Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^To follow up on that, was there a limit in number of jumps in the combo? I thought it was three, but then I remembered that Irina did a 4-jump combo in SLC. Why didn't anyone try something crazy like a 6-jump combo for the wow factor? (Or perhaps someone did?)

gkelly

Record Breaker
combo with multiple single and double jumps by roller/ice skater

Such combinations or sequences were also common and at some points required by pair teams

sequence with two triples, a double, and some other hops, closely followed by a double axel

But I don't know of anyone doing more than three triples (or a quad plus several triples) in one combination or even one sequence. Just too difficult, and maybe a waste of triples that could be executed with better quality elsewhere in the program on their own.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Right, I'd forgotten about the "series of hop jumps." They seemed to have disappeared by the tail end of 6.0, replaced by jump combos closer to what we'd see today. (I'm fairly happy about this change, in singles skating, since it always seemed a bit jerky to me. I will miss G&G's sequences though!). I was talking more about something like 3Lz-3T-2T-2L (for the men; I dunno if any women can do this), since it could potentially be a wow move even if it didn't add any triples (just like the 4-3-2 was seen as far better than just 4-3). Landing 4 triples in combination would definitely be too difficult and wasteful.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Mind you sharing me the links of the performance? Since I don't follow ice dancing that much. I might try to identify the music.

Here is V/M's FD, if you know what piece of music did they use from the start to the end of the first lift that would be great because it wasn't Scriabin's Piano Concerto, Glazunov's Concerto No. 2 (Waltz) nor Glazunov's "The Seasons".

Thankyou :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkFqWNGcg4&list=WL&index=53

catchie

On the Ice
Here is V/M's FD, if you know what piece of music did they use from the start to the end of the first lift that would be great because it wasn't Scriabin's Piano Concerto, Glazunov's Concerto No. 2 (Waltz) nor Glazunov's "The Seasons".

Thankyou :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkFqWNGcg4&list=WL&index=53

That is from the Seasons, "Petit Adagio" from the Autumn part. They just mix the orchestra version with piano version.

Amei

Record Breaker
I was watching some Youtube videos of some summer performances, and I ran across a Julia Lipnitskaia performance where towards the end of her Schindler's List the music cut out, thank goodness it wasn't a competition.

It got me thinking, is there some kind of back-up for the music in competition? Like a second CD playing simultaneously where if there was a failure with the first all someone would have to do is turn up the volume on the second CD and the first CD off. Or a back-up MP3 track?

And what would happen if it were to occur during a competition and a skater's music cuts off, would they be allowed to restart their program entirely or where the music cut-off, etc.?

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sNExwng_t0&index=61&list=PLnAASBAJ4l-ipHwEaDTfxUQSsFXLHFXtl

gkelly

Record Breaker
See ISU Communication 1817 regarding Interruptions
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/isu-communications

The passages relevant to music interruptions:
1. If the tempo or quality of the music is deficient, the Competitor/s may restart the program from its beginning, provided the Referee is informed within 30 seconds after the start of the program.
2. If an interruption or stop in the music or any other adverse condition unrelated to the Competitor/s or his/their equipment, such as lighting, ice-condition etc. occurs, the Competitor/s must stop skating at the acoustic signal of the Referee. The Competitor/s shall continue from the point of interruption immediately after the problem has been solved. If, however, the interruption lasts longer than ten minutes, there shall be a second warm-up period according to Rule 549, paragraph 2 [in Rule 638, read: Rule 636, paragraph 2].

What was the famous ice dance or pairs competition, where the music stopped altogether and the couple just kept on and finished their program in silence?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
What was the famous ice dance or pairs competition, where the music stopped altogether and the couple just kept on and finished their program in silence?

1973 Worlds -- Rodnina/Zaitsev's music stopped in the middle and they finished the program without music. They got a standing ovation & won the event.

(Google makes me look so much smarter than I really am!)

Amei

Record Breaker
The Gordeeva and Grinkov one wasn't an issue of a music malfunction, that was a matter of the referee trying to get them to stop for Grinkov's loose boot strap and when they didn't pay attention to his initial signal, he killed the music

Amei

Record Breaker

ang709

Rinkside
The Gordeeva and Grinkov one wasn't an issue of a music malfunction, that was a matter of the referee trying to get them to stop for Grinkov's loose boot strap and when they didn't pay attention to his initial signal, he killed the music

Yeah, the description under the video in this link explains a bit about that. It says they kept skating believing it to be simply a music malfunction. Did they not hear the whistle or the buzzer? The video itself says they kept skating because their coach told them to. I don't remember the reason she gave in the book for continuing. Does anyone remember? My book is in a box right now (I'm moving this week), so I'll have to wait 'til the weekend to pull it out.

And I should clarify: the video of their actual performance doesn't start until about 1:25, and you do see them performing the beginning and end of it, but they cut away to the officials and the audience in the middle...

Amei

Record Breaker
Yeah, the description under the video in this link explains a bit about that. It says they kept skating believing it to be simply a music malfunction. Did they not hear the whistle or the buzzer?

I wonder if skaters are actually able to hear the whistles/buzzers over their music? I mean we can hear it, a) the commentator is pointing it out B) the sound on the ice vs. TV recording is probably different.

The video itself says they kept skating because their coach told them to. I don't remember the reason she gave in the book for continuing. Does anyone remember? My book is in a box right now (I'm moving this week), so I'll have to wait 'til the weekend to pull it out.

I've never read the book, but according to a comment on the video, it says that they were trained to listen only to their coach. Which seems really suspect/strange - a coach telling a pair to ignore a referee... That sounds more like a skater wanting to deflect the blame of what happened onto someone else (the 'I was only doing what I was told' defense)

ang709

Rinkside
I wonder if skaters are actually able to hear the whistles/buzzers over their music? I mean we can hear it, a) the commentator is pointing it out B) the sound on the ice vs. TV recording is probably different.

Yeah, and I guess if you're really skating in the moment and tuning out all distractions...

I've never read the book, but according to a comment on the video, it says that they were trained to listen only to their coach. Which seems really suspect/strange - a coach telling a pair to ignore a referee... That sounds more like a skater wanting to deflect the blame of what happened onto someone else (the 'I was only doing what I was told' defense)

The comment about the coach telling them to continue didn't make sense to me either.