Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Great thread!

Another name issue: is Aliona and Alena the same name? The commentators in my country very often say "Aliona Leonova".

Ok, and here I go with possibly the dumbest question ever (but I was never a skater, so I really wouldn't know):
    Do female skaters wear underwear? I mean, it always looked to me that they have that attached-to-the-dress underwear (a la gymnastics) and the tights underneath. So... is this it?

I do realize this is a terribly down-to-earth, silly, maybe even tasteless question, but it always fascinated me/made me wonder. Please put me out of my misery and answer :P

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    Great thread!
    Do female skaters wear underwear? I mean, it always looked to me that they have that attached-to-the-dress underwear (a la gymnastics) and the tights underneath. So... is this it?

I do realize this is a terribly down-to-earth, silly, maybe even tasteless question, but it always fascinated me/made me wonder. Please put me out of my misery and answer :P
    No to the underwear, at least for most. The tights they wear have cotton gussets which function essentially as underwear, and the skating dress goes over that. Wearing underwear in addition to that would make for some unsightly lines, particularly across the waistband, and you don't really need it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    No to the underwear, at least for most. The tights they wear have cotton gussets which function essentially as underwear, and the skating dress goes over that. Wearing underwear in addition to that would make for some unsightly lines, particularly across the waistband, and you don't really need it.
    Yep, I imagined something like that. Thanks for answering!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Another name issue: is Aliona and Alena the same name? The commentators in my country very often say "Aliona Leonova".
    In Cyrillic, Leonova's first name is: Алёна.

With the diacritical mark over the "e" -- ё -- the correct pronunciation is indeed (more or less): "Alyona."

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    It depends on the situation, however, and I know of many skaters who sometimes wear a thong under their tights. Granny panties are right out, though.

Custom Title
    Great thread!

Ok, and here I go with possibly the dumbest question ever (but I was never a skater, so I really wouldn't know):

They're both in a family of names derived from Helena.

Here is my question:
    Who is watching Rachael's two huge dogs when the family is out??

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    In pairs and ice dance at US Nationals, why are some couples announced as representing two different skating clubs (for example, the Shibs and D&W)? Since they have to train together anyway, why don't they represent just one club? That's always confused me. Can someone please explain why this happens?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    In pairs and ice dance at US Nationals, why are some couples announced as representing two different skating clubs (for example, the Shibs and D&W)? Since they have to train together anyway, why don't they represent just one club? That's always confused me. Can someone please explain why this happens?
    I'm so glad someone asked that. I noticed that announcement being made several times (the most amazing one to me was Meryl and Charlie, who have been like two halves of the same whole for fifteen years), and I wondered about that and never thought to ask the experts on GS.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Question!

What does "Zhenya" mean? I always hear it associated with Evgeni Plushenko, but I think I've heard it with Evgenia Kanaeva. Is it a nickname for people whose names have "Evgen-" in them?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    I am an announcer and a parent of a skater. In pairs and ice dance, the two individuals may come from different areas, thus represent different clubs. In pairs and dance specifically, skaters are not required to change clubs to reflect the club that they currently train in. (The are rules are a little different for singles skaters below the Novice level)

There are many reasons for each member of a team to continue to represent their own "club of origin." If the individuals have clubs in two different regions, it might be strategic to skate in a region that has fewer teams at their level so that they can advance from Sectionals to Nationals easier. As a parent of a skater, I know there are also "heart" ties, pride and gratefulness that make skaters want continue to represent their own clubs. Clubs also can be giving support in grants to skaters who skate at the qualifying competitions. Skaters usually have spent lots of years in their club and have many friends and supporters that they honor by continuing to skate for their respective club.

Sometimes in pairs and dance, the skaters may split time between the two clubs and coaches, sometimes not.

Hope that makes sense.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    1. In pairs skating, how are the twist levels determined. What is a level 2 triple twist as opposed to a level 4?
    http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net...n_13-08-03.pdf (page 23)

Question!

Why does the British Eurosport pronounce Yuzuru's name wrong most of the time? For example Yazunori. And why do they sometimes mess up the skaters countries? For example Patrick Chan of China and Mirai Nagasu of Japan.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi13 View Post
    Question!

Why does the British Eurosport pronounce Yuzuru's name wrong most of the time? For example Yazunori. And why do they sometimes mess up the skaters countries? For example Patrick Chan of China and Mirai Nagasu of Japan.
    Because British Eurosport commentators are completely clueless a lot of the time. They will also, for example, tell you that a double-footed twist where a lady lands on the man's shoulder is 'wonderful' or 'fantastic.'

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi13 View Post
    Question!

For a time, they also liked to pronounce Szolkowy as SKolkowy, and Smirnov as Schmirnov (a German accent for a Russian skater with a common Russian surname).

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast