Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    My understanding of "attack" would be that it would be rewarded primarily under Performance/Execution, especially the "physical involvement" criterion.

But yes, the other criteria you mention could also be affected.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    My understanding of "attack" would be that it would be rewarded primarily under Performance/Execution, especially the "physical involvement" criterion.

But yes, the other criteria you mention could also be affected.
    Okay I'll keep this mind... also, I was thinking it could be something that's supposed to factor into GoE instead, because the technical elements are really all there is to "attack" in a program (so a matter of execution in the TES, rather than PCS).

I've been so busy with school that I haven't been on this forum in about a month! So here's my silly question: Did Adelina drop out of Worlds? I ask because Wikipedia lists Julia and Anna as representatives...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wo..._Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    I've been so busy with school that I haven't been on this forum in about a month! So here's my silly question: Did Adelina drop out of Worlds? I ask because Wikipedia lists Julia and Anna as representatives...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wo..._Championships
    Welcome back, Sochi_2014!

Yes, Adelina is not going to Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Welcome back, Sochi_2014!

Yes, Adelina is not going to Worlds.
    How come?

How come?
    No official reason, but post-Sochi fatigue, perhaps? She was touring a lot in the weeks following the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    No official reason, but post-Sochi fatigue, perhaps? She was touring a lot in the weeks following the Olympics.
    From what I can tell from her interviews (after google translate has mangled them into "English")... she had every intention of going to world's, but the Russian skating federation chose not to send her?

eg. Try running this one through google translate

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Hello, I hope you guys help me with some of my really dumb questions about PCS.

Like I don't get why some people have extremely high PCS, while some others have low PCS eventhough they are more fun to watch.

For example, I can understand why PChan always get high PCS because his skating is so smooth and he moves on the ice like water. I can get it why people say PChan's skating skills are superb.

I can see when people say someone's skating skills are not good, such as Denis Ten. I like him, but his moves always seem to be awkward to me.

But some other skaters, for example, like Daisuke. I think he also skates well, then why his PCS always seem to be so slow even though his performances were so good? so his lines and postures, ice coverage are not enough or something? If so then who are the ones to judges those components in the program? Like slow motion or something?

And another example, Yuzuru. The kid is young, so I can understand that he need to improve a lot. And his skating is not as smooth as PChan. Well, he is young so I think it's okay, he has time to work on it. But some people say the kid's skating skills are bad so I am confused. He might not be as good as PChan and Dai, because he is young. But to say his skating skills are bad? Is that too harsh?

Well, I hate to say it, but for the most part, PCS is a game of favorites...

Well, I hate to say it, but for the most part, PCS is a game of favorites...
    So, does that mean all of the explanation below could be rigged? Like all of these reasons below are just...for nothing? Because personally I think, if all of these points below are judged like TES, then it would take days to score a skater.

The program components score (PCS) are:
    Skating skills (SS) reward use of edges and turns, flow over the ice surface, speed and acceleration, ice coverage, clean and controlled curves, multi-directional skating, and mastery of one-foot skating (no overuse of skating on two feet).
    Transitions (TR)
    Performance/Execution (PE)
    Choreography (CH)
    Interpretation (IN)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post

Like I don't get why some people have extremely high PCS, while some others have low PCS eventhough they are more fun to watch.

For example, I can understand why PChan always get high PCS because his skating is so smooth and he moves on the ice like water. I can get it why people say PChan's skating skills are superb.

I can see when people say someone's skating skills are not good, such as Denis Ten. I like him, but his moves always seem to be awkward to me.

But some other skaters, for example, like Daisuke. I think he also skates well, then why his PCS always seem to be so slow even though his performances were so good? so his lines and postures, ice coverage are not enough or something? If so then who are the ones to judges those components in the program? Like slow motion or something?

And another example, Yuzuru. The kid is young, so I can understand that he need to improve a lot. And his skating is not as smooth as PChan. Well, he is young so I think it's okay, he has time to work on it. But some people say the kid's skating skills are bad so I am confused. He might not be as good as PChan and Dai, because he is young. But to say his skating skills are bad? Is that too harsh?
    I thinked that Daisuke PCS always was high
    Chan have the highest PCS in the field.

About Hanyu.For me he is the best in terms of technical stuff in thie field. He was closing PCS on Chan. Chan should do more on the jumps execution, because when Hanyu is on he is unbeatable with the TES he can hit (even with mistakes )

Some performances are fun to watch but details make diffrence, and Chan and Hanyu are ahead of everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I thinked that Daisuke PCS always was high
    Chan have the highest PCS in the field.

About Hanyu.For me he is the best in terms of technical stuff in thie field. He was closing PCS on Chan. Chan should do more on the jumps execution, because when Hanyu is on he is unbeatable with the TES he can hit (even with mistakes )

Some performances are fun to watch but details make diffrence, and Chan and Hanyu are ahead of everybody.
    Then why some people say Hanyu's skating skills are bad? I can get it that his skating skills are not as good as PChan because PChan move smoothly than him. But to say the kid's skating skills are bad, then does that mean they gave the gold medal to a bad skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post

"Fun to watch" is not itself a criterion for any of the program components.

You could probably find some criteria in the Performance/Execution, Choreography, and Interpretation components that skaters who are good at them are consistently more fun for you to watch, or for most people to watch. So they should get credit for doing those things well.

But if those are they only things they're good at they won't score very high overall. And skaters who are good at everything else can score high for those reasons, even if the "fun to watch" aspects are the few areas where they are weakest.

Some details of Skating Skills and Transitions are fun for me to watch but others may not notice at all.

I wouldn't say Ten's skating skills are not good. I would say they are good, but he's competing against other skaters who are better than just good.

Takahashi does usually earn high PCS. Where they are not the highest, that's usually because someone else was better in more areas than he was.

Aside from Chan, who is exceptional in this area, I think Hanyu's skating skills are among the best in the men's field these days. He seems to cover the ice with ease, effortlessly at good speed, and to be able to change direction at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    "Fun to watch" is not itself a criterion for any of the program components.

You could probably find some criteria in the Performance/Execution, Choreography, and Interpretation components that skaters who are good at them are consistently more fun for you to watch, or for most people to watch. So they should get credit for doing those things well.

But if those are they only things they're good at they won't score very high overall. And skaters who are good at everything else can score high for those reasons, even if the "fun to watch" aspects are the few areas where they are weakest.

Some details of Skating Skills and Transitions are fun for me to watch but others may not notice at all.
    Thank you very much. Then would you please explain to me about lines and postures? Like some people say "her lines are bad" but I don't understand why it's bad, or about the postures. Some of the top skaters have postures that I don't find eye-candy, but still they are top of the top. Sometimes I am so confused about the whole "skating skills" definition.

Custom Title
    Program Component Explanations

Lines and posture would primarily be reflected in the Performance/Execution component, Carriage and Clarity of movement criteria. They wouldn't officially have much impact on other components.

But if a skater is good in those areas and makes everything they do look good, it will probably have a positive effect on how judges view other aspects of their skating, such as the "balance" portion of Skating Skills.

And good alignment and stretch can also help the grades of executions -- good positions on spins and jump landings, for example, and spirals in the ladies' Choreo sequence. And many pair moves.

Skating fans who are also fans of ballet, ballroom dance, gymnastics, etc. (or judges who are also well versed in those fields -- and definitely some TV commentators such as Dick Button) may put a lot of weight on line and posture and consider them some of the most important determinants of what makes "good" skating.

But a skater who is great at the interaction of blades and ice, but only average or below-average at line and posture, can also score well.

So you can get disagreements among those who prefer great lines with OK skating (e.g., Sasha Cohen) vs. those who prefer stronger skating and weaker posture and body line (Irina Slutskaya).

The Skating Skills criteria are:
    -Balance, rhythmic knee action, and precision of foot placement
    -Flow and effortless glide
    Rhythm, strength, clean strokes, and an efficient use of lean create a steady run to the blade and an ease of transfer of weight resulting in seemingly effortless power and acceleration.
    -Cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps, and turns
    The skater should demonstrate clean and controlled curves, deep edges, and steps.
    -Varied use of power/energy, speed, and acceleration
    Variety is the gradation – some of which may be subtle
    -Multi directional skating
    Includes all direction of skating: forward and backward, clockwise and counterclockwise including rotation in both directions.
    -Mastery of one foot skating
    No over use of skating on two feet.
    Do you have specific questions?

Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 ... LastLast