Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    New question: why (in your opinion, obviously!) do the judges give +2 and +3 GOEs to V/T SP lift? It looks really awkward to me...
    Because instead of rewarding each element as it is executed, they are still stuck in the 6.0 mindset and use GOE and PCS as if they were ordinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think many East Asian countries put the family name first.
    In some collectivist cultures (like China, Japan and Korea) family name comes first, given name second.

ISU should finally stop being imperialist bastards and start to respect that. Same with Spanish and Hispanic naming customs. IOC can do it, why can't ISU?

And yes, in Hungary the surname is listed first also.

(They should also start spelling skaters' names correctly, for that matter. For example, it's Amélie Lacoste and not Amelie Lacoste).

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    What does "Zhenya" mean?
    Evgeny and/or Evgenia.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8aloha View Post
    I am an announcer and a parent of a skater. In pairs and ice dance, the two individuals may come from different areas, thus represent different clubs. In pairs and dance specifically, skaters are not required to change clubs to reflect the club that they currently train in. (The are rules are a little different for singles skaters below the Novice level)

There are many reasons for each member of a team to continue to represent their own "club of origin." If the individuals have clubs in two different regions, it might be strategic to skate in a region that has fewer teams at their level so that they can advance from Sectionals to Nationals easier. As a parent of a skater, I know there are also "heart" ties, pride and gratefulness that make skaters want continue to represent their own clubs. Clubs also can be giving support in grants to skaters who skate at the qualifying competitions. Skaters usually have spent lots of years in their club and have many friends and supporters that they honor by continuing to skate for their respective club.

Sometimes in pairs and dance, the skaters may split time between the two clubs and coaches, sometimes not.

Hope that makes sense.
    Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Custom Title
    Why are so many people claiming the only reason Mirai is off the team is due to her race?

and

Why is the entire board ridiculously pessimistic right now?

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post

Because of USFS inconsistency in sending Denney/Coughlin and Max Aaron to Worlds, and not sending Mirai. It just seems too unfair, like they can apply their "rules" as they see fit (just like any other backroom-dealing federation). There, I said it!

Custom Title
    Ziggy, I read your title as "Axle of Evil" first, and found it greatly amusing.

Why are so many people claiming the only reason Mirai is off the team is due to her race?
    :
    Because racism is an important world issue that can arguably be applied in many aspects of society--but I don't think it was a very big factor in selecting the Olympic team compared to, say politics or sponsorship $$$. I believe that politics was the main motivator (again), which should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Because of USFS inconsistency in sending Denney/Coughlin and Max Aaron to Worlds, and not sending Mirai. It just seems too unfair, like they can apply their "rules" as they see fit (just like any other backroom-dealing federation). There, I said it!
    Ditto. I highly dislike the way that the USFSA decided to send the bronze medalists of other disciplines to the World Championships, but only skipped Mirai.

If I may try to be unbiased with this next point--As others in this thread have pointed out, to send Polina to the WC may have been a completely political decision to boost her up quickly and efficiently in front of international judges because the USFSA believes that she is the one who can (and will?) challenge the upcoming juniors from other countries. The fact that they sent Polina to the OT and WT indicates, to me, that they're investing heavily in her future and attempting to make her "potential" into reality.

I know. I had to watch episode 2 of tessa & Scott again just to "cleanse" myself of the negativity surrounding the other threads. I haven't ventured into them since!

Custom Title
    I would've thought if it was racism they would've also done D/C for Olympics over ZHANG/B as well.

My stupid question: if the lutz is the hardest non-axel jump, how come people have attempted a quad lutz but not a quad loop or flip? (to the best of my knowledge among the "elites")

Is there possibly a physical reason that a quad loop or flip might be harder than a quad lutz even if a triple lutz is harder than a trip loop/flip? (All my knowledge comes from tv/print so I dunno virtually anything except from what I've seen/read.)

I also found it weird that one Canadian pair does side-by-side lutzes but no one seems to do side-by-side loops or flips. Maybe that's just easier to time together? Does anyone do sbs loops or flips among the elites?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnhastings View Post
    I would've thought if it was racism they would've also done D/C for Olympics over ZHANG/B as well.

My stupid question: if the lutz is the hardest non-axel jump, how come people have attempted a quad lutz but not a quad loop or flip? (to the best of my knowledge among the "elites")

Is there possibly a physical reason that a quad loop or flip might be harder than a quad lutz even if a triple lutz is harder than a trip loop/flip? (All my knowledge comes from tv/print so I dunno virtually anything except from what I've seen/read.)

I also found it weird that one Canadian pair does side-by-side lutzes but no one seems to do side-by-side loops or flips. Maybe that's just easier to time together? Does anyone do sbs loops or flips among the elites?
    I know Daisuke Takahashi attempted 4F at 2010 Worlds. Also, I think one of Mishin's students attempted 4Lo, don't know who though -- just remember seeing a report of someone almost getting it.

Custom Title
    I'm not sure who among the elites does those jumps, by I've definitely seen skaters successfully do the quad loop on YouTube (I also remember seeing a Russian skater who was popping them off like they were nothing). I also remember seeing a Canadian skater do a quad flip on YouTube. I can't remember their names though.

Stupid question: What do commentators mean when they say a skater "looks tight"? Sometimes they also say a jump looks tight...which I guess means underrotated or not much height/flow?

Custom Title
    Cheerio......I think it's body language which may be hard to explain. Shoulders come up a little, the skater is shaking his hands/arms and legs coming on to the ice and just looks like the weight of the world is on him or her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi13 View Post
    Question!

Why does the British Eurosport pronounce Yuzuru's name wrong most of the time? For example Yazunori. And why do they sometimes mess up the skaters countries? For example Patrick Chan of China and Mirai Nagasu of Japan.
    This is not just a few figure skating announcers. The Brits as a nation have been doing this for at least a couple of centuries. Churchill stubbornly stuck to pronouncing "Nazis" as "Nartzees". Butchering French words has a hoary tradition there and was an infallible test of ethnicity long before DNA was discovered. Younger Brits have moved away from the linguistic mayhem of their forefathers, but I believe Prince Philip is still among the most instrumental in keeping alive the grand British tradition of the Cultural Gaffe.

A list of the Duke of Edinburgh's 65 greatest hits: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ive-65-1445185

Some gems:

9 To President of Nigeria, who was in national dress, 2003: “You look like you’re ready for bed!”

14 To a British trekker in Papua New Guinea, 1998: “You managed not to get eaten then?”

25 To a woman solicitor, 1987: “I thought it was against the law for a woman to solicit.”

36 To Scottish driving instructor, 1995: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?”

65 “People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.”

If there is one thing that can be said for him, he seems to be an equal opportunity offender.

Americans were never quite as bad, if only because a longer history of immigration provided more frequent opportunities for bringing a broader range of names and nationalities to the attention of the public at large.

(I kid, of course )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Cheerio......I think it's body language which may be hard to explain. Shoulders come up a little, the skater is shaking his hands/arms and legs coming on to the ice and just looks like the weight of the world is on him or her.
    I see. Thanks!

Just re-watched some programs from Nationals.

What do Scott and Sandra mean when they say that Polina's technique is "pure?" As a casual figure skating fan, I could not for the life of me, figure it out.

Custom Title
    Just re-watched some programs from Nationals.

What do Scott and Sandra mean when they say that Polina's technique is "pure?" As a casual figure skating fan, I could not for the life of me, figure it out.
    I think they meant that she has really solid technique, proper jump entrance edges, and so forth, that allows her skating to flow smoothly. Pure technique = pure skating, or something like that

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Different skaters like different jumps. Takahashi attempted 4flip in competition, IIRC.

Duhamel/Radford do all sbs triples (sans axel) in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    Stupid question: What do commentators mean when they say a skater "looks tight"? Sometimes they also say a jump looks tight...which I guess means underrotated or not much height/flow?
    Lack of flow on the landing and/or rotation just about completed, probably.

I don't think they know themselves what they mean by it. They just seem to throw out random words. They are just shockingly ineloquent.

What they probably referred to was the fact she was landing solid jumps?

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast