Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Back to the skates on airlines. Yes - skates can be carried on but the individual TSA person at the airport can require the skates to be put in the checked luggage. It is very airport specific.

Awhile back I was told that whenever Team USA skates internationally, they carry an authorization letter from USFSA that they can give to the airlines if case of a problem.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    Is it true that Mao's Bells of Moscow program was originally made for Kwan? It would have been fantastic had Kwan skated that program..
    Tarasova choreographed Bells of Moscow for Kwan for the Olympics, but I don't know if the one for Mao and Kwan had the same choreography

Tripping on the Podium
    A little off topic... What do skaters do with all the presents they get?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by composer View Post
    A little off topic... What do skaters do with all the presents they get?
    IIRC, the stuffed toys are often donated to children's hospitals and similar places. Someone please correct if this is off-base.

I seem to be getting rather active in this thread. That sort of scares me, considering that it's called "stupid questions..."

Tripping on the Podium
    @skatedreamer thank you! I appreciate your answer. And this is actually one of my favorite threads, I've learnt so much here.

Rinkside
    This is airline specific actually, if you aren't a member of team USA and are traveling to a competition United and American require skates to be checked (sharp blades). Our local synchro team traveled to nationals and had to check their skates.

Quote Originally Posted by composer View Post
    @skatedreamer thank you! I appreciate your answer. And this is actually one of my favorite threads, I've learnt so much here.
    My pleasure! Always happy to share a bit of esoteric information...

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
    Eh you know, that's not always foolproof, not only because of TSA but also because of customs, although it's usually with checked luggage.

For example, earlier this year Boujemaa Razgui got 13 handcrafted flutes destroyed by customs. He makes them himself out of bamboo. Customs said his bags had "agricultural material" and took them all, and said they were destroyed. After 9/11, Krystian Zimerman who's a world-renowned pianist had his Steinway grand (!) confiscated and destroyed because some inspector said the glue used to hold the piano together "smelled like explosives". He was flying in for a concert and obviously not pleased. Nowadays he ships the parts separately, leaving an empty piano case in the U.S. to put them in when he arrives; he's also a piano technician so he can put the piano together himself.
    I guess this shows my ignorance, but it does makes sense in that other musicians typically ship/bring their own instruments to concerts. It never occurred to me that a concert pianist would have to ship a piano to his or her destination. I just assumed that they would have to play whatever piano the concert venue had available. I further assumed that the concert venue pretty much always had one of the top brands. Is shipping a specific piano to a venue common for concert pianists to do, or is Mr. Zimerman a particular case because he is a piano technician? I'm sorry, I know my question is not about skating, but now my curiosity is piqued.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Panpie View Post
    I guess this shows my ignorance, but it does makes sense in that other musicians typically ship/bring their own instruments to concerts. It never occurred to me that a concert pianist would have to ship a piano to his or her destination. I just assumed that they would have to play whatever piano the concert venue had available. I further assumed that the concert venue pretty much always had one of the top brands. Is shipping a specific piano to a venue common for concert pianists to do, or is Mr. Zimerman a particular case because he is a piano technician? I'm sorry, I know my question is not about skating, but now my curiosity is piqued.
    Oh for more portable instruments (violin, cello, etc.) yes the musicians typically take their own instrument with them. For a piano though, no -- the vast majority of pianists play whatever is available at the venue (although there are programs such as the Steinway Artists program where the piano manufacturer will arrange for one of their own brand to be available, for brand visibility). Zimerman takes his own piano because he's a piano technician and also because he wants to deliver the perfect sound at each venue -- he will set up his piano and tune it for the specific acoustics at each location.

Customs has a policy where confiscated items are destroyed, so that people don't accuse its employees of confiscating things just to steal them. At least that's the official line (I don't know what evidence they provide to show that the confiscated items really were destroyed). Thus when they confiscate stuff, people have no "appeal" or recourse other than to accept that the items are gone forever; my understanding is that they destroy things pretty quickly. People can't even ask for confiscated items to be sent back to the originating country at owner's expense or anything.

@Panpie/@Vanshilar, Panpie's question got me going and I scurried over to Google. Incredibly, one of the links that turned up was to a TSA Blog with "helpful" hints re: traveling w/ instruments. Who knew?

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/09/travelin...y-musical.html

Their advice re: checking instruments is a tad too optimistic for my taste but that's just me.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Every time I think about checking instruments, I think about this video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Custom Title
    Years ago I was on the same flight as a concert celloist. He purchased two seats side-by-side - one for him and one for his cello.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Every time I think about checking instruments, I think about this video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Thanks!!! In case you haven't seen it, here's another that popped up when I followed your link -- a fictional response from United:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuI3NxwI8c

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    So here is a stupid question

Are skaters allowed to use the sound of skating in their music? I have been working on a musical arrangement and I just finished recording my friends at the rink so I could overdub the sounds of spins and deep edges. I've incorporated it into my song. Are skaters allowed to use music that includes the sound of let's just say a spin? If they matched it up it could add extra effect. If they miss it will be quite odd I would say so there is definite risk. If in fact my friend uses my song in a competition could she be penalized for breaking a "sound barrier" [x2 ] rule of some sorts.

This seems to be by far my stupidest question yet. I'm sure more will come to me.

Custom Title
    No, there's no rule against it. No mandatory deductions. If the judges don't like the way the skater uses the music (or "music," as the case may be), they'll reflect that in the program component marks.

Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast