Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions Thread

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And Afair, they were dsq'd for not stopping at a referee's signal. The results show them as withdrawn, but I think dsq is the correct classification.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_...ionships#Pairs
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-23-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And Afair, they were dsq'd for not stopping at a referee's signal. The results show them as withdrawn, but I think dsq is the correct classification.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_...ionships#Pairs
    Actually, according to the video ang709 gave the link for, they were given the opportunity to re-skate at the end of the competition but weren't able to because they were too tired.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    The Gordeeva and Grinkov one wasn't an issue of a music malfunction, that was a matter of the referee trying to get them to stop for Grinkov's loose boot strap and when they didn't pay attention to his initial signal, he killed the music
    Yeah, the description under the video in this link explains a bit about that. It says they kept skating believing it to be simply a music malfunction. Did they not hear the whistle or the buzzer? The video itself says they kept skating because their coach told them to. I don't remember the reason she gave in the book for continuing. Does anyone remember? My book is in a box right now (I'm moving this week), so I'll have to wait 'til the weekend to pull it out.

And I should clarify: the video of their actual performance doesn't start until about 1:25, and you do see them performing the beginning and end of it, but they cut away to the officials and the audience in the middle...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ang709 View Post
    Yeah, the description under the video in this link explains a bit about that. It says they kept skating believing it to be simply a music malfunction. Did they not hear the whistle or the buzzer?
    I wonder if skaters are actually able to hear the whistles/buzzers over their music? I mean we can hear it, a) the commentator is pointing it out B) the sound on the ice vs. TV recording is probably different.

Quote Originally Posted by ang709 View Post
    The video itself says they kept skating because their coach told them to. I don't remember the reason she gave in the book for continuing. Does anyone remember? My book is in a box right now (I'm moving this week), so I'll have to wait 'til the weekend to pull it out.
    I've never read the book, but according to a comment on the video, it says that they were trained to listen only to their coach. Which seems really suspect/strange - a coach telling a pair to ignore a referee... That sounds more like a skater wanting to deflect the blame of what happened onto someone else (the 'I was only doing what I was told' defense)

Rinkside
    I wonder if skaters are actually able to hear the whistles/buzzers over their music? I mean we can hear it, a) the commentator is pointing it out B) the sound on the ice vs. TV recording is probably different.
    Yeah, and I guess if you're really skating in the moment and tuning out all distractions...

I've never read the book, but according to a comment on the video, it says that they were trained to listen only to their coach. Which seems really suspect/strange - a coach telling a pair to ignore a referee... That sounds more like a skater wanting to deflect the blame of what happened onto someone else (the 'I was only doing what I was told' defense)
    The comment about the coach telling them to continue didn't make sense to me either.

I'll give someone 12 bazillion dollars if you can tell me who Johnny Weir is skating with when he skates with a Russian pairs couple? I can't find the video on You Tube to save my life because I don't know the names of the pairs couple and I am trying to show it to my friend.
    It was a show somewhere and Johnny skated with a pairs team from Russia.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    I'll give someone 12 bazillion dollars if you can tell me who Johnny Weir is skating with when he skates with a Russian pairs couple? I can't find the video on You Tube to save my life because I don't know the names of the pairs couple and I am trying to show it to my friend.
    It was a show somewhere and Johnny skated with a pairs team from Russia.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
    It's Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov, retired ice dancers turned choreographers. Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0_DeGtmLg

How do I collect my 12 bazillion dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    It's Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov, retired ice dancers turned choreographers. Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0_DeGtmLg

How do I collect my 12 bazillion dollars?
    Yea..ummm.. the checks in the mail.

Thank you, I saved it so I won't lose it again. I love this performance.

Custom Title
    Under 6.0, if a skater landed a jump in the SP but crashed into the boards and fell (like Patrick Chan's infamous incident), what would that be counted as? Would it be called a fall on a jump and get the 0.3-4 deduction? Or would it be something like Sale/Pelletier's final pose fall in the SLC SP--no mandatory deductions, but it interrupts the performance and will be reflected in both marks at the discretion of each judge?

Rinkside
    What frames-per-second are the replay cameras used by the tech crew?

How many cameras are there, and do the callers watch all angles at once or do they have to ask for each angle?

Are the clips archived permanently somewhere, or are they overwritten after each skater?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    A very, very good question. I hope someone knows the answer, Ultra.

Welcome to Golden Skate!

Custom Title
    As far as I know there is only one official camera angle for the technical panel. Any other angles from TV cameras are not used officially.

I have no idea about frames per second or archiving.

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    As far as I know there is only one official camera angle for the technical panel. Any other angles from TV cameras are not used officially.
    I have no idea about frames per second or archiving.
    I am sorry to ask this, but if there is only one camera angle for the tech panel, then if they have a wrong call due to that particular angel, or they can't see it clearly enough, then can they ask for the help from other TV cameras? or the rules are against it?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    What frames-per-second are the replay cameras used by the tech crew?

How many cameras are there, and do the callers watch all angles at once or do they have to ask for each angle?

Are the clips archived permanently somewhere, or are they overwritten after each skater?
    I do not know the frames per second, but only one camera angle (designated to tech panel) used as it is connected to the IJS computer system. The video replay operator cuts the video into the individual elements so the tech panel and judges can for example can replay that 3Lz to see if there is an edge (judges have real time and tech panel can slow down the video). The video is cut as the skater is skating not at the end of the program

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I am sorry to ask this, but if there is only one camera angle for the tech panel, then if they have a wrong call due to that particular angel, or they can't see it clearly enough, then can they ask for the help from other TV cameras? or the rules are against it?
    Even if they were allowed to do that, it wouldn't be possible, the video camera is get up with the IJS system so the judges and tech can see the video on their screen as the skater is skating. When setting up the IJS it is not as simple as unplugging one camera and plugging in another.

Custom Title
    Are there any coaches these days who can actually teach school figures? The only one I know for sure is Machida's coach.

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast