Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow63 View Post
    ... Yes, it does.
    Благодарю вас, Сергей.

Custom Title
    Ok this is my silly question, for anyoone who was following skating during that time:

Why did RUS only had 2 entries in Men for the Nagano Olympics?.

1997 Worlds results were Yagudin 3rd and Kulik 5th. 3+5 = 8 so three should go next year. Don't know when did the "13" rule started to apply but I understand previously to that it was three spots for a country that medals and Yagudin took bronze, so what gives???

Thanks in Advance

Custom Title
    IIRC, it's because Urmanov withdrew with injury during 1997 Worlds. Under the (ridiculous) rules at the time, his withdraw counted as "skater didn't make it to the free skate." They counted it as Russia having three skaters at those Worlds, with one of them doing so terribly they lost a spot at the Olympics. That, of course, is not the reality, but that's what the rulebook counted it as.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Ok this is my silly question, for anyoone who was following skating during that time:

Why did RUS only had 2 entries in Men for the Nagano Olympics?.

1997 Worlds results were Yagudin 3rd and Kulik 5th. 3+5 = 8 so three should go next year. Don't know when did the "13" rule started to apply but I understand previously to that it was three spots for a country that medals and Yagudin took bronze, so what gives???
    Prior to 1997-98, slots for the following year were determined by the highest finish the previous year.

In 1997, the new system for determining slots took into account all entered skaters' results.

Russia had three entries at 1997 Worlds. Alexei Urmanov withdrew before the freeskate, which gave him 18(?) points, along with 3+5 for Yagudin and Kulik. That total entitled Russia to two spots for 1998 Olympics and Worlds.

After that occurrence specifically -- injury withdrawal by the reigning Olympic champion and winner of the short program at 1997 Worlds costing the strongest men's team at the time a spot at the next year's Olympics -- the rules were changed for 1999 and following to take into account only the top 2 entries in a team of 3, and not to give points(?) to skaters who withdraw midcompetition. IIRC the total for 2 skaters was also changed from 23 to 28(?) to keep 2 slots for the following year.

Custom Title
    Thanks a lot Gkelly and Sandpiper! That was bugging me for a while..

And damn that Urmi withdrawal was reaaally unfortunate for him. NOt only did it cost him a World title (he rocked the SP!) but also a place on the olympics. such a shame

Custom Title
    Yeah, it was really unfortunate, what happened to Urmanov. That was his best chance to win a World title, with Elvis Stojko placing fourth after the SP. How sad that he competed for many years even after winning Olympic gold (which I respect), but never got on the Worlds podium again.

Custom Title
    Well, he reinjured himself during the off season and ended up not competing at all again until more than a year later at Goodwill Games in summer 1998.

So if there had been a third men's spot available for Russia, it would have gone to Plushenko or possibly Abt.

All of which was even more unfortunate for Urmanov.

Custom Title
    Yeah, third spot in Nagano couldn't have gone to him anyway (I'm guessing, even with two spots, they would've given Yagudin's spot to Urmanov had he been fit to compete). I speak more about how he never won Worlds, which was really a shame. At his best, he actually had the technical arsenal to compete with Stojko and Kulik.

On the Ice
    Stupid qestion? But I'm perplexed as to why this season's Scale of Value still list base points for single jumps on their charts when they've revised the rules so that 'Jumps with less than 1.5 revs in both Short and Free programs of Seniors/Juniors will have no value'. Are the base values remaining for the sake of Novices and under?

On the Ice
    Another stupid question.
    Obviously there's no reason (and even risky) for ice dancers to even attempt jumps elements, but I'm wondering if they can do them if they tried, maybe even do them just for fun during practices. If so, has anyone ever seen any of them do them? (just thinking how awesome it'll be to see someone like Meryl or Charlie do a loop, an Axel or others)

Quote Originally Posted by aims View Post
    Another stupid question.
    Obviously there's no reason (and even risky) for ice dancers to even attempt jumps elements, but I'm wondering if they can do them if they tried, maybe even do them just for fun during practices. If so, has anyone ever seen any of them do them? (just thinking how awesome it'll be to see someone like Meryl or Charlie do a loop, an Axel or others)
    Many ice dancers actually started out as single skaters, so they've done just some jumping.

Charlie White did both singles and ice dance until the 2005-2006 season (That was the year he and Meryl won Nationals at the junior level and the bronze medal at Junior Worlds). Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6f3ow-4au8

Another example is Vanessa Crone. I think after she ended her partnership with Paul Portier she competed as a singles skater.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 07-06-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aims View Post
    Another stupid question.
    Yes, as an example, I recall a video of Scott Moir jumping ... I think he was just having fun at practice for the closing gala of a competition, with his friend Patrick Chan nearby. Sorry, I do not remember for which event and do not have a link to the video.
    IIRC, Virtue and Moir both have performed jumps for a show as well. Again, don't remember details --maybe CSOI??? -- and do not have a link.

On the Ice
    Wow, thank you Mrs. P for the link and the quick response! Just like I thought, awesome to see Charlie jumping !!

On the Ice
    Thank you, also, to golden411 for the quick response! Now Scott and Tessa jumping is also something I'd love to see.
    I suppose it makes sense that ice dancers with their superb skating skills can do jumps if they try.

Lifelong Adam Fan KwanIsALegend's Avatar
    I think this question may not be ok to ask on this forum and if it is delete away and I apologize. But I am just so curious ...... are Tara and Evan a couple?
    http://instagram.com/p/qVWWFXMoi3/

Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 84 ... LastLast