Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I'll give someone 12 bazillion dollars if you can tell me who Johnny Weir is skating with when he skates with a Russian pairs couple? I can't find the video on You Tube to save my life because I don't know the names of the pairs couple and I am trying to show it to my friend.
It was a show somewhere and Johnny skated with a pairs team from Russia.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'll give someone 12 bazillion dollars if you can tell me who Johnny Weir is skating with when he skates with a Russian pairs couple? I can't find the video on You Tube to save my life because I don't know the names of the pairs couple and I am trying to show it to my friend.
It was a show somewhere and Johnny skated with a pairs team from Russia.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

It's Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov, retired ice dancers turned choreographers. Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0_DeGtmLg

How do I collect my 12 bazillion dollars? :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Under 6.0, if a skater landed a jump in the SP but crashed into the boards and fell (like Patrick Chan's infamous incident), what would that be counted as? Would it be called a fall on a jump and get the 0.3-4 deduction? Or would it be something like Sale/Pelletier's final pose fall in the SLC SP--no mandatory deductions, but it interrupts the performance and will be reflected in both marks at the discretion of each judge?

Ultra

Rinkside
What frames-per-second are the replay cameras used by the tech crew?

How many cameras are there, and do the callers watch all angles at once or do they have to ask for each angle?

Are the clips archived permanently somewhere, or are they overwritten after each skater?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A very, very good question. I hope someone knows the answer, Ultra.

Welcome to Golden Skate!

gkelly

Record Breaker
As far as I know there is only one official camera angle for the technical panel. Any other angles from TV cameras are not used officially.

I have no idea about frames per second or archiving.

Meoima

Match Penalty
As far as I know there is only one official camera angle for the technical panel. Any other angles from TV cameras are not used officially.
I have no idea about frames per second or archiving.
I am sorry to ask this, but if there is only one camera angle for the tech panel, then if they have a wrong call due to that particular angel, or they can't see it clearly enough, then can they ask for the help from other TV cameras? or the rules are against it?

Helix

Rinkside
What frames-per-second are the replay cameras used by the tech crew?

How many cameras are there, and do the callers watch all angles at once or do they have to ask for each angle?

Are the clips archived permanently somewhere, or are they overwritten after each skater?

I do not know the frames per second, but only one camera angle (designated to tech panel) used as it is connected to the IJS computer system. The video replay operator cuts the video into the individual elements so the tech panel and judges can for example can replay that 3Lz to see if there is an edge (judges have real time and tech panel can slow down the video). The video is cut as the skater is skating not at the end of the program

I am sorry to ask this, but if there is only one camera angle for the tech panel, then if they have a wrong call due to that particular angel, or they can't see it clearly enough, then can they ask for the help from other TV cameras? or the rules are against it?

Even if they were allowed to do that, it wouldn't be possible, the video camera is get up with the IJS system so the judges and tech can see the video on their screen as the skater is skating. When setting up the IJS it is not as simple as unplugging one camera and plugging in another.

Icey

Record Breaker
Are there any coaches these days who can actually teach school figures? The only one I know for sure is Machida's coach.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Any singles coach who was already coaching by 1990. So probably most of those over age 50.
And, yes, many who trained to a fairly high level of figures themselves and are analytical about technique.

the

Spectator
Many of the older coaches do teach figures to help with control. There are still competitions with school figures as well.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Alright, I have one. Why are sparkley costumes almost an unspoken necessity in figure skating? Don't get me wrong, I love the sparkles, I just don't understand why 99% of outfits have them.
I used to assume it was what gave the outfits drama, but now I realize most of them would be dramatic enough without them. Is there even a reason? :scratch:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Sequins/sparkles were first used in ice shows as part of show business
http://content.answcdn.com/main/content/img/getty/8/5/3271585.jpg

They started to become popular in competition in the 1970s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoTThJc4W9g

Some conservative judges at the time thought that style was too flashy/theatrical for sport, but many skaters liked them and this kind of ornamentation, stones as well as sequens, became even more popular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_cSCm115U

My theories:

Ice sparkles, especially under bright lights, so skaters wanted to make sure that eyes would be drawn to them and not to the ice

Sparkly images remind viewers of fantastical winter wonderlands/fairylands, appropriate for the magical/fantastical kinds of movements skaters can perform on ice and also many popular ballets whose music and themes many skaters choose to interpret

Sparkles on clothing are reminiscent of jewels, suggesting dressing up for a formal special occasion

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Here's a stupid question: why is Korpi not in any of the GP events? :think: