Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

tulosai

Record Breaker
Here's a stupid question: why is Korpi not in any of the GP events? :think:

She is not eligible under the current criteria. She didn't compete last year so was not on the SB list and is also not on the top ranked skaters list (well, she is, but she is number 50). She also doesn't fit in the 'comeback' skaters criterion. To qualify for that, you need at some point to have finished top 6 at the World Championships. She never has. There is a small chance that if skaters start dropping out, she might get one assignment based on being ranked 50th in the rankings due to the very depleted field, but I don't think her chances are that good.

This is one circumstance where IMO the 'rules' get it wrong as I do thinks he should have a spot, but once you know the selection criteria it is clear why she doesn't have one.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do choreographers ever copyright their programs? I got curious b/c of a post in another thread re: copyright infringement/uploads to YouTube.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do choreographers ever copyright their programs? I got curious b/c of a post in another thread re: copyright infringement/uploads to YouTube.

Don't know the answer to your question.

But if you are referring to video from the Broadmoor Open, I would think that Broadmoor SC and/or the vendor that BSC commissioned to sell the streaming has legal ownership of all video from the competition.
In other words, I am guessing that the Broadmoor issue is not related to the choreography of any particular skater.

(A separate issue -- big issue -- is music rights.)

Alisa

On the Ice
I'm curious, what is the general opinion of skaters who copy costumes/music/choreography? I saw one dance team on the JGP circuit copied quite a bit from various other teams, and I didn't know what to think of it.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Don't know the answer to your question.

But if you are referring to video from the Broadmoor Open, I would think that Broadmoor SC and/or the vendor that BSC commissioned to sell the streaming has legal ownership of all video from the competition.
In other words, I am guessing that the Broadmoor issue is not related to the choreography of any particular skater.

(A separate issue -- big issue -- is music rights.)

Yes, that's the post that made me think of it. I understand that the Broadmoor uploads aren't directly related to any particular choreography. It just made me wonder if programs (I guess specifically the layouts & steps) were ever copyrighted by choreographers. And you're right -- music rights are a whole other can of worms!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm curious, what is the general opinion of skaters who copy costumes/music/choreography? I saw one dance team on the JGP circuit copied quite a bit from various other teams, and I didn't know what to think of it.

Mostly, it doesn't bother me, because there is very little in ice dance choreo, other than unique transitions, that's unique. Teams check off boxes like ordering from a Chinese menu - 1 from column A, 2 from column B, and so forth.

There are two exceptions
1. Lifts, especially change of position lifts. Because the positions do not have to be certified as "difficult" according to the rule book, these lifts can be very creative. However, few of them are. It would bother me a bit if the following lifts were copied, especially since they were particularly expressive of the programs of which they were a part, and they were so very memorable.
V&M's Carmen lift where she flips into an intermediate position where's she's sitting on his shoulders
V&M's goose lift
D&W's first lift in Scheherazade where she enters from a shoot the duck and ends up going over his back
D&W's lift where he is in a back arebesque and she is hanging off his leg by her knee in Samson & Delilah
P&B's unique version of a shoulder stand lift
Kriengkrairut&Guiletti-Schmitts guillotine lift
K&G-S's lift where he's in a Shoot the Duck and he picks her up with his free leg. Doesn't look possible.

2. Unique spins. There have been so few.
D&W's spin in their Tango FD, where she is facing upward
D&W's spin in Samson & Delilah, which had a swooping back entry

What does bother me a bit is teams that use the exact same music cuts as other teams, since that is something they can easily avoid doing.

Costumes are expensive. It is not unusual for junior teams to borrow costumes from senior teams to save the expense of new costumes. In fact in this season where the SD pattern dance is the paso doble, I wonder whether Jerrod Swallow's Paso jacket will come out of the moth balls again. At least four junior teams, including D&W, and I think also Chock & Zuerlein, borrowed that jacket :laugh: So no, having the same costume doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
My stupid questions:

Is this the only stupid questions thread or is there another one for non-FS-related stupid questions?

If there isn't would the appropriate action be to

a) ask a way OT stupid question in this thread or
b) start a brand new thread for all stupid questions not related to FS?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A non figure skating stupid questions thread would go in the Le Cafe forum. If there's any thread you'd like to start, please start one! We love new threads.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
This is indeed a very stupid question, but have any figure skaters ever released a celebrity perfume?

I have my reasons for asking.... :eek::

Icey

Record Breaker
Gordeeva's Katia fragrance

Although she never reached the top, Vera Wang, of course, has a perfume, among other things.

The UK's Suzanne Shaw, winner of series 3 of Dancing on Ice, launched her debut fragrance, Ice:

frogonthelily

Rinkside
Hi

I didn't want to start a thread just in case there was one already.
I am curious to hear what people think of Hanyu's new Short Programme, has anyone already started a discussion on this forum already? If so please direct me to it!