Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Custom Title
    Yeah, "Uggh, Canadians" is a little unfair. I raised the original viewpoint (Ito should've won the free, Witt deserved gold overall), and I happen to be Canadian. And as Gkelly (I think) pointed out, Ito winning the free would just give her... fourth place.

Still, Liz Manley's performance was great because she seized the moment and skated her heart out on home ice.

About choreographers charts, I once saw one that Lori Nicole made for Michelle Kwan. With a little care and artistic flair, these things could be works of art. I could see myself framing and displaying the Peggy Fleming ones on my walls.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Yeah, "Uggh, Canadians" is a little unfair. I raised the original viewpoint (Ito should've won the free, Witt deserved gold overall), and I happen to be Canadian. And as Gkelly (I think) pointed out, Ito winning the free would just give her... fourth place.
    I also should have made it clear that we Americans ain't no saints, either!

Medal or not, Ito certainly served notice that night that she was a force to be reckoned with.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    I was sort of saying that tongue in cheek. It just seemed strange though that after the S/P fiasco, Liz Manley was saying that she should have a gold medal given to her because the judging was just as corrupt back then (she probably has a point). I was like "Hon, you skated your best in your home country and surpassed your dreams by winning the silver. Now you think you should be retroactively given the GOLD?!?!?! Please.... Be thankful for what you have and for your one moment in time." The only other obnoxious whiner I can think of immediately off my head is Shae-Lynn, god was she a PITA to listen to. So unfortunately I can only think of three Canadians. I'm sure Americans are just as guilty, they just aren't as obnoxious. IMHO.

Custom Title
    Meh, I'm not against Liz Manley because she's an "obnoxious whiner." I don't think being a good sport means rolling over and accepting whatever result. I just don't think she deserved the gold medal because she didn't skate well enough. That's all. Same with S/P. I wouldn't have given them gold, because I think B/S were better. They're athletes, not saints.

What I care about is the skating, which I will defend and critique.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I was sort of saying that tongue in cheek. It just seemed strange though that after the S/P fiasco, Liz Manley was saying that she should have a gold medal given to her because the judging was just as corrupt back then (she probably has a point). I was like "Hon, you skated your best in your home country and surpassed your dreams by winning the silver. Now you think you should be retroactively given the GOLD?!?!?! Please.... Be thankful for what you have and for your one moment in time." The only other obnoxious whiner I can think of immediately off my head is Shae-Lynn, god was she a PITA to listen to. So unfortunately I can only think of three Canadians. I'm sure Americans are just as guilty, they just aren't as obnoxious. IMHO.
    Sheesh. I don't remember Manley saying anything like that in 2002 (not that it proves anything). 14 years after the fact -- enough already!

Thanks a lot gkelly. It's so nice that you take time to answer stupid questions.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    IIRC Peggy Fleming's autobiography The Long Program used this (in two pieces) as endpieces.

Yup, here it is -- on three pages at the beginning of the book.
    I don't have Peggy Flemings book and never saw her skating. Maybe I should order the book…

As far as I know -- and I cannot speak from personal experience with elite skaters -- skaters, coaches, or choreographers may draw them by hand as a choreography tool, mostly to keep track that the program is visiting all parts of the ice in interesting patterns.

A few weeks ago my coach drew part of such a pattern for me to suggest exiting a jump and entering the next one in a different direction in the program we were putting together.

Judges might sketch in travel patterns during the performance in progress as part of their note taking if they have adequate room on the papers they're given to take notes. But if they devote a lot of attention to mapping out the program they won't have time or attention to take many other notes and also input their GOEs into the computer during the performance.
    So the drawings are probably just a help for the coach and skater to remember their plan. Good luck with yours

If we're talking about the same thing, there wouldn't be any archive of such things. Skaters/coaches/choreographers might draw them on paper and then either throw them away or keep them in their own records for future reference. (E.g., could be useful for reviving an old program)

My coach had an app on her tablet where she could draw it on the screen with her finger. And then she didn't save/deleted it immediately.
    I'm pretty sure the pattern I saw was of a male skater from US or Canada. Maybe he just thought it was fun to show it on the net.

Anyway, thanks again

ETA wow, I jus saw that you can watch the actual pages in the book's preview... lovely drawings Now I have to find the skate on youtube and see if she follows her drawing

Custom Title
    The only egregious applause soundtrack I can remember is Vanessa Gusmeroli's 1997 LP. How she ever made the podium is beyond me.
    Fusar-Poli Margaglio 2002 FD, I Will Survive. Applause all the way in my memories. Surely less in reality but enough for a world reccord IMO.

Gusmeroli was lucky and she wasn't at 1997 Worlds.
    Lucky because she made the podium with a fourth place finish LP because Slutskaya was 6th in the short after a minor mistake I can't remember and despite maybe a 3/3 (can't remember clearly that event, I don't know why).
    Unlucky because she definitely should have won the SP instead of Lipinski and actually lost it because of the french judges who put her 2nd... it was a 5/4 decision. Guaillaguet would have his famous word after it happened, it was around : we have to stop thinking the US Ladies are always better. He must have been quite furious.

Gusmeroli SP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk47wTrUTrU

Lipinski SP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEeblaNbvc

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Wow, thanks for the side by side comparison. I never thought Gusmeroli was a good SKATER, too rough and little attention to the blade. But in this SP she showed otherwise, had bigger jumps, more interesting and difficult spins than Tara. I was impressed with Tara's basic skating, so smooth, fast and solid. Maybe it showed up more in the arena. But yeah, I have no problem if Gusmeroli was put first in this segment.

#TeamAUS
    I have a question for anyone who knows alot about late romantic russian composers.

In Virtue and Moir's FD, they list Glazunov's The Seasons, Waltz from Glazunov's 2nd Concerto and Scriabin's Piano Concerto in F.

However, the music from the start of the FD to the end of the first Straight Line lift is not from any of them. Does anyone know which piece is used at the start of their FD?

Thanks

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Mind you sharing me the links of the performance? Since I don't follow ice dancing that much. I might try to identify the music.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    What's that move that Mao does in her step sequences she spins in circles while on the tip of her blades called?

On a side note, why was hyperinflation banned?
    If she is on the flat of her blade it is a loop (turn learnt in figures) and if it is on her toe pick I would call it a toe turn, I don't think there is a name for it.

Custom Title
    Wow, thanks for the side by side comparison. I never thought Gusmeroli was a good SKATER, too rough and little attention to the blade. But in this SP she showed otherwise, had bigger jumps, more interesting and difficult spins than Tara. I was impressed with Tara's basic skating, so smooth, fast and solid. Maybe it showed up more in the arena. But yeah, I have no problem if Gusmeroli was put first in this segment.
    The thing is, if you change one judge in the short, had the french judges voted for Gusmeroli, the title would have went to Kwan since she won the LP. Slutskaya also had two or three 1st place finish in the LP I think.

Custom Title
    More questions about jump combos under 6.0: Was there a limit to how many three-jump combos you can do? In COP you're only allowed one, but from what I understand about 6.0, you're allowed as many as you like as long as you don't exceed 3 combinations maximum?

Custom Title
    More questions about jump combos under 6.0: Was there a limit to how many three-jump combos you can do? In COP you're only allowed one, but from what I understand about 6.0, you're allowed as many as you like as long as you don't exceed 3 combinations maximum?
    I think you're right -- I don't remember any rules about the number of jumps in a combo or sequence under 6.0.

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast