Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 144 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey Russians, it's me again. With all this talk about a Russian Man not making the GPF, I started looking and I remembered a skater who doesn't get mentioned very often. His name is Alexander Abt, He was the third Russian at Worlds in 2001. He was Goooood Loooooookin' :agree: Does anyone know what he's doing these days??

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey Russians, it's me again. With all this talk about a Russian Man not making the GPF, I started looking and I remembered a skater who doesn't get mentioned very often. His name is Alexander Apt, He was the third Russian at Worlds in 2001. He was Goooood Loooooookin' :agree: Does anyone know what he's doing these days??

#SASHAWUZROBBED!

He's done heaps of things - some coaching, he even had a few bit parts in TV series. Some shows too I would think. Poor Sasha, his lot in life seemed to be perpetually as the "third Russian", picking up the scraps after Plushenko and Yagudin were done fighting over the top spots. I still maintain that he should have won Euros in 2002 (and based on his expression at the time Yagudin thought so too) and that he was unfairly stiffed in Salt Lake City because the Americans couldn't bear the thought of an all-Russian podium.

(and based on his expression at the time Yagudin thought so too).

I know, right? Yagudin was like, well, I skated like crap, I'll have to take what's coming to me. Wait, what?! I won? Oh, yeah, I knew it all the time. I totally deserved it. :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Guess who? Do you guys remember Anna Rechnio? She was a skater from Poland. I was wondering if there have been any other high level skaters from Poland. Why do I care. Because I love Basia. She is a Polish Singer who was very popular in the "Studio" side of show business who had 1 big album. I always thought her song "New Day For You" would make a great short program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5GKHqU35Y

mrrice

Record Breaker
Indeed.
It says on Wikipedia:
"Abt retired from competition and participated in the Russian TV show Ice Age (2008). He played one of the main roles in a Russian soap opera about figure skating, My Hot Ice (2008–2009). Abt has skated in Japan for Prince Ice World and in Russia on the Ice Symphony tour. He coaches in New Jersey."

And forgive me, I think he actually went to Belarus.

Thank you for posting that information. :thank:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
The use of impact singular is correct. The fall had a negative impact on an otherwise strong program. The fall impacted the rest of the program is not correct.

Yes this is correct. Thanks for clairfiying.

I have lived too long if "impact" has snuck up on me and become a verb while I was looking the other way. :laugh:

Actually, I think this happened back in the 1970s when people took a sudden interest in protecting the environment. Everyone had to write an "Environmental Impact Statement" before embarking on any big building project. No one really knew how to do it, so many pages of verbiage were generated to comply with new government regulations. Bureaucrats started saying (the language went nicely with the notion of an "Impact Statement") things like, "This dam will impact the nesting habits "

Instead of, "The dam will affect the nesting habits." Hey, this isn't an Environmental Effect Statement, peeps.

(As always, I reserve the right to be wrong, just in case anyone can bring in some quotes misusing the so-called verb "to impact" in this way before 1970. :) )

I know, I know. Old people die. Young people talk how they want to. Language evolves. :)

Much to your dismay, impact is a verb. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impact As mrice stated above, impacted is not though. This makes "This dam will impact the nesting habits" correct. According to Mirriam_Webster the first known use was 1601. ;)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Much to your dismay, impact is a verb. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impact As mrice stated above, impacted is not though. This makes "This dam will impact the nesting habits" correct. According to Mirriam_Webster the first known use was 1601. ;)

Well, if it's a verb, the past tense would be "impacted."

If the prediction that "This dam will impact the nesting habits" was correct, then after the fact it would be correct to gloat "See, this dam indeed impacted the nesting habits."

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Guess who? Do you guys remember Anna Rechnio? She was a skater from Poland. I was wondering if there have been any other high level skaters from Poland. Why do I care. Because I love Basia. She is a Polish Singer who was very popular in the "Studio" side of show business who had 1 big album. I always thought her song "New Day For You" would make a great short program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5GKHqU35Y

I can't imagine foreigners saying Basia's last name :devil:

I think the pairs team of Zagorska and Siudek are best known. They won quite a few international medals in the late 90s - early 2000s.

Yup. And before them there was Grzegorz Filipowski. He won bronze medal at '89 Worlds. Now he is one of the coaches of Roman Sadovsky (who qualified for JGPF this year :) ).

mrrice

Record Breaker
"=cathlen;1310906]I can't imagine foreigners saying Basia's last name :devil:"

It's nearly impossible spell and even harder to say. I remember searching the internet to find a clip of her saying her name and she when she did.....I was like...:scratch2:

The only "Sport" I was ever good at was Tennis and I've followed closely since the 80's. So, I have a question for you. Is Agnieszka Radwanska popular in Poland? With all this talk about how skaters look different in person, it's certainly true about female tennis players. Unlike the Men. The ladies are usually playing with their hair slicked back into pony tail or bun. Some just wear Hats or Visors and little to no makeup.

I saw Aga at a tournament in California and she was doing a meet and greet. She is Beautiful!! She was very nice and very natural when speaking English. However, when Polish Fans came up to her she lit up and even though I had no idea what she was saying, the people she was talking to were very happy.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
"=cathlen;1310906]I can't imagine foreigners saying Basia's last name :devil:"

It's nearly impossible spell and even harder to say. I remember searching the internet to find a clip of her saying her name and she when she did.....I was like...:scratch2:

The only "Sport" I was ever good at was Tennis and I've followed closely since the 80's. So, I have a question for you. Is Agnieszka Radwanska popular in Poland? With all this talk about how skaters look different in person, it's certainly true about female tennis players. Unlike the Men. The ladies are usually playing with their hair slicked back into pony tail or bun. Some just wear Hats or Visors and little to no makeup.

I saw Aga at a tournament in California and she was doing a meet and greet. She is Beautiful!! She was very nice and very natural when speaking English. However, when Polish Fans came up to her she lit up and even though I had no idea what she was saying, the people she was talking to were very happy.

I don't follow tennis closely, so it's just my impressions and it may differ from reality, but... Most polish fans are a little volatile & and they change thiri opinions on sportsmen/sporstwomen quite easily. I think Agnieszka has as many admirers as critics actually, though she's undeniably best polish female player of all time. It's not for me to judge her beauty and English, but I'm sure she would be glad to hear what you think about her :) And she clearly likes to be around people who has connections to Poland as her two best friends on Tour are Caroline Wozniacki & Angelique Kerber (as she said herself), both with polish roots. And I think everybody likes to hear their mother language while being abroad for so long as she is during the season :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't follow tennis closely, so it's just my impressions and it may differ from reality, but... Most polish fans are a little volatile & and they change thiri opinions on sportsmen/sporstwomen quite easily. I think Agnieszka has as many admirers as critics actually, though she's undeniably best polish female player of all time. It's not for me to judge her beauty and English, but I'm sure she would be glad to hear what you think about her :) And she clearly likes to be around people who has connections to Poland as her two best friends on Tour are Caroline Wozniacki & Angelique Kerber (as she said herself), both with polish roots. And I think everybody likes to hear their mother language while being abroad for so long as she is during the season :)

Thanks Cathlen, She certainly left a big impression on me and I only met her for 30 seconds. Of course, I was standing right next to her during her entire press event as I had a friend working the Coco Cola booth. I always enjoy hearing skaters speak foreign languages. Especially Plushy. :agree:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So I have a tights question, are the tights that fit over a lady's boot the same as the ones that fit inside the boot? or are the ones that go inside more like pantyhose (with an enclosed toe)?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So I have a tights question, are the tights that fit over a lady's boot the same as the ones that fit inside the boot? or are the ones that go inside more like pantyhose (with an enclosed toe)?

They are not exactly the same. From the waist to about the ankle they are the same, but the footed tights that go inside the boot have a fitted foot (like pantyhose), while the ones that go over the boot have a special opening with fasteners.