Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    I think "balanced rotations in all positions" means similar numbers of revolutions in each position of the spin.
    Of course, they should be well balanced over the blade as well, but I think that's your #7 bullet point.

Custom Title
    Random question: Is there a reason why ladies don't do a 2A-2A sequence in the free? I think that'd be cool to see.

Rinkside
    A 2A+2A+SEQ is only worth 5.28 for a base mark. Sequences unlike combos are only worth 80% of the total combined jump value e.g. 2A is worth 3.3 so 3.3+3.3*0.8=5.28. If you did 2A+3T+COMBO you would get full value for both jumps 3.3+4.1=7.4 base value.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by I♥Yuna View Post
    Thanks gkelly!

One more from the +GoE section - what is the difference between bullet 3 "balanced rotations in all positions" and bullet 7 "good control throughout all phases"?
    I normally interpret it to say having an equal number of revs in each position. Sometimes lower level skaters will try a camel spin do 1 rev fall out of it and go into the sit position and do 4 revs. Since there isn't 3/4 revs in both camel and sit it isn't balanced.

In my example above the skater wouldn't have good control through all phases as they fell out of the camel spin even though they may have had good control in the sit so they wouldn't get a plus one bullet for that

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    A 2A+2A+SEQ is only worth 5.28 for a base mark. Sequences unlike combos are only worth 80% of the total combined jump value e.g. 2A is worth 3.3 so 3.3+3.3*0.8=5.28. If you did 2A+3T+COMBO you would get full value for both jumps 3.3+4.1=7.4 base value.
    Thanks, I did not know that!

Custom Title
    Is this post-olympic worlds turning out better than usual or are the scores just inflated? (I haven't had enough time to watch anything yet...)

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Hello everyone, it's me again. There is this question that has been bugging me for a while. Would you guys help me out?

In pair or ice dancing, people usually say the female skater is technically superior to the male one, I don't understand why, is this a tendency for most cases?

Thank you in advance.

umm...
    Oh, my question is very stupid, but I always wanted to know: why 'Loop' jump is called 'Rittberger' in some European countries (incl. Russia and Ukraine)? I've never heard someone call it 'loop' here. I mean, if Rittberger was the first skater who jumped loop than why it called 'Loop' in the official rules and protocols? Salchow and Axel on the other hand named after skaters who jumped them first.

Custom Title
    ^ Lutz and Walley, too.

Custom Title
    Here is another stupid question:

Does the bracket entry have any effect on rotations? I noticed that Ashley, Akiko, Kanako and Mao all have bracket entries to their 3F, and they tend to under rotate their jumps, especially the second jump in combo.

On the other hand, Yuna, Yulia, Caro...skate foward and make a sharp turn the same direction to enter the 3F, and they rarely underroate their jumps.

Are these just coincidences?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow63 View Post
    Oh, my question is very stupid, but I always wanted to know: why 'Loop' jump is called 'Rittberger' in some European countries (incl. Russia and Ukraine)? I've never heard someone call it 'loop' here. I mean, if Rittberger was the first skater who jumped loop than why it called 'Loop' in the official rules and protocols? Salchow and Axel on the other hand named after skaters who jumped them first.
    I think the loop jump was called that because the takeoff is similar to a doing a loop in school figures. I don't know why Werner Rittberger isn't honored in the official protocols. In some ISU documents they say "loop jump (Rittberger)."

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima
    In pair or ice dancing, people usually say the female skater is technically superior to the male one, I don't understand why, is this a tendency for most cases?
    I don't know about overall, but in the United States there are about 100 girls who want to take up ice dancing and pairs for every boy. So just on the law of averages there are a lot of very good girls trying to make do by scrounging up the best boy available. (That's what I think, anyway.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Hello everyone, it's me again. There is this question that has been bugging me for a while. Would you guys help me out?

Thank you in advance.
    In dance, there are about as many teams where the guy is a better skater as where the girl is. Pre COP you could have a team where the partners were not equal, but current rules require equal skills for both partners. There is always an attempt to pair up skaters who are equally skilled/talented these days.

Paul Poirier and Andrew Poje were more skilled than their current partners when they first teamed up.
    Lobacheva never did catch up to Averbukh. I tend to feel Schoenfelder was a better skater than Delobel, and Kraatz was better than Bourne.

On the other side, Fusar Poli was stronger than Margaglio, Anissina was better than Peizerat, and Grushina was far better than Goncharov.

One thing: guys are taller. It's harder for a tall guy to jump. It's also a bit harder for tall guys to stay stable during twizzles. There's a reason that spinning tops are not tall and thin. The moment of Rotational inertia about non vertical axes is not as favorable.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-12-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Here is another stupid question:

Does the bracket entry have any effect on rotations? I noticed that Ashley, Akiko, Kanako and Mao all have bracket entries to their 3F, and they tend to under rotate their jumps, especially the second jump in combo.

On the other hand, Yuna, Yulia, Caro...skate foward and make a sharp turn the same direction to enter the 3F, and they rarely underroate their jumps.

Are these just coincidences?
    It's not a bracket that they do. They do a mohawk. The sharp turn is a 3 turn (looks like a 3 on the ice). A bracket it is like a 3 turn but turns the other way (looks like "{" on the ice). I don't know if the entrance makes a difference. Skaters just do whichever they're more comfortable with. It should be noted though that all the skaters you listed who go into the flip with a mohawk also have UR problems on other jumps while the skaters who do the 3 turn don't. I mean, for example, Osmond also does the flip with a mohawk and doesn't UR it. So probably it's just a coincidence.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    They get two entries. The interesting rule is what happens if the have only one skater, and she places first or second. They get 3. If she places top 10, they get 2.
    http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pai...echnical-rules

Rule 378, paragraph 3
    Thank you, Doris.

Custom Title
    I posted this in one of Mao threads but this thread seems more appropriate to ask about this:

Can someone explain how that tech score thing works on TV? The little box that shows up during the live broadcasting. Are they actual numbers that are given by the judges, with the highest and lowest taken out, then summed and averaged, minus technical panel's calls? Or are there 3rd party experts simulating judging according to what they see on the spot, later adjusted as the judges' scores are revealed?

Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast