Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    From the landing edge of the axel she does a back three turn into a choreographed body position, mohawk to a brief catch-foot spiral, some toe-assisted turns, and then the butterfly entrance into the flying spin.

Yes, she has good flow on the landing edge of the axel. The moves afterward would be considered transitions -- adds some intricacy, judges would consider the quality and difficulty, and whether those moves add more variety to the other transition moves in the program. It would be up to each judge whether they think that turn and body position are connected enough to the axel itself to add to its GOE.

Ditto with the toe turns, which are not themselves very difficult. The butterfly into the spin is part of the actual element, the fly to the flying spin, and would be considered by the tech panel as a feature.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Thank you so much. I'm less stupid now albeit by just a little bit.

Custom Title
    That wasn't a stupid question. You needed some knowledge and understanding just to ask in the first place.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Is it even possible for skaters to stay centered on spins that have such complicated positions and so many changes of position? Are centered spins a lost art? Even the strongest spinners of today travel at times. Julia Lipnitskaya is the poster skater for this – amazing positions but SO MUCH TRAVELING!!! Not only that, but the commentators rarely mention centering/traveling at all anymore. Dick Button used to mention it all the time back in the day. Should I just accept the fact that spins can’t be centered anymore? I would assume that GOE is affected by traveling, but it’s incredibly hard to tell if it is or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    That wasn't a stupid question. You needed some knowledge and understanding just to ask in the first place.
    I agree- most of these questions are not stupid, at least not to me!

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Is it even possible for skaters to stay centered on spins that have such complicated positions and so many changes of position? Are centered spins a lost art? Even the strongest spinners of today travel at times. Julia Lipnitskaya is the poster skater for this – amazing positions but SO MUCH TRAVELING!!! Not only that, but the commentators rarely mention centering/traveling at all anymore. Dick Button used to mention it all the time back in the day. Should I just accept the fact that spins can’t be centered anymore? I would assume that GOE is affected by traveling, but it’s incredibly hard to tell if it is or not.
    I don't think it is impossible (in fact, sometimes JuLip IS centered, believe it or not) but I do think it is CONSIDERABLY harder than when skaters spun in simpler positions. I don't think it is a totally lost art but I do think it is valued A LOT less than it used to be... but I also think some of these positions are a LOT cooler than they used to be too (and then, some are ugly as hell).

Tripping on the Podium
    I was just watching an Olympics practice session and was wondering - what is the standard etiquette when a specific skater's music is playing? How far away should the other skaters be from the skater doing the runthrough? Do they have to refrain from making any specific moves? Or just anything else in particular?

Do the skaters ever get to practice with just one person on the ice at a time?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    How do pairs train side-by-side jumps? I'm not a skater, so to me just landing a jump seems tough enough. The idea of doing it perfectly in sync with another person completely boggles my brain.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I don't think it is impossible (in fact, sometimes JuLip IS centered, believe it or not) but I do think it is CONSIDERABLY harder than when skaters spun in simpler positions.
    Agreed. Every change of position is another opportunity to lose centering.

but I also think some of these positions are a LOT cooler than they used to be too (and then, some are ugly as hell).
    Often it depends on the skater's body proportions, even if they do the spin well. And if they get more points for achieving a position that doesn't look good on their body, or that they don't always execute well, we have to watch unattractive positions.

But there were some pretty ugly basic positions in the old days too, from skaters for whom spins and/or body line were at the bottom of the priority list.

And variations that were cool when few skaters were doing them may be less exciting the 100th time we see them now.

Some variations are still rare because they're so difficult, and cool IMO when skaters take up the challenge of pushing the envelope to earn features in new ways. Forward outside edge layback comes to mind as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by composer View Post
    I was just watching an Olympics practice session and was wondering - what is the standard etiquette when a specific skater's music is playing? How far away should the other skaters be from the skater doing the runthrough? Do they have to refrain from making any specific moves? Or just anything else in particular?
    The skater whose music is playing has the right of way, so everyone else should remain aware of who's skating the program and try to stay out of their way, if necessary aborting a move if they see the program skater coming.

If they train together often, they'll know where the skater will be going next. If they're not familiar with the other skater's program (having watched a few times from the stands or on video doesn't really count for being able to predict traffic patterns), they'll probably anticipate incorrectly and be in the wrong place sometimes, especially if they're focused on whatever they're working on themselves.

One advantage, on practice sessions, of telegraphing elements and putting them in the typical places on the ice, is that other skaters will be able to predict where the skater in program will be going next. A more original program with less predictable traffic patterns, surprise entries into elements, etc., will be harder to predict, harder to avoid.

Do the skaters ever get to practice with just one person on the ice at a time?
    At elite competitions? Maybe if they arrive at the venue on the first day before the rest of the skaters in their practice group get there.

At home? If they train at an unpopular time of day, or if they pay extra for private ice time, or in the case of star skaters if the rink offers them private ice time in exchange for some benefit to the rink from having them there.

Rinkside
    Finally a place for my stupid question

Is a 3sal 3loop jump still considered to be difficult? I remember Kurt did it in 1991 but I haven't been following skating as much and I don't see anyone doing this combination.
    Last edited by CocoChanel; 02-18-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Custom Title
    Is Baiul in Sochi?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    CocoChanel, almost no skaters do a 3loop as a second jump any more. The mechanics of the jump are such that you almost always see the 3loop called as underrotated. Consequently, skaters either do a 3toe as the second jump in a combination or opt for one of those 3 / 1/2 loop / 3 combinations

The one skater doing a 3loop 3loop jump this year was Samantha Cesario of the US. She had some pretty good attempts, but even the ones that looked good were called underrotated. By 4 Continents, she had given up on it.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    CocoChanel, almost no skaters do a 3loop as a second jump any more. The mechanics of the jump are such that you almost always see the 3loop called as underrotated. Consequently, skaters either do a 3toe as the second jump in a combination or opt for one of those 3 / 1/2 loop / 3 combinations

The one skater doing a 3loop 3loop jump this year was Samantha Cesario of the US. She had some pretty good attempts, but even the ones that looked good were called underrotated. By 4 Continents, she had given up on it.
    Thanks. Even when Kurt did it I wondered how he stayed on his feet LOL.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Back in Kurt's day, the combination for the short program alternated. One year the second jump had to be a loop, and the next year a toe loop. That's another reason that you used to see more loop combinations-all the skaters had to have one at least with a 2loop.

The mistress of the 2loop and 3loop was without doubt Midori Ito

Tripping on the Podium
    how many calories does a skater burn in a free skate? i've always wondered.

Lifelong Adam Fan KwanIsALegend's Avatar
    I just wanted to get opinions on the way the medal ceremonies are being carried out. Why do they not get their medals in the normal way? I think it is kind of weird.

Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast