Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

ManLady

On the Ice
is there a place where i can find scores from all fs events? couldn't find anything on isu site

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

ManLady

On the Ice
Here is a link to this forum that has every event from last year.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?398-2013-14-Figure-Skating-Competitions-and-Events

I've been able to google events and find the protocols by searching like this:

'World Championship Figure skating (insert year) Protocols.

But that always requires a search so if there is a giant archive....I'd like to know too. Most importantly I want to bookmark it.

Thanks. That's a good resource which I will use, but I was looking for the scorecards which show each judges points, even the trimmed scores. I found one for sochi ladies lp and thought it would be nice if there was a place which had them for all events. You think ISU would have this.

I figured it would help me learn to score things better to see the verbose scorecards instead of simply final scores

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait..,I'm confused. Are you looking for the protocols? This has the judges scores listed for each skater. Click the red 'Results' link for any event. It's divided by SP, LP, for Men,Ladies,Pairs, and Ice Dance. Then look to the right of any event for the judges scores. I think it says judges scores(PDF)

You get this.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/wc2014_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

If that isn't what you want I'm sorry but it is all the judges scores marked for PCS and GOE. Everything is totaled and factored on the right.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
is there a place where i can find scores from all fs events? couldn't find anything on isu site

Here is a link to this forum that has every event from last year.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?398-2013-14-Figure-Skating-Competitions-and-Events

I've been able to google events and find the protocols by searching like this:

'World Championship Figure skating (insert year) Protocols.

But that always requires a search so if there is a giant archive....I'd like to know too. Most importantly I want to bookmark it.

ManLady, "all FS events" is a tall order. I think the ISU site prob. does have many of the links that you want, if you take the trouble to click around. (Exceptions: it would not have links for Nats.)

Sam-Skwantch's GS link is a very good answer to your question.

In case another one would be helpful, you could try looking here:
http://www.skatetoday.com/category/latest-results/ (includes direct links to some Senior Bs as well as ISU competitions and some Nationals)​

ManLady

On the Ice
Wait..,I'm confused. Are you looking for the protocols? This has the judges scores listed for each skater. Click the red 'Results' link for any event. It's divided by SP, LP, for Men,Ladies,Pairs, and Ice Dance. Then look to the right of any event for the judges scores. I think it says judges scores(PDF)

You get this.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/wc2014_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

If that isn't what you want I'm sorry but it is all the judges scores marked for PCS and GOE. Everything is totaled and factored on the right.

oh, got you :) i didn't click the red 'results' link, just jumped into the thread. yes, that is exactly what i was looking for. awesome. thanks again

ice coverage

Record Breaker
still, funny isu doesn't have an interface for their isuresults.com ... ?

The figure skating results used to be easier to reach -- through the www.isu.org events list -- before the recent revamping of the ISU site.

I think at this point, if you start at www.isu.org, you have to click open an individual event page to reach the corresponding isuresults.com page.

Another way to save time is to use a search engine and limit the search to isuresults.com.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Very, very stupid and amateur question: do skaters get a bonus for linking harder jump combinations together?

IE; Prior to 2010, Yuna Kim had a 3F+3T, 3Z, and 2A short program. In 2010 (and beyond) she had a 3Z+3T, 3F, and 2A short program. I know the base value is the same since it's the same jumps, but are there any additional base marks for linking a more difficult jump combo?

Very, very stupid and amateur question: do skaters get a bonus for linking harder jump combinations together?

IE; Prior to 2010, Yuna Kim had a 3F+3T, 3Z, and 2A short program. In 2010 (and beyond) she had a 3Z+3T, 3F, and 2A short program. I know the base value is the same since it's the same jumps, but are there any additional base marks for linking a more difficult jump combo?

No, they get exactly the same number of points whether in combination or not. The question comes up a lot in the men's short program. Should you do 4T+3T and 3Lz out of steps, or 4T out of steps and 3Lz+3T for the combination? Same number of points.

The scoring system has been criticized on this point. Some people feel that a jump done in combination should get a bonus. Others think that you already get a "bonus" for a combination because it allows you to work more triple jumps into your program over all.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Follow-up stupid question on combinations: I always just assumed it was harder to do jumps in combination. Is that true?

If it is, what's the rationale for not giving some kind of bonus for combinations? I get that it allows the skater to work more triples into the program, but if doing the jump in combo is harder it seems like "degree of difficulty" should be rewarded.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^From what I understand, it's harder to do jumps in combination because you need maintain flow on the landing of the first jump to have enough speed for the second. If someone doubles/singles the second jump in their combo, it's usually because the landing of the first wasn't steady enough/didn't have enough flow out for the second jump. Someone with more technical expertise can correct me here.

No idea why combos aren't rewarded much in COP. They were plenty rewarded under 6.0, where doing a difficult combo was basically like doing a harder jump altogether.

I think the new Zayak rule about repeated double jumps is going to change the dynamics a little in favor of triple-triple combinations.

Suppose skater A goes

3Lz+3T
3F+2T+2T
2A+3T
3Lo
3S
3Lz
2A

That's 44.1 base value (before second half bonuses) for a program that features a hard triple-triple, a 2A+triple, and a 3F in a three-jump combination.

Last year Skater B could counter with a much easier

3Lz+2T
3F
3Lo
3S
3Lz
3T+2T
2A+2T+2T

totaling 39.2. Skater B is less than 5 points behind and can hope to make it up in PCS (she gains 4 points if she gets 8.75s to the other girl's 8.25s), plus skater A night drop some points in execution.

However, Skater B did 4 double toe loops. Unless she can upgrade at least to two double loops, she is in trouble without a triple-triple.

But Skater A's program is also at risk. If she doubles either of the triple toes she will lose Zayak points, too.

Last edited:

Brenda

On the Ice
Perhaps we'll see more 3?+1Lo+3S combos (or 2A+1Lo+3S) next season. A doubled 3S won't interfere with the skater doing two other +2T combos.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like 1L in any combos. Very few make it look good. I'm sorry. I started a thread on this topic and the only answer I liked was Mathman's. Far to often it looks like a mistake. Like Mathman said the skater needs to put it down as if "yeah...I meant to do that...see...and now here is a 3s". Otherwise for me :rolleye:

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't like 1L in any combos. Very few make it look good. I'm sorry. I started a thread on this topic and the only answer I liked was Mathman's. Far to often it looks like a mistake. Like Mathman said the skater needs to put it down as if "yeah...I meant to do that...see...and now here is a 3s". Otherwise for me :rolleye:

I AGREE. My first reaction is always that the skater has made a mistake!!!! lol