Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 153 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone ever skated to "Come Sail Away" By Styx. With some splicing, I think it would make a great program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TcztyNlFx0

Oh geez....I grew up with an old juke box full of 80's records in it leftover from an old family restaurant. Anyway...that immediately makes me think of Christopher Cross "Sailing". In fact I had tossed around the idea of making a spiral montage to "Sailing" :laugh:
https://youtu.be/yyYhZ9HH8cI

I can't answer your question but I'll follow up with....has anyone ever skated to any Christopher Cross music? ;)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh geez....I grew up with an old juke box full of 80's records in it leftover from an old family restaurant. Anyway...that immediately makes me think of Christopher Cross "Sailing". In fact I had tossed around the idea of making a spiral montage to "Sailing" :laugh:
https://youtu.be/yyYhZ9HH8cI

I can't answer your question but I'll follow up with....has anyone ever skated to any Christopher Cross music? ;)

I haven't skated to it but, I did Choreograph one of my very favorite to Dances to "Sailing and Ride Like The Wind" Both by Christopher Cross. I'd love to see Keegan Messing skate to Ride Like Wind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C0rqf2iws0

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
This is actually really random, but did America ever have an ice dance team made of two people named Alison Best and Trevor Young? :scratch:

(One of the teachers at my school is an ex-figure skater named Alison Best... and I don't know where I got the other name from.)

gkelly

Record Breaker
This is actually really random, but did America ever have an ice dance team made of two people named Alison Best and Trevor Young? :scratch:

There was a pair team named Andrea Best and Trevor Young a few years ago.

No idea if your Best is related.

My stupid question for ice dance experts:
What is "partial" about the Partial Step Sequence?

JMJ2015

Rinkside
How important is it to consider hosting country when selecting program music? For example, Yulia is doing Elvis because she was going to Skate America (although I disagree with Elvis being the epitome of American music...), and the year before she wanted to do Mulan because of Cup of China (and Worlds which she didn't get on the team for). So far, I've only seen Yulia talking about this in interviews, so I'm not sure it's an actual thing. But there are some interesting coincidences I've noticed as far as the Olympics go. At the 2014 Olympics, Mao skated to Russian composer Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, a piece that was also performed in one of the ceremonies if I'm not mistaken. In 2006, Shizuka won gold at Tornio with a free program to music from Turandot by Puccini (an Italian), which included Nessun Dorma...again, performed at the opening ceremony. Sasha Cohen skated to music by Nino Rota (also an Italian) composed for the movie Romeo & Juliet...the story of which takes place in Italy.

I know that Marina Zueva had all of her teams do something either Russian (Davis/White, Virtue/Moir) in origin or something well-known and liked in Russia (Shibutani's) for Sochi. Davis/White had been sitting on a desire to do Scherezade for several years and she encouraged them to wait for the Olympic year (they also felt they weren't ready for the program they wanted to do). I'm not sure how much this had to do with Marina being Russian and wanting to show the Russians what she could do while celebrating her own nationality but she did plan programs this way and it worked pretty well for her.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I noticed a skater at U.S. Nationals with a fairly pronounced bend at the waist before takeoff on jumps. I'm a long time casual fan and don't remember ever seeing a skater do this on all jumps. Is this a technique issue that will lead to later jump problems? Can it be fixed?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If a skate were to do a 3X+1/2Loop+3F jump but managed to get an edge call on the flip.... would that cause other scoring issues?

Would it break some rule about flow of a combination/sequence? I seem to think i read somewhere a rule regarding changing of an edge on combos/sequences and it being an issue and was wondering how the above situation would work out.

I guess the next question would be if a skater could somehow end up on an outside edge after the half/loop could they do a 3Z at the end?

Is the issue in both the edge the 1/2 loop is landed on?

randomfan

Record Breaker
Which would be better for the skater?

Skating earlier in the group?
(right after the warm-up/right after 1 or 2 skaters after the warm-up)
OR
Skating later in the group?
(last person or close to last)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Second after the warmup is usually best for getting the full benefit of the warmup.

If you skate first you want to stop or at least slow down before the end of the six minutes to catch your breath before competing. The longer you have to wait after the end of the warmup, the more time for your muscles to cool down and tighten up.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Second after the warmup is usually best for getting the full benefit of the warmup.

If you skate first you want to stop or at least slow down before the end of the six minutes to catch your breath before competing. The longer you have to wait after the end of the warmup, the more time for your muscles to cool down and tighten up.

Thank you!

narcissa

Record Breaker
When Gracie and a few other skaters begin a camel spin (like in Gracie's Phantom program last year), they do a lot of, uhm, not sure what it's called but they scrape/push against the ice a few times with their other foot. I usually see this in conjunction with doing a flying camel so I assumed that they just failed at the flying part, but could it be they're just doing it to spin faster/longer?

gkelly

Record Breaker
You mean this move before the spin?

It's called "stars" (because the body makes an approximate star shape) and counts as a transition. Not sure if it qualifies as a difficult entry level feature.

eta

Medalist
Hi, so I /just/ found out that a quad can get -4 goe if the skater fell (when did this rule happen anyway?), does that mean a very nicely done quad can get +4 goe?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, so I /just/ found out that a quad can get -4 goe if the skater fell (when did this rule happen anyway?), does that mean a very nicely done quad can get +4 goe?

Pretty sure +3 is the max you score. The reason for the -4 is to discourage those "clearly" just making attempts and to have a slightly higher penalty for a jump that scores the highest but performed under par. Increase the risk for an already hefty reward I guess.

eta

Medalist
Pretty sure +3 is the max you score. The reason for the -4 is to discourage those "clearly" just making attempts and to have a slightly higher penalty for a jump that scores the highest but performed under par. Increase the risk for an already hefty reward I guess.

Oh I see, thanks! Makes lots of sense actually imo. Yeah I thought of some skaters who always tries quads in competition but /never/ landed any.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh I see, thanks!

This is also the first year of the -4 GOE. Did someone get it at Euro's? Not sure I've noted anyone receiving the penalty yet myself but I missed everything today.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
This is also the first year of the -4 GOE. Did someone get it at Euro's? Not sure if noted anyone recoeving yet myself but I missed everything today.

I wasn't able to catch it live but I just read it in the Euro Men SP thread.

JMJ2015

Rinkside
Is there anyway that the 100(0) programs you ought to see before you die thread could move to references? I really enjoy watching those videos but searching for the thread every time I want to is frustrating and I am sure there are many people who are like me, relatively new to skating and without any knowledge of the history and how the current skaters have developed and would appreciate this comprehensive list.

Thanks!

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...(00)-programs-you-ought-to-see-before-you-die

Last edited: