Page 22 of 90 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    At least twice that I can remember, skaters who lost or broke a skate borrowed someone else's. Mark Ladwig, a US pair skater, borrowed a skate from Rudi Swiegers, a Canadian pair skater, at a 4cc's.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Last year at Worlds, Yurii Bieliaiev, an ice dancer from Belarus, borrowed skates from Canadian skater Adam Johnson and Bieliaiev's partner, Victoria Kavaliova, borrowed skates from one of Scott Moir's relatives.

http://www.usanews.com/article/19496...orrowed-skates

On the other side of the coin, I seem to remember hearing that Davis & White took 2 pairs of skates each to Olympics?
    Maybe I'm unaware of this rule, but is it not allowed to bring skates/blades in carry-on luggage? Maybe an IATA law? I feel like something should potentially be done about that, if that's the case - perhaps the ISU can appeal to the IATA - it's a shame when something like this happens because luggage was lost/mishandled and the skaters weren't allowed to bring their skates onboard

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Maybe I'm unaware of this rule, but is it not allowed to bring skates/blades in carry-on luggage? Maybe an IATA law? I feel like something should potentially be done about that, if that's the case - perhaps the ISU can appeal to the IATA - it's a shame when something like this happens because luggage was lost/mishandled and the skaters weren't allowed to bring their skates onboard
    No, I don't think think skates are allowed to be put in the carry-on luggage, probably because of the blades. Again, maybe one of the resident experts here can enlighten us. I know that Stéphane Lambiel was flying to Japan (IIRC) to do some shows, and his skates were in his checked luggage, which got lost, at least temporarily. He had to borrow skates from Vicktor Petrenko, I believe.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    Patrick Chan has more than one pair of skates in use at a time. He sends his skates to Toronto for sharpening so he needs alternate pairs.
    Thanks! That is interesting to know, and it makes sense that he would do that. It sounds like maybe he travels with only one pair at a time, however, or am I misunderstanding? Thanks!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Panpie View Post
    No, I don't think think skates are allowed to be put in the carry-on luggage, probably because of the blades. Again, maybe one of the resident experts here can enlighten us. I know that Stéphane Lambiel was flying to Japan (IIRC) to do some shows, and his skates were in his checked luggage, which got lost, at least temporarily. He had to borrow skates from Vicktor Petrenko, I believe.
    The TSA keeps changing the rules. I know there was that poor ice dancer a few years ago that had to compete in rental skates after the airline forced her to check hers and then lost them. But I took a flight a month ago and was surprised to learn that they do allow figure skates as carry-ons.

Here's the TSA link; it says figure skates are ok to carry on under sporting goods (but ski poles are not??? Oh, TSA...): http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ohibited-items

Found an article and video on the ice dancer, Jordan Noelle. They didn't just lose her skates, they lost ALL her equipment. The costume she's wearing was borrowed from one of the vendors on site.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/co...tal-Skates.htm , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hroBU9ZCzw

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffledgrouse View Post
    The TSA keeps changing the rules. I know there was that poor ice dancer a few years ago that had to compete in rental skates after the airline forced her to check hers and then lost them. But I took a flight a month ago and was surprised to learn that they do allow figure skates as carry-ons.

Here's the TSA link; it says figure skates are ok to carry on under sporting goods (but ski poles are not??? Oh, TSA...): http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ohibited-items

Found an article and video on the ice dancer, Jordan Noelle. They didn't just lose her skates, they lost ALL her equipment. The costume she's wearing was borrowed from one of the vendors on site.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/co...tal-Skates.htm , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hroBU9ZCzw
    Thanks! That's interesting, but I imagine the rules could vary depending on what country the skater's flight starts in, or are the rules universal? I don't travel by plane very often, and I have not kept up with all the changes about what you can and cannot carry on the plane.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffledgrouse View Post

So somebody can bring ice skates with essentially a knife on the bottom, but my 5 ounce bottle of hairgel gets confiscated

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    But us regular folks are usually not as cute and cuddly looking as the average skater.

fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    Seems like a stupid question, so I'll just ask here
    How hard exactly is it to get good tickets for the GPF? And about how much would an All Event ticket cost? (just an approximate range if that's possible)
    Because right now I'm in random "book a flight"-mode and I just know that I would kick myself if I booked a flight without even knowing how the chances are of me actually getting a good seat (I have zero idea what I'm doing here so I'd appreciate some pointers )

Custom Title
    Pamina, I've found through the years that it's a bit more costly but going with a tour group (Dash, Silver Blades, etc.) will always ensure you get good seats. We've used Dash for a Skate Canada, 2 Worlds and 2 Nationals and always had what we asked for. We like to be center ice, on the aisle and about 9 rows up. If you're any closer to the ice it's difficult to see the far corners.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Pamina~ View Post
    Seems like a stupid question, so I'll just ask here
    How hard exactly is it to get good tickets for the GPF? And about how much would an All Event ticket cost? (just an approximate range if that's possible)
    +1 i m curious too !

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    So somebody can bring ice skates with essentially a knife on the bottom, but my 5 ounce bottle of hairgel gets confiscated
    I was just about to type basically the exact same thing -- aagh! But if it's logic you want, the TSA probably isn't the best place to look...

Many years ago when I played flute seriously, I was always grateful that my instrument was small enough that carrying it in the cabin wasn't an issue. Still feel sorry for cellists and double bass players etc., some of whom have been known to buy an actual seat for their instruments, especially for extremely valuable ones. For a skater, consigning their skates to the luggage hold has to be just as harrowing as being separated from one's cello. The one difference I can think of is that presumably you can replace boots and blades relatively easily, although breaking them in is another story. And there's nothing easy about competing with borrowed equipment!

Come to think of it, the blade issue has me wondering about professional chefs, who cherish their knives as much as any pair of skates or musical instrument. Now imagining a set of Henckels going through a metal detector....yikes!

Custom Title
    Eh you know, that's not always foolproof, not only because of TSA but also because of customs, although it's usually with checked luggage.

For example, earlier this year Boujemaa Razgui got 13 handcrafted flutes destroyed by customs. He makes them himself out of bamboo. Customs said his bags had "agricultural material" and took them all, and said they were destroyed. After 9/11, Krystian Zimerman who's a world-renowned pianist had his Steinway grand (!) confiscated and destroyed because some inspector said the glue used to hold the piano together "smelled like explosives". He was flying in for a concert and obviously not pleased. Nowadays he ships the parts separately, leaving an empty piano case in the U.S. to put them in when he arrives; he's also a piano technician so he can put the piano together himself.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Vanshilar -- thanks (I think) for the extraordinary stories. I will never again feel sorry for myself re: shampoo & cosmetics when traveling!

For anyone who's interested, here's a link w/ more details about Boujemaa Razgui:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptiveca...lutes-are-gone

As for Zimerman, again. There are no words...

Custom Title
    Is it true that Mao's Bells of Moscow program was originally made for Kwan? It would have been fantastic had Kwan skated that program..

fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Pamina, I've found through the years that it's a bit more costly but going with a tour group (Dash, Silver Blades, etc.) will always ensure you get good seats. We've used Dash for a Skate Canada, 2 Worlds and 2 Nationals and always had what we asked for. We like to be center ice, on the aisle and about 9 rows up. If you're any closer to the ice it's difficult to see the far corners.
    thanks for the tip, noskates I'll look into that

Page 22 of 90 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 ... LastLast