Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

concorde

Medalist
Years ago I was on the same flight as a concert celloist. He purchased two seats side-by-side - one for him and one for his cello.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So here is a stupid question:slink:

Are skaters allowed to use the sound of skating in their music? I have been working on a musical arrangement and I just finished recording my friends at the rink so I could overdub the sounds of spins and deep edges. I've incorporated it into my song. Are skaters allowed to use music that includes the sound of let's just say a spin? If they matched it up it could add extra effect. If they miss it will be quite odd I would say so there is definite risk. If in fact my friend uses my song in a competition could she be penalized for breaking a "sound barrier" [x2 :slink:] rule of some sorts.

This seems to be by far my stupidest question yet. I'm sure more will come to me.

gkelly

Record Breaker
No, there's no rule against it. No mandatory deductions. If the judges don't like the way the skater uses the music (or "music," as the case may be), they'll reflect that in the program component marks.

You have to be careful, though. Edges are the quieter the better the skater. :)

In Michelle Kwan's The Feeling Begins short program, the music falls to a whisper at the end, below the threshold of hearing for most in the noisy arena, and it always looked like she finished behind her music -- and in fact she did get a music violation at 2004 worlds.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It wasn't a "music" violation -- it was a time violation. She was still moving more than 2:40 after she started moving. The time limit for the short program was 2:40 maximum (it has since been raised to 2:50 max).

It wasn't a "music" violation -- it was a time violation. She was still moving more than 2:40 after she started moving. The time limit for the short program was 2:40 maximum (it has since been raised to 2:50 max).

Even so, I think the difficulty that I mentioned played a role. Michelle's performance at U.S. Nationals was just as long as it was at worlds and perhaps deserved a deduction there as well. I can imagine that the fact that she was still moving long after the music seemed to have ended might have invited extra scrutiny by the referee and time keeper.

On another but related note, is is OK for the music to contain an applause track? You could time it so that after every highlight element the soundtrack gasps in delight and then bursts into raucous cheering. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Isn't that cheating? (the applause track) Also, I think it's a terrible idea--what if you fall? You'll just look like a fool, having your soundtrack applaud you after a fall. There are a few 6.0 skaters who might be able to pull it off, but it's the last thing I'd recommend for a COP skater.

RE: The Feeling Begins. I still think it was the best SP of Worlds 2004. Screw their stupid time deductions.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
So here is a stupid question:slink:

Are skaters allowed to use the sound of skating in their music? I have been working on a musical arrangement and I just finished recording my friends at the rink so I could overdub the sounds of spins and deep edges. I've incorporated it into my song. Are skaters allowed to use music that includes the sound of let's just say a spin? If they matched it up it could add extra effect. If they miss it will be quite odd I would say so there is definite risk. If in fact my friend uses my song in a competition could she be penalized for breaking a "sound barrier" [x2 :slink:] rule of some sorts.

This seems to be by far my stupidest question yet. I'm sure more will come to me.

Instead of a competition piece, maybe your friend could use the arrangement as an exhibition?

The question also got me thinking about John Cage, most notably his "silent" piece called 4'33". I've never pretended to understand his aesthetic, but the piece is supposed to get the audience to tune into the sounds of the environment in the hall where it's being performed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4&feature=kp

The thing that cracks me up relative to skating is that the time period of 4'33" is almost perfect for an LP. And if you lopped 3" off the piece, who would be the wiser? :) OTOH, it would create some interesting choreographic challenges... :slink:

emily_sk8xx

Rinkside
This definitely isn't the right thread for this, but I didn't want to create a new one...so...I met Kyoko Ina today and I had an actual lesson with her! I still don't think it has sank in that I talked to an actual World medalist and Olympian...

This definitely isn't the right thread for this, but I didn't want to create a new one...so...I met Kyoko Ina today and I had an actual lesson with her! I still don't think it has sank in that I talked to an actual World medalist and Olympian...

Wow! :rock: :party2:

titatovenaar

Rinkside
I have a question, it may or may not be stupid :unsure: but I simply don't know much about figure skating or it's history

Has a brother and sister pairing ever won a ogm in either ice dancing or pairs?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Pairs

You might think the Jacobsson's of Finland were siblings, but they were husband and wife. Similarly, the Brunet's and Syers were married couples.

Siblings have won silver medals-for example the Duchesnay's in dance, and the Carruthers' in pairs, but I can't find any golds.

The Duchesnays are the only sibling dance medalists, of any color medal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Ice_dancing

titatovenaar

Rinkside
No

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Pairs

You might think the Jacobsson's of Finland were siblings, but they were husband and wife. Similarly, the Brunet's and Syers were married couples.

Siblings have won silver medals-for example the Duchesnay's in dance, and the Carruthers' in pairs, but I can't find any golds.

The Duchesnays are the only sibling dance medalists, of any color medal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Ice_dancing

Thank you for you answer. I guess being siblings limits the roles that can be played on the ice and I was wondering if despite this disadvantage some pair had succeeded at the highest level. Not very encouraging for the shibutani's :(

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Question: What was the limit for number of jump combinations in the LP during the 6.0 era? Was it three, like it is now? Or were there no limits?

I was watching Kurt Browning's 1991 Worlds-winning skate, and I realized he did four jump combinations (in addition to three triple toe-loops)... and he won over 2 triple axel Viktor Petrenko. Kurt did more technically, but if he won while violating the Zayak rule twice, that does seem awfully unfair to Viktor...

makaihime

Final Flight
Question: What was the limit for number of jump combinations in the LP during the 6.0 era? Was it three, like it is now? Or were there no limits?

I was watching Kurt Browning's 1991 Worlds-winning skate, and I realized he did four jump combinations (in addition to three triple toe-loops)... and he won over 2 triple axel Viktor Petrenko. Kurt did more technically, but if he won while violating the Zayak rule twice, that does seem awfully unfair to Viktor...

I don't believe there was a jumping pass limit then and zayak under 6.0 only deducts 0.1, same as a fall. But unlike a fall, zayaking doesn't affect your presentation scores. So unless Kurt got some 6.0's on his technical mark, the judges probably (hopefully) applied that rule.

Question :biggrin: : Do judges actually deduct points/punish skaters for wearing things like feathers on their costume? I know that they can if it actually falls off onto the ice but will they punish the skater simply for including it in their costume because its considered excessive?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I believe that originally there were no limits on combinations -- as of the early 90s, there was supposed to be at least one combination or sequence, and triple jumps that were repeated had to be in combo or sequence at least one of the times (Zayak rule).

Some time in the mid-90s -- either the 1994 or 96 ISU Congress, I guess; can't remember exactly -- they put a limit three combos or sequences maximum. My understanding was they wanted to make sure skaters showed some solo jumps which were more likely to show some good landings.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ns

Question : Do judges actually deduct points/punish skaters for wearing things like feathers on their costume? I know that they can if it actually falls off onto the ice but will they punish the skater simply for including it in their costume because its considered excessive?

Sure. Why not. It would show up in your Presentation and even Interpretation scores. I wouldn't want to give the judges any ammo to make any close judgement calls fall out of my favor.

Conversely maybe the some judges prefer a bit of flair and would prefer it. It is figure skating after all. I say just be who you are. Hard to go wrong that way. Regardless of what any score says. :)