If there's any thread you'd like to start, please start one! We love new threads.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    A non figure skating stupid questions thread would go in the Le Cafe forum. If there's any thread you'd like to start, please start one! We love new threads.
    Thanks! Will do

This is indeed a very stupid question, but have any figure skaters ever released a celebrity perfume?

I have my reasons for asking....

Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    This is indeed a very stupid question, but have any figure skaters ever released a celebrity perfume?

Glacier Ice by Evgeni Plushenko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqU23iNTXY

Custom Title
    Gordeeva's Katia fragrance

Although she never reached the top, Vera Wang, of course, has a perfume, among other things.

The UK's Suzanne Shaw, winner of series 3 of Dancing on Ice, launched her debut fragrance, Ice:

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    Glacier Ice by Evgeni Plushenko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqU23iNTXY

Oh well… I suppose I would also do this for some money

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar

...and those reasons would be...??????????

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    ...and those reasons would be...??????????
    haha, I collect perfume. Usually it is more high end stuff, not celebrity perfume, but for a figure skater, I might just make an exception....

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    haha, I collect perfume. Usually it is more high end stuff, not celebrity perfume, but for a figure skater, I might just make an exception....
    Ahaaaaa... one more item for the "Obsessed w/ Figure Skating" thread?

Rinkside
    Hi

I didn't want to start a thread just in case there was one already.
    I am curious to hear what people think of Hanyu's new Short Programme, has anyone already started a discussion on this forum already? If so please direct me to it!

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Try this thread....

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...939#post955939

^Its his fan page and people love discussing him there. Join in on the fun.

Or

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-by-Discipline

^ It's a thread that is designed to discuss new programs but for all skaters

Page 32 of 70 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast