Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 117 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm curious...how much would the sport have to progress technically before they change these factors?

I realize there's probably no correct answer. But I'm curious as to speculation :p

I don't think they'll change the factors but rather they'll add silly rules to bring down TES to match PCS (eg Zayak)

I'm curious...how much would the sport have to progress technically before they change these factors?

I realize there's probably no correct answer. But I'm curious as to speculation :p

I think they might consider a change if men could consistently score more than 100 points in TES and ladies more than 80 (long program). These are the maximum PCS (straight 10s across the board).

moriel

Record Breaker
I think they might consider a change if men could consistently score more than 100 points in TES and ladies more than 80 (long program). These are the maximum PCS (straight 10s across the board).

I wonder if this could explain part of PCs inflation in recent years... Judges sort of having the perception that on average PCs match the TES.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll probably be laughed off of the forum for asking this but i have no shame.

Has anyone here or has anyone one you know ever ridden in a blimp?

http://dhwlijwe9jil7.cloudfront.net.../44/2013/08/2011-Annual-Report-Cover.SOA_.jpg

I was just pondering the oddity and extra special rareness of such an opportunity actually presenting itself to me. So naturally I'm now curious if by chance anyone has had such an experience.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll probably be laughed off of the forum for asking this but i have no shame.

Has anyone here or has anyone one you know ever ridden in a blimp?

http://dhwlijwe9jil7.cloudfront.net.../44/2013/08/2011-Annual-Report-Cover.SOA_.jpg

I was just pondering the oddity and extra special rareness of such an opportunity actually presenting itself to me. So naturally I'm now curious if by chance anyone has had such an experience.

This has to be the best :hijacked: question even for a "stupid questions thread". Love it.

One degree of separation: my father in law, of blessed memory, piloted dirigibles and blimps for the Navy. (He was a career US Navy pilot). Sadly, neither spousal unit nor I have ever been in a blimp.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow...less than a half hour later my blimp question is answered as an affirmative. It really is a small world and I'm glad to be reminded of that everyday. Even the small "less important" evidence puts a little smile on my face.

Funny thing is I kept reading posts about inflated scores and become so bored with it that I wanted to find a funny "inflated" gif to disrupt the conversation. Then I kept finding photos of blimps and became fascinated and off went my mind. In all of this rambling nonsense I do believe I've uncovered a very important truth.

Real life actual inflation is more interesting than figure skating inflation;)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was just reading through some of the threads about judges and saw a comment that said "The Judges at GP events are only paid for their expenses and are not paid an hourly wage." Is this true??

Weathergal

Medalist
Wow...less than a half hour later my blimp question is answered as an affirmative. It really is a small world and I'm glad to be reminded of that everyday. Even the small "less important" evidence puts a little smile on my face.

Funny thing is I kept reading posts about inflated scores and become so bored with it that I wanted to find a funny "inflated" gif to disrupt the conversation. Then I kept finding photos of blimps and became fascinated and off went my mind. In all of this rambling nonsense I do believe I've uncovered a very important truth.

Real life actual inflation is more interesting than figure skating inflation;)

Could not agree more with your post!

Also thanks for the chuckle with your earlier post about the blimp question. I haven't ridden in a blimp either...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was just reading through some of the threads about judges and saw a comment that said "The Judges at GP events are only paid for their expenses and are not paid an hourly wage." Is this true??

Yes. NONE of the judges, officials, tech panel etc are paid. At bigger events, their expenses might get covered. At smaller events they might get a token sum towards their expenses. At the smallest events, they might get some chocolates.

They are VOLUNTEERS and they do it for love of the sport, not for pay, not for glory, because what glory is there in sitting in a cold rink for hours on end only to have people abuse you and call you corrupt if they don't agree with the score?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can't say I have, but I can see one in the air right now (as I usually can most Saturdays in the fall)... does that count? ;)

I've ridden in a Blimp and maybe I'm in the minority here but, I hated every minute of it. First of all, if you know anything about the "Hindenburg" you already have a fear of blimps before you even take off. To be fair, the actual flying part is not that bad as it's very quiet. HOWEVER, taking off and landing is nothing short of a near death experience and I wouldn't do it again if you paid me.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes. NONE of the judges, officials, tech panel etc are paid. At bigger events, their expenses might get covered. At smaller events they might get a token sum towards their expenses. At the smallest events, they might get some chocolates.

They are VOLUNTEERS and they do it for love of the sport, not for pay, not for glory, because what glory is there in sitting in a cold rink for hours on end only to have people abuse you and call you corrupt if they don't agree with the score?

WOW!!, I have clearly been living under a rock. I have a whole new respect for these judges. I love dance and always have but, there's no way I would have judged for more than a couple of seasons if I wasn't getting paid. I could certainly see doing it for a season or two as a way to give back to the sport. However, after that, I'd need more than a thank you as compensation for the aggravation that can be a part of judging. Thanks Karne!

:cheer2:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've ridden in a Blimp and maybe I'm in the minority here but, I hated every minute of it. First of all, if you know anything about the "Hindenburg" you already have a fear of blimps before you even take off. To be fair, the actual flying part is not that bad as it's very quiet. HOWEVER, taking off and landing is nothing short of a near death experience and I wouldn't do it again if you paid me.

OMG!! Two blimp people already!! I really overestimated the oddity of such an experience:eek::

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... One degree of separation: my father in law, of blessed memory, piloted dirigibles and blimps for the Navy. (He was a career US Navy pilot). Sadly, neither spousal unit nor I have ever been in a blimp.

Can't resist adding my one giant :yes: degree of separation (by no means as cool as taking a ride in a blimp):

Years ago, as a novel (IMO) one-time opportunity, I was a "helper" for the ground crew catching the ropes that assist in a blimp landing.

[It was years ago ... I have no idea whether the ropes still are used.]

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can't resist adding my one giant :yes: degree of separation (by no means as cool as taking a ride in a blimp):

Years ago, as a novel (IMO) one-time opportunity, I was a "helper" for the ground crew catching the ropes that assist in a blimp landing.

[It was years ago ... I have no idea whether the ropes still are used.]

Golden411. IMO, The landing was the most frightening part of the experience. Seeing a group of people standing on the tarmac and knowing that your life was in their hands was not fun especially if its as windy as it was on our day.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
So now I know that those flying things are called blimps. And thanks to Wikipedia I also know now that a blimp is not a zeppelin :biggrin: sound like something you'd learn on a FS forum

mrrice

Record Breaker
So now I know that those flying things are called blimps. And thanks to Wikipedia I also know now that a blimp is not a zeppelin :biggrin: sound like something you'd learn on a FS forum

Correct. Zeppelin was the name of the company that made the Hindedburg. The Hindeburg is also responsible for the elimination of hydrogen and the use of helium on all modern blimps.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is too funny...

I told spousal unit I had posted about his father's flying blimps for the Navy. He said --
*without* my telling him about any of the other posts in this thread --
"You should see them trying to land those things. It's quite an experience".
:laugh2:
Who knew, before this thread?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Golden411. IMO, The landing was the most frightening part of the experience. Seeing a group of people standing on the tarmac and knowing that your life was in their hands was not fun especially if its as windy as it was on our day.

Not brushing off what you're saying about the landing being frightening, mrrice.

But it occurs to me that I should have spelled out something more clearly in my post, lest anyone wonder about the safety practices of the ground crew:
My miniscule "role" (overstatement) on that day was nothing more than to add my body weight to the effort of pulling down on the ropes.
It was not/not/not a matter of the official ground crew letting a nonprofessional take on any meaningful responsibility. Nothing like that whatsoever.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WOW!!, I have clearly been living under a rock. I have a whole new respect for these judges. I love dance and always have but, there's no way I would have judged for more than a couple of seasons if I wasn't getting paid. I could certainly see doing it for a season or two as a way to give back to the sport. However, after that, I'd need more than a thank you as compensation for the aggravation that can be a part of judging. Thanks Karne!

:cheer2:

You're welcome, mrrice. It is actually one of the most common misconceptions in our sport. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone assume the judges were paid, well...I could probably train full-time. Even the top-level ISU technical controllers don't get paid - and usually have to pay to attend the training seminars and exams that they are required to take regularly.